User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,238
XR650L Wallet Lightening

Well......i intended on pulling the engine,getting a few engine mods done/refresh and just a general cleaning/lubing of the whole bike...

Ya.....well that exploded into about 2k of parts coming back from Florida with my folks,,who stay there for the winter...and come back early April..

To say i got carried away is an understatement (according to me lovely wife)...

Sooooooooo...i`ve been talked(read conned) into a rebuild thread by TheBigMan(thanks Biggy) ,so here we go..

I took this....

And pulled the engine out in the late fall and stripped the bike to it`s bones..

My real intention was to really clean the shit out of it,,regrease,and reassemble

Well about xmas time i decided i was going to repaint the frame,,i figured out the cost of the spray cans/versus getting the proper gun and supplys and spraying it properly..a friend of mine who is way cool was going to blast it for me..

Well.......then i remembered my company owns a PC shop....and decided to call and find out how much it would cost to get it powder-coated,and also see what colors they had,,i figured it would be too costly..but what the hell,couldn`t hurt to call.....well he sends up a sample of steel done in what he called pearl silver...then tells me 140 bucks...which i have to add 10% onto for employees for the company i work for.......well f that..i`m not going to work my arse off cleaning/blasting/painting for that kinda money,,probably cost me more than that in the end anyway,,and spraying something with a dozen round pipes on it is no friggin treat neither,,BTDT........so off she went,,he told me 2 weeks........

So the next day it shows up at the shop all done,,quick 2 weeks

Well it turned out pretty sweet.......then i realized i forgot to send the subframe FFS .........so i sent it down,,it returned the next day,,done for free..

Oh..........i flushed the oil tank throughly before it went out...........then i flushed the oil tank about 4 times with gas after the powder coating was done,you DO NOT want sand going throught the oil pump/engine....i then flushed the frame resevoir three times with clean engine oil.....i was not taking any chances..and did not want flash rusting of the internal oil resevoir after cleaning it out with gas neither...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 05:00 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Well,in the tradition of getting carried away with a job........i decided that the new frame wasn`t gonna look cool with all the black painted parts looking weathered/rusted.so i decided to repaint those..i thought i was just going to do the upper triple clamp as it looked a little weathered/paint chipped......but noooooooooo once i got into this i had a dozen parts to prep/sand... but i think it was worth it to see it all shiny and clean for about the first or second ride...

The frame for the battery box definately needed some paint though,it was starting to rust...

Then it was time to start assembling some of this crap...

I decided to put in new steeering bearings,,they had water intrusion and were starting to stick some...then i put the trips on..

Then i spent some time cleaning the airbox out and installed it again..and the left footpeg..

Then the right footpeg backet got installed..

I spent some time cleaning the battery box,,it was getting pretty nasty inside..

Putting the wiring harness back on...

Then the regulator and ignition coil..

Reinstalled the side stand...and new switch that i got from a fellow ADVrider for next to free

Asssembled the passenger pegs again........and installed those..

So here`s where the frame is at....for now anyway..i gotta lug this into the garage this weekend before it gets to heavy/bulky and is a problem carrying up the basement stairs...

So that`s it for now......i`m gonna get into the engine reassembly alittle today,,i had the crank rebuilt by CycleWizard......so stay tuned...more pics to come...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 11:13 AM
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Awesome. I look forward to the rest of this thread.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,196
This thread looks strangely familiar.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
finally a brian rebuild!

how to we send beers?

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
This thread looks strangely familiar.

FFS........every XRL rebuild looks "familiar" to you .........

Just crack open a beer and watch,,,this is gonna get entertaining..

B
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
how to we send beers?

cheers

I`ll PM my addy..........but you better send express,,i`m getting really low on those suds ya know

B
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
that the least I can do with all the help you gave me on my rebuilds

let me know! jajaja

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
I refuse to feel inferior even though my bike will never look like this Keep up the outstanding work

AZ TOM screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 10:54 AM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post

B
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Alrighty then..............

On to the engine for a bit i guess

This is one of the shit load of boxes i opened today...

Just like freekin xmas here the last few days,,,,,and i`ve got another pile of boxes coming sometime soon too

Here`s what`s in this one...

CW gave the crank some lovin...........new rod,,,trued and balanced it too......... yeaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa

Getting hungry,time for lunch.........oh crap..not this shit again...

So after freezing the crank for 1/2 hour and heating the case at 225 for 20 minutes....

Out of the oven comes the case,,supported to give clearance..

Don`t forget that oil slinger washer,,,you`ll be pissed to find it later on...

And dropped the crank in the case 1/2 with a plop........

B

techforlife screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 10:47 AM
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

So.off into the basement to start assembling..

I had Biggy get me the FMZX650 overdrive fifth gear,,,and he sent it to CW......who sent it on to my folks in florida with the crank...

Here`s the 2 gears..side by side....the new FMX gear is on the right...

And here she is assembled to the shaft,,ready to go in........i already had the NX650 second gear on the other shaft as i put that in a couple of years ago....

I intend on running 14/45 gear set on the bike this year,,with the overdrive i`ll still be able to fly down the highway........i may even go to a 48 rear sprocket,,though i think with all the engine work,,,,more low end won`t be needed

And in goes the shift forks and both sets of shafts in one shot...easy as pie

Now.......get a big f`in screwdriver.......and while twisting the screwdriver in between the balancer gear teeth.........insert a pin to hold them in place so you can get the balancer gear in the case..

Then throw that in place,,making sure to align the dots...

I bought a full set of gaskets off fleabay.........K&S makes a really nice set of gaskets for the XR.....silicone lined just like OE.......perfect fit,never had an issue with this aftermarket set........and you get EVERYTHING except oil seals....

So after getting the trans in and balancer,on went the other case side..

Make sure after torquing the bolts all to spec you razor blade this off flush....or you`ll have nasty oil leaks there,,a dab of high heat silcone will be added there before installing the cylinder base gasket....

Now........i bought a used oil pump off fleabay from a seller i`ve dealt with before,,the bike had 56 miles on it...i pulled the pump apart to see...yup..........no wear at all..hadta have low miles on it to look this good...

I replaced my oil pump about 12k ago at the last rebuild,,it showed slight wear,,so now i have a spare i guess..

The reason for pulling the engine apart this year was purely to mod it more,......More compression.........porting the head,,new HRC clone CW cam...KibbleWhite valves,springs,Ti locks........102mm JE piston at 10.5-1 with the head reworked/shaved ...... should be interesting this year........i`ll post up pics of the head and cylinder when it gets here...

My folks had to send part of my parts with a friend as i had bought so much shit that it was over their limit when coming across the border...splitting up the parts with 2 people saves me duty charges

B

techforlife screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 11:26 AM
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Lemme get this straight... you powder coated and primped everything and are going to put the footpegs on all skunky looking?!

I'll be watching you... no more short cuts!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
I refuse to feel inferior even though my bike will never look like this Keep up the outstanding work

It`s not gonna be that sweet,,trust me......i`m lazy as hell...i`ll go so far then say screw it

B