User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
japslap
Japslap

Oddometer: 141
Giant

Damn Moliver you must be a Giant,you make that R look like a little monkey bike.......lol
japslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Holeshotking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslap View Post
Damn Moliver you must be a Giant,you make that R look like a little monkey bike.......lol
HAAHA! I was just thinking the same, that is one big boy!!
Holeshotking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Where in FL are you picking up the bike and when? I am located in Orlando, but at the present am overseas on business. I will see if I can help with a route choice depending on where you are picking it up from.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
rnoliver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslap View Post
Also- hadn't done anything to set the suspension in that photo- still stock pre-load settings or lighter- so the bike is pretty compressed.

As to size- 6'7" about 350# Really need to work on that last number!

Oh, and it's r n oliver- stupid font
rnoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
cdub599 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Picking up the bike in Jacksonville FL Thursday afternoon. I plan to get to somewhere in the Augusta GA, Orangeburg SC area the first night. I heard the was a decent 2 lane route from Jacksonville to Augusta.

Not sure yet after that. I am pretty good a winging it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
cdub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
terribletom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I just did a ride from WV to UT about a month ago to pick up my '11 990 ADV R. My advice in order of importance:

1. Gore-tex gear (saved my rear in blizzard and rain storm)
2. Heated grips (saved me in blizzard)
3. Heated Jacket (saved me in blizzard)
4. Seat pad (optional, can just stand up for 5 min every 1/2 hour)
5. Touring screen and/or earplugs.
6. If you are getting the service done by Geo/AOMC in Cross Roads WV, stay away from the Strohs beer in the shop fridge (might be number 1).

Good luck and don't let the naysayers try and talk you out of it.

Also, for freeway break in you can keep the same cruising speed and just change gears to vary RPM, just keep it under 6500 RPM per the manual for the first 600 miles.
terribletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
cdub599 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletom View Post
I just did a ride from WV to UT about a month ago to pick up my '11 990 ADV R. My advice in order of importance:

1. Gore-tex gear (saved my rear in blizzard and rain storm)
2. Heated grips (saved me in blizzard)
3. Heated Jacket (saved me in blizzard)
4. Seat pad (optional, can just stand up for 5 min every 1/2 hour)
5. Touring screen and/or earplugs.
6. If you are getting the service done by Geo/AOMC in Cross Roads WV, stay away from the Strohs beer in the shop fridge (might be number 1).

Good luck and don't let the naysayers try and talk you out of it.

Also, for freeway break in you can keep the same cruising speed and just change gears to vary RPM, just keep it under 6500 RPM per the manual for the first 600 miles.

Thanks for the advice!

I agree staying away from the Strohs is probably a good idea. Maybe just one!

I read your thread, you had a hell of a ride at the end there. Thanks for the updates, it was a great read.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub599 View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I agree staying away from the Strohs is probably a good idea. Maybe just one!

I read your thread, you had a hell of a ride at the end there. Thanks for the updates, it was a great read.

Yep, the key to making that one a good thread (and it was) was the updates. I see you have posted from a Droid, so we expect to hear from you on the road as well! And if you have any trpuble, this is the place to post for help...

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
cdub599 OP
Adventurer

Going to be in the air in a few heading to JAX FL. Excited to see the new machine, preped and ready to go. I have had a request to get a pic of the bike in front of each state welcome sign i enter. Will give it a shot.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
I hope you can time out with the front coming through in the next 2 days.

We need the rain - hope you packed a rainsuit !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #26
cdub599 OP
Adventurer

Yep i have a Frogg Toggs rainsuit and enduro jacket and pants. It rained off and on but not too bad.

Actually pretty uneventful ride so far. Bike is awesome though, an amazing machine. I can believe how much it feels like a dirt bike but still cruises down the road with ease. One complaint though. What the heck is up with the tiny footpegs.

5 hours on the road. Made it to SC for the night. Not much sightseeing because of the gray skies and on and off rain. Hopefully it will be nicer tomorrow so i can enjoy the time on the road a little more.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Get the CJ peg extenders, much nicer
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Thumb Another Satisfied Customer Back on The Road

Carey rolled in about 3:45pm this afternoon at Appalachian Offroad Motorcycle in Cross Lanes West Virginia- the bike looked great, no problems. He'd been in some rain earlier but the weather was clear all around us.

I drained his oil, pulled all his screens to inspect & clean and re-filled with some Motorex 10W-50. He also went for a Scotts stainless filter, and a Corbin Seat we had in stock. He had his Android phone already mounted in his RAM holder and a Scala Q4 on his helmet, and said the package worked well with good phone clarity on both ends of the conversation

He declined the PBR we had in the fridge as he decided last minute to skip another night on the road & head for home so he could sleep in his own bed (TerribleTom, I am sorry about the expiration date on the Stroh's!!! It was a leftover from a party- leftover beer? yep, Stroh's must really suck if it got passed over around here)

he promised next time he was in town we'd all go to La Roca for some good Dos Equus Amber!

We might see Carey again when it comes time for his valve clearance check...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
terribletom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I was just kidding about the Strohs' it's way better than UT beer!

Hope he made it home without incident!
terribletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #30
cdub599 OP
Adventurer

I stopped in to get the first service at Appalachian Offroad Motorcycle Friday afternoon and they were outstanding. I rolled in, they waved me rite in the shop, and got to work. I got lots of great pointers from Brit, and will definitely be back at some point. They are only a short 4 hours from home. I had planned to stay the nite close by, have a few beers and dinner. However I checked the weather and saw a miserable ride in cold rain the next morning. Decided just to get back on the road. Stopped for fuel about 9:30 in New Philidelphia OH. Weather was still good and I was enjoying the ride. Shortly after I left there the wind picked up and it was some of the worst wind I have ever ridden in. The temperature dropped 20 degrees along with the wind and the last hour turned out to be pretty miserable. I was glad to roll into home about 11:00 pm.

Based on Brit's advice I am planning to order a CJ Kickstand relocation kit and a Weld 86 skid plate real soon. I am guessing I wont be able to help myself keeping it off of our Motocross track, Hare Scramble, and Flattrack at Western Reserve Motorcycle Club in Salem Ohio. Better get it protected before I break something. We have a race this Saturday night. I will be out there all day Sat preparing the grounds for the event and testing out this bike in the dirt a little.

This was the first time I have used any type of motorcycle audio system. I purchased a Scala Rider G4 for this ride. Not so much for bike to bike communications but for its Bluetooth audio capabilities. Let me tell you, this is an a bitchen system. The entire ride I was able to have Google maps navigation running on my Droid along with Pandora or Stitcher, AND the occasional phone call. The phone and G4 handshaking between music, audible GPS instructions and phone calls was amazing.

I had a great time and wish I wasn't sitting at my desk, but was out on the road again this week. Sorry it took so long for an update. Once I hit home and my two boys attacked me to play, then back to work Monday it has been not stop.

Getting its first service!

On the road utilizing the Ram mount and forward facing camera on my Motorola Droid Bionic.