User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
ChuBrocka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Red hot glowing exhaust pipe

I have power loss and a red hot glowing exhaust pipe on my 2006 Triumph Scrambler (only the top pipe). I'm bright enough to know that's bad, not new enough to have little to no idea my it happened. It's my first bike and I've had it just over a year. Here's the tale:
- nice ride of Thursday afternoon and stopped for gas part way along. Made the noob mistake of buying the ethanol blend
- everything was running sweet and about 70 km later we got near our destination and stopped to check a map for the last short stretch
- after checking the directions I had a bit of trouble turning it over and once it was running the power was way low and things got louder
- only had about 2 km to go so I powered through. Let her cool down for about 20-30 minutes and decided it may be the ethanol blend causing carb issues.
- got rolling again and rode about 4 km to Canadian tire with the bike seeming to run better. Bought a gas can and siphon and replaced the ethanol blend with premium.
- started heading home and everything seemed good again, but about 60-70 km into the ride there was a sudden power loss again.
- at this point it was late, cold and we had 60 km to go so I had to limp it home and it got to the point that the top exhaust pipe was literally glowing red hot. I stopped repeatedly to let it cool off a bit and managed to get it home.

It's at the shop this morning and I thought I'd see what you guys thought so I don't get taken for a ride. Based on my description the guy at the shop (without looking at it yet) said probably the worst case scenario is a blown ring that would probably end up in the neighborhood of $2000 to fix. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

I'll update the post once the shop has had a look and gives me their theory.

No word from the shop, but here is a pic for your viewing pleasure:

Thanks for all the tips folks! Awesome how quick people respond to this kind of thing.

The gas was 10% ethanol and 89 octane if that helps.

A muffler fault sounds good to me in this case. The fella I bought the bike from sold it with two extra sets of pipes (Triumph TORS and Thunderbike pipes). I put the stock ones on so I didn't piss of the neighbors in my townhouse block. Still no word from the garage though. They looked pretty busy pulling bikes from storage when I dropped mine off so I guess I'll cut them some slack on that.

ChuBrocka screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 03:03 PM Reason: Added pic and corrected typo, added detail
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,320
Perhaps an intake air leak, leaning things out and heating everything up? Happened on my lawn mower, would run great for a bit but as things warmed up a gap would open between the Carb and the intake and it'd lose power and overheat.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Using gas with ethanol in it did not cause this.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Given it's the muffler glowing red and not the header I'd first suspect a collapsed baffle or some other fault with the muffler itself. If these have converters built in then an occlusion could easily lead to the power loss and overheating. It may be time to spring for those aftermarket slip-ons you have been hoping for.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim mckittrick View Post
given it's the muffler glowing red and not the header i'd first suspect a collapsed baffle or some other fault with the muffler itself. If these have converters built in then an occlusion could easily lead to the power loss and overheating. It may be time to spring for those aftermarket slip-ons you have been hoping for.
+1
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
Given it's the muffler glowing red and not the header I'd first suspect a collapsed baffle or some other fault with the muffler itself. If these have converters built in then an occlusion could easily lead to the power loss and overheating. It may be time to spring for those aftermarket slip-ons you have been hoping for.

whatever caused it (it cold be a valve not closing, an air leak, as noted, or any one of a number of things), it wasn't the gas . . . . .a collapsed ring sounds odd, as well . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,413
ethanol blend?

Did you fill up with E85 ethanol blend? This will most assuredly cause problems, usually before you get to the street. A friend did this to a Toyota and it quit after two blocks. The dealer got it going for 200 bucks, and it took two subsequent fuel filter changes to get it right.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,394
+1 for a failed cat. Was the header pipe glowing too? Might have tried a different muffler pack, before giving it to a shop.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
ChuBrocka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
The only thing glowing was the top muffler. Cooked the chrome pretty well.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
You have a faulty exhaust. The engine is not the problem.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,320
I agree it looks muffler related. i'ed have them look there first before they screw with your motor and screw you out of your hard earned cash.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post
Using gas with ethanol in it did not cause this.
+1

Ethanol is the bew Great Satan, the new Bogeyman. Every damned thing is ethanol's fault, like everything used to be Bush's fault and now it is Obama's. Not that I'm in favor of it, but that's all that is sold at gas stations everywhere I've lived for the last couple of decades. All our cars/trucks, bikes, chainsaws, mowers, etc. all run on ethanol blend.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I agree it looks muffler related. i'ed have them look there first before they screw with your motor and screw you out of your hard earned cash.
+1. Or bail the bike out and check it out yourself to minimize possible "screwage".
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
remove just the muffler, go for a spin (yeah it'll be loud..) bet your power comes right back. it is not engine related, or an air leak. it looks exactly like a failed catalytic.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
+1 on the muffler, get it out of the shop before they try and prove it's ring related and your paying to have it put back together.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote