Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #106
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1OJU View Post
Helmet laws are sweet, I sure as hell do not want to pay for someone else's health issues if they could have been easily avoided by means of a brain bucket.

But, this is a free country, and if a dude wants to rock straight skull and bomb down the freeway/twisties, let them.
Just like wearing condoms is not mandatory, and folk could well argue for the rights of infected fellows to take a partner without any protection, and spread their own particular infection all among the female population.

Uh yeah - here's a new word to learn - Syphilis

Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #107
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Just how long are you waiting for a fight?

I do not buy into the "buy an Aria" (or Shoei) You got a $600 head or a $60 head... bullshit. I am more of a "Get one that fits and wear it" type.

It is a recommendation only. A head blast to the pavement is low on the list of why I personally like to wear a helmet. The wind, sand, bugs, rain, and other crap that hits me in the face gets in my eyes are higher on my list as to why...

In 2001 (the last time I rode without a helmet) I rode two miles into town to pick up a few items from the store and dry my hair after having camped out at and taking a morning dip in Seeley Lake, Montana.

A Bee to the face at 70mph was my last and greatest leason. NEVER AGAIN.
I do agree with what your saying and I think we both agree that it is only a recommendations. While I ride my Harley, I wear my new modular Shoei helmet. It's not what the usual Harley crowd wears, but then again, I don't care what other people think (about my helmet). I ride for myself. I've never been accused of winning a beauty pageant but believe you, me. I don't want to jack up the mug that I have. And about that bee sting...OUCH. When I was stationed in Hawaii, I hit quire a few VERY LARGE bugs but fortunately had my full face.

And as far as wating for a fight, I don't care to do that with my motorcycle family. Actually, I don't really do it much at all. I have George St. Pierre on retainer. So, how 'bout I just buy you a virtual barley pop
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #108
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,526
Wait,,, No weight oh hell never mind Cheers
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #109
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Just like wearing condoms is not mandatory, and folk could well argue for the rights of infected fellows to take a partner without any protection, and spread their own particular infection all among the female population.
I never heard of someone spreading infections because of not wearing a helmet.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #110
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1OJU View Post
Helmet laws are sweet, I sure as hell do not want to pay for someone else's health issues if they could have been easily avoided by means of a brain bucket.

But, this is a free country, and if a dude wants to rock straight skull and bomb down the freeway/twisties, let them.
Well hell, we all pay for someone else's health issues if they smoke crack, or drink till they have cirrhosis of the liver, or have unprotected sex and need an abortion or STS treatment or cradle to grave welfare payments... The government should ban ALL dangerous behaviors! Remember, if it saves the life of even on person it'd be worth it right? (sarcasm right there, I know quite a few people I wouldn't piss on if they were burning...)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #111
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
I never heard of someone spreading infections because of not wearing a helmet.
Modular condons are my particular ones of choice..........in the Hi-Vis Colors............
(of course, I had my "wings clipped" back in 1994 so it's a moot resevoir point.......)
Moto-Kafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #112
aint_life_grand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Jerry Curiak...said he might take his Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic for a helmetless ride later today...
He said helmets make riding a less pleasant experience. They are heavy and restrict vision and hearing, he said.

aint_life_grand screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 11:51 AM
aint_life_grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #113
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
As do I....I have become so accustomed to wearing it I feel odd if I don't. Just like a seat belt in a car...I don't have to wear one but I don't feel comfortable when I do not wear it.
Same here.

It has become a part of my riding experience, and I don't mind that one bit.

-Jake
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #114
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
are the rider say that ff helmet are very heavy have loads of nosie and bad vison must of been using a simpsons helmet ie the same as the stig on topgear.

as my ff shoei has good front vison and my mirrors mean i get good rear vison plus its lot light than those simpsons helmets. i would wear a helmet even if the law in the uk was change.

my dad started riding in the uk in the 1960ish before the helmet law was in and he still use what was best that the time. and he had some bad crashish in his time and still rides now.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #115
marco-polo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Well hell, we all pay for someone else's health issues if they smoke crack, or drink till they have cirrhosis of the liver, or have unprotected sex and need an abortion or STS treatment or cradle to grave welfare payments.
That's the point of insurance, yes - you pay for my accidents and I pay for yours. In a perfect world we'd all take on a roughly equal amount of risk and we'd all be getting a fair deal, but since we don't live in a perfect world, there are people who take on more than they've paid for, and they get subsidized by the rest of us.

I don't know whether helmet laws make a difference - do they save me money, cost me money, or are they a wash. Since I wear a helmet 100% of the time, law or not, I suspect that a mandatory helmet law saves me money, reducing my insurance costs and my Medicare/Medicaid payments by a few bucks. It could just as easily be a wash, or might even cost me money. (Sort of like anti-smoking laws - since smokers die younger and faster than non-smokers, the Medicare/Medicaid system pays out less for them.)

On the other hand, people (everybody, including me, and I do this for a living) have a really poor ability to calculate odds for rare events (like an accident resulting in death or disability on a motorcycle) and make decisions based on this calculation. On the other hand, that's what insurers and governments (who are, as the joke goes, insurers with an army) do best. There's a role for the state here, and (like it or not) the state's pretty involved in public safety and transportation already

I'm not prejudging the outcome. it could go either way - if we're paying $1,000 per year of life saved, helmet laws are a gimme; if we're paying $100,000,000 per QALY, helmet laws are insane. Maybe someone could do a back of the envelope estimate. But the whole anti-nanny-state-pro-freedom/anti-freeloaders-pro-total responsibility argument's been done before, and it goes nowhere. We all like freedom, we all hate restrictions we see as unreasonable, we all dislike having to pay for freeloaders, and we all want all people to take full responsibility for their actions. So we agree on all the important taglines. We just disagree about helmet laws.
marco-polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #116
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco-polo View Post
I don't know whether helmet laws make a difference - do they save me money, cost me money, or are they a wash. Since I wear a helmet 100% of the time, law or not, I suspect that a mandatory helmet law saves me money, reducing my insurance costs and my Medicare/Medicaid payments by a few bucks. It could just as easily be a wash, or might even cost me money. (Sort of like anti-smoking laws - since smokers die younger and faster than non-smokers, the Medicare/Medicaid system pays out less for them.)

On the other hand, people (everybody, including me, and I do this for a living) have a really poor ability to calculate odds for rare events (like an accident resulting in death or disability on a motorcycle) and make decisions based on this calculation. On the other hand, that's what insurers and governments (who are, as the joke goes, insurers with an army) do best. There's a role for the state here, and (like it or not) the state's pretty involved in public safety and transportation already

I'm not prejudging the outcome. it could go either way - if we're paying $1,000 per year of life saved, helmet laws are a gimme; if we're paying $100,000,000 per QALY, helmet laws are insane. Maybe someone could do a back of the envelope estimate. But the whole anti-nanny-state-pro-freedom/anti-freeloaders-pro-total responsibility argument's been done before, and it goes nowhere. We all like freedom, we all hate restrictions we see as unreasonable, we all dislike having to pay for freeloaders, and we all want all people to take full responsibility for their actions. So we agree on all the important taglines. We just disagree about helmet laws.
Saves you money?!?

No.

goes into the pockets of executives and bueraucrats that feel they are ENTITLED to bonuses, yes.

Do you have any idea how corporations and governments work?

It's not unhelmeted motorcyclists sucking up healthcare dollars here. It's junkie sacks of shit that come into the ED (on foot or even worse BY AMBULANCE) looking for opiates. And we have to treat them. I just hope they find a way to an hero sooner than later.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #117
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
i could care less who wears what... but. Please pick up your own tab for long term health care.
agreed!
why no huge movement to repeal seat-belt laws? it's the same thing isn't it?

205'd

I have to say, I am in the group that wears a helmet regardless of the law. In states where a helmet is mandatory if the state isn't going to enforce it (DOT sticker for Tupperware bowl bought on eBay), then why bother? In RI, no helmet is required, but MSF training is.. I guess the lawmakers thought the message might soak in that way (education vs legislation) not the case. in MA a helmet is required, but generally to anti-helmet crowd rides with a faux helmet as a protest. big deal.. you want to change the law? dead set against helmets? go without, get the ticket and fight the law. be the change if it's that important to you.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.

geg screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 06:46 AM
geg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #118
Thanantos OP
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
agreed!
why no huge movement to repeal seat-belt laws? it's the same thing isn't it?

205'd
Basically, but you haven't had motorist screaming to the legislature for years that they want the right to go seatbelt free.

AND ABATE successfully made this an economic issue by arguing the law deterred tourism in Michigan.
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #119
The Stew
Why not Zoidberg?

Oddometer: 50
You know I can't help but fill a little silly when I roll up to a stop light in 80 degree weather wearing full on ATGATT (Helmet, armored pants, armored jacket, armored gloves, steel toe boots) when there are two or three other bikes there and these guys are wearing tank tops or just a jacket or just regular clothes and glasses.

But then again all I have to think is even in 10mph crash those guys are going to get ruined by that pavement where as I would just slide along in pain get up and dust off, pain going away, and ride on.

I had my faceshield up one day when it was hot getting some wind across it and I rode through a giant black cloud of nats. NEVER AGAIN. That face shield is down or at the very most just cracked ALL THE TIME.
2006 KLR650 Aztek Red / SW Motec Bars, Givi Top Case, Tank Bag, PMR Rear Luggage Guard, IMS Pro pegs, Mirror Relocation mod, Moose Folding Shift Lever, Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators, T-Mod, Coleman Seat Cover, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Horse Saddlebags, Drill Through Subframe Upgrade, 12.9 Bolts, Doohickey, 16TFS, AGM Battery, AeroLED Tail Light
The Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #120
R22B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stew View Post
You know I can't help but fill a little silly when I roll up to a stop light in 80 degree weather wearing full on ATGATT (Helmet, armored pants, armored jacket, armored gloves, steel toe boots) when there are two or three other bikes there and these guys are wearing tank tops or just a jacket or just regular clothes and glasses.

But then again all I have to think is even in 10mph crash those guys are going to get ruined by that pavement where as I would just slide along in pain get up and dust off, pain going away, and ride on.

I had my faceshield up one day when it was hot getting some wind across it and I rode through a giant black cloud of nats. NEVER AGAIN. That face shield is down or at the very most just cracked ALL THE TIME.
Woo, my first post!

I ride a Zuma 125 in full gear. Shin high riding boots, armored coat, armored pants, riding gloves, neon green vest, and a neon green helmet. Sure, I feel goofy wearing all the gear on a scooter when people, who are riding things much bigger and faster are wearing less but you know what? Going down at 50mph on a scooter is no different than going 50mph on cruiser. The road hurts, so I choose to wear everything I can to protect my ass. Sweating is a small price I'll pay in exchange for massive and epic skin graphs.

With that being said, I think it should your choice if you want to wear a helmet. Would I ever ride without one? No way in hell but its good knowing I can if I wanted to ;)
R22B is offline   Reply With Quote