User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
kaltblitz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Anyone using a Speed Triple?

I've spent the last four years on an almost stock Aprilia RSV Mille R. Being 6'3"/230 lbs distance was not this bikes thing with me.

I'm looking at purchasing a zero-mileage 2010 (last year of round headlights) Triumph Speed Triple. Anyone rocking one of these bikes for distance riding? I did a search and didn't see many recent posts.
kaltblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Longbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
My son and I did a 3500 mile trip from Fl to Neb and Matt rode his Triple with no problems but your are a bit bigger then him. He said a big tank bag made a world of difference because he could rest on it while riding.
Longbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I really can't see a Triple as a long haul bike. Its fun to rip on twisties and through traffic, but to just cruise and eat up miles... I dunno. Seating ergos are more towards sporty. You are not crouched over the tank as you would on any other crotch rocket, but it is still a forward slanted seating.
Also its a naked bike, so you are constantly being battered by the wind. Again, its fun to feel it when you are putzing around, but for a long trip, when you are on the road hour after hour after hour.... I think it would get old really quickly.

I guess if its a trip once in a while, you can tough it out, but I doubt it would make a comfortable, dedicated long trips rig.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
The Speed Triple just had a major reconfigure, for the better. So if you're sticking with the older design, you'll be missing out on some big improvements. You could always put round headlights on the new bike.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I really can't see a Triple as a long haul bike. Its fun to rip on twisties and through traffic, but to just cruise and eat up miles... I dunno. Seating ergos are more towards sporty. You are not crouched over the tank as you would on any other crotch rocket, but it is still a forward slanted seating.
Also its a naked bike, so you are constantly being battered by the wind. Again, its fun to feel it when you are putzing around, but for a long trip, when you are on the road hour after hour after hour.... I think it would get old really quickly.

I guess if its a trip once in a while, you can tough it out, but I doubt it would make a comfortable, dedicated long trips rig.
Everyone has different requirements. For me a slight forward lean on a naked bike is perfect as the wind counteracts the forward lean resulting in a fairly neutral weighting. Bikes with fairings and an upright seating position put a lot more weight on my back which, for me, is not as comfortable.

Another key difference is in the smoothness of the air. With a naked bike you are in clean air, every bike I had with a fairing involved some degree of buffeting. I can happily bang out 700-800 mile days on mt Speed Triple, the suspension can be harsh over expansion joints on the freeway, but I suspect I could adjust that out if i could be bothered.

I did 8000 miles in 4 weeks on my R1200GSA and if I had to do it over I wouldn't hesitate to take the Speedy if I could pack small enough to get my gear to fit.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
I had a Speedy for a while, and at 6' I found it to be uncomfortable. I also like the lean-forward position and hate windshields. I ended up buying a K1200R which feels like my Speedy (ergos-wise) but longer. Far more comfortable for distance. But, what surprised me most is that the KR came with an optional "windshield" which looked so small I assumed it was purely for decoration. But it is incredibly effective at punching holes through air -- even heavy headwinds. If I ever got rid of my KR I'd keep that shield for the replacement.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39189
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,440
Depends on what you consider comfortable.

I'm 6' 205 and I can pull 700 mile days on my Speed Triple, but my thighs are DONE when I get off the bike. The 2005-2010s are a bit better in the peg to seat clearance department, they have a couple more inches.

Mileage may vary.

As to being naked, you get used to it. All of the Speed Triple lean you forward a bit, so once your neck adjusts, its fine unless you are used to sitting behind a touring fairing. The other handy thing is that you can do the chain and sprockets in a parking lot if you need to, with the bike sitting on the sidestand no less.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
HighRiver
taking the checkered

Oddometer: 71
All Day Long

This bike is good for everything you can throw at it. Twisties, long hauls, whatever you want. For someone of your stature though, I would look at upgrading the suspension, the seat, and some Renthal streetfighter bars(swept out further, wider, with a rise).
I'm @ 56k miles on my '07 and ride it everywhere I can. No regrets.

At the very least take it for a test ride and see what you think of the ergonomics and such.
Motomarathon, CO. 2010 ASMA #309
IBA#34978~ SS1000~ 10.11.08
B2B Insanity~ BB1500~ 10.17.10
Alaska Blog-http://3umphak.wordpress.com/
HighRiver is offline   Reply With Quote