Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #151
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,101
About a month ago, I contacted one of the major electronics importer shops.
They figured finding the part would be a cinch (I gave the both the -12 and the -20 P/Ns),
they have offices in Japan and spread across Asia...
The guy came back empty-handed about a week ago....

PS:
If you have not read the latest on this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706033
(page 27 - post 399)
BMW has re-designed the flywheel to allow the stator to be cooled by air/oil flow....

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 06:19 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #152
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
I had luck and got a Shindengen FH020AA regulator from roadstercycle.com. Don't think he got any left though....

Got the local shop to cut and bend a stainless bracket

Cut the old wires, did some soldering and mounted the bracket. As You can see I moved the regulator a bit up/forward compared to stock since this little baby with it's connectors is a bit longer than the stock r/r .

Almost done! (I know: They are owersized. But the wire was in the package and I think they look nice )

Done!

And the result at idle after 30 seconds

It's no problem mounting the regulator. It took me an hour or so. It fits nicely where the stock regulator is. The hard part is getting hold of a Shindengen regulator.

Hopefully my new Deka battery will have a long and prosperous life now.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #153
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
I had luck and got a Shindengen FH020AA regulator from roadstercycle.com. Don't think he got any left though....

Got the local shop to cut and bend a stainless bracket

Cut the old wires, did some soldering and mounted the bracket. As You can see I moved the regulator a bit up/forward compared to stock since this little baby with it's connectors is a bit longer than the stock r/r .

Almost done! (I know: They are owersized. But the wire was in the package and I think they look nice )

Done!

And the result at idle after 30 seconds

It's no problem mounting the regulator. It took me an hour or so. It fits nicely where the stock regulator is. The hard part is getting hold of a Shindengen regulator.

Hopefully my new Deka battery will have a long and prosperous life now.
Det ser findt ud..... Very nice and clean install..... At least your battery will be good from here on out.....
Hej hej..

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #154
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Lawe:
Very nice!
If you saved the old harness plugs could you please post the part numbers and mfg. data from them?
I am looking into an alternate fix for the crappy stator and need to source plugs.
If you don't have them no big deal I'll take mine appart when I get home ... I'm on the road now and don't want to be messing with stuff at the moment
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #155
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Lawe:
Very nice!
If you saved the old harness plugs could you please post the part numbers and mfg. data from them?
I am looking into an alternate fix for the crappy stator and need to source plugs.
If you don't have them no big deal I'll take mine appart when I get home ... I'm on the road now and don't want to be messing with stuff at the moment
I didn't touch any harness plugs on my install. I just cut the wires 3 inches from the stock regulator and soldered new wires onto them. You can see in one of the pictures where the yellow ones from the stator are soldered with the fat red ones.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #156
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
I didn't touch any harness plugs on my install. I just cut the wires 3 inches from the stock regulator and soldered new wires onto them. You can see in one of the pictures where the yellow ones from the stator are soldered with the fat red ones.
Lars:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh ok, thanks I wasn't sure which side you cut into ... better the R/R side to be sure!

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #157
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok....so after many busy days... I finally got to making the aluminum bracket for the R/R......Left...Aluminum...right.... ummmmm... CF....

Erling
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #158
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Looks awesome! Now if you really want to go all out, sand or blast it till the finish is matt, or anodize it and you will have the maximum in heat conductivity, radiation, and emicivity, but that will be overkill :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #159
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Looks awesome! Now if you really want to go all out, sand or blast it till the finish is matt, or anodize it and you will have the maximum in heat conductivity, radiation, and emicivity, but that will be overkill :)
Thanks Joel......I am planning on having it anodized.as it sort of stands out like this. I was sitting looking at the setup,and was pondering weather the bracket could act as a negative heat transfer....capturing all the engine heat...delivering that to the R/R..... But I suspect that that heat is less temperature wise than the heat coming of the R/R. Been a while since i worked thick aluminum.... Almost ripped off my arm when the hole saw caught....

Erling
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #160
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Here I have a slightly different opinion than Joel.....

REAL overkill would be sandblast then anodize and THEN apply heat sink ("thermal") grease to the metal-to-metal contact points between the R/R and the bracket, and the bracket and frame-tube
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #161
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here I have a slightly different opinion than Joel.....

REAL overkill would be sandblast then anodize and THEN apply heat sink ("thermal") grease to the metal-to-metal contact points between the R/R and the bracket, and the bracket and frame-tube
...And have the beverage storage container drain relocated to the R/R cooling fins....where after it drips down on the stator case..... Now were talking.....

Erling
Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #162
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
...beverage storage container
Please post details on this farkle immediately ....
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #163
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Please post details on this farkle immediately ....
Shhhhhhh.... I already have said too much......

Erling
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #164
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Send me a chilled beverage container immediately! My stator and R/R were designed robust from the factory, but if we could add a pump and a hose I could run it up my jacket to my coolmax garments that are supposed to last hours but dry out immediately. It's fracking hot in Missouri!
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #165
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Send me a chilled beverage container immediately! My stator and R/R were designed robust from the factory, but if we could add a pump and a hose I could run it up my jacket to my coolmax garments that are supposed to last hours but dry out immediately. It's fracking hot in Missouri!

Erling