Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #196
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
I ABSOLUTELY want someone to try a series regulator, I just don't want that someone to be me :)

My concerns are 3 fold

1: electrical noise. I am not in the least concerned about it interfering with the CANbus, if I ever said that, I miss typed. ZERO concern for CANbus. I do have some concern about the bloody shitty signal over power com the power let and GPS connections use, as well as the ABS controller.

I have seen bizarre and dangerous ABS issues develop from electrical noise generated by HID headlight conversions, though actually it may have been some other form of EMI and in any case, HID is a LOT noisier, especially the chinese ones then I would think a series regulator.

2: Harmonics induced into the stator that ages the insulation by series control. I am not real worried about this, but it is in the realm of possibility.

3: In the past, series regulation was spotty, unreliable, and imprecise. I suspect and advertising claims this is no longer the case, but until I see one on a scope, I am not convinced.

On the twin, open circuit stator voltage climbs to nearly 400 volts near red line, I am not currently concerned by this though I wasn't sure until I found out the stock twin stator has solid quality insulation and 3 dips.

My guess is it would work and greatly improve matters, but this is truly a guess where as I am next to certain the FET regulator I recommended is solid and will at least improve charging and possibly prolong stator life.

If someone installed a series regulator and visited me, I have a scope, meter, and harmonics analyzer and could answer all questions but longevity and durability of series R/R, but no guarantee the answer would be a happy one.
This guy did at least some of the measurements you proposed

http://hildstrom.com/projects/buellregulator/index.html
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #197
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
If some one would send me a series R/R, I would gladly beta test it, work with the manufacture to tune the kit to the 8GS....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #198
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
The 2013 models have relocated the Regulator, is it the same part number as the older units ?
Is BMW using a higher charge voltage on ALL the bikes now, or is it 'luck of the draw" ?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #199
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I don't know for certain as I no longer have a valid reason to pester technical regularly, but I do know a few things.

The F8GS was originally spec'd to have a gel deep cycle battery but the cost of the custome sized battery ended up being too high.

The voltage regulators had already been produced with a gel charging algorithm, hence the originally sub optimal charging voltage.

I strongly suspect all k7x bikes after a certain date have an AGM charging voltage.

P.S. Shit like this is common across every manufacture I have ever worked for or had friends that worked for. You launch with the product you have, not the one you wish you had. (Modified from a Don Rumsfeld quote)

Enjoy the ride!
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote