User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,608
Ducati (the company) looking for buyer

Oh boy. It's deja vu all over again. Read on.

Financial Times today:

"Ducati is set to change hands this year after its private equity owner said it aimed to make three times its initial investment by selling or listing the producer of top-end Italian motorcycles.
Investindustrial, the Italian private equity group backed by the Bonomi family, is looking to dispose of the motorbike brand in a deal worth up to €1bn.

“Ducati is now a perfect company but the further growth it requires needs the support of a world-class industrial partner,” Andrea Bonomi, Investindustrial’s chairman – and a Ducati driver as well as speedboat owner – told the Financial Times. “This year, we will work towards that partner.”
Last year Investindustrial, one of the biggest private equity investors in southern Europe, mandated Deutsche Bank and Goldman Sachs to sound out a public listing for Ducati in Hong Kong. But a sale to a rival or to a large car group is now seen as the more likely way to internationalise the brand further.
Ducati, which started life 86 years ago as a radio manufacturer, sells about 40,000 motorcycles per year and claims a market share of almost 9 per cent in the global sports motorcycle market. Its sleek design and sporty image has attracted a base of celebrity fans, including Prince William.
Mr Bonomi said a handful of industrial groups in Asia, Europe and the US were interested in Ducati. People close to the situation said possible buyers could include Indian motorcycle group Mahindra and German car groups such as Volkswagen and BMW.
BMW owns a large motorcycle brand and Ferdinand Piëch, VW’s chairman, has long cast an eye on Ducati as a way for his car empire to enter the motorcycle market.
Ducati has debts of about 1.7 times its earnings before interest, depreciation and amortisation, a low level when compared with most private equity portfolio companies."

Linky, but need login

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Oh crap. Please don't let BMW Group buy it.

They already effed up Husqvarna.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,037
I could see Chinese money getting it. Strong brand among the affluent, already deep into racing, with a model lineup that could easily convert to three-wheeled pack mule usage.

VW could buy it with change falling out of its pockets.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
Yeah, this could be a huge change, or it could just be ownership change. Interesting year ahead for Ducati.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I could see Chinese money getting it. Strong brand among the affluent, already deep into racing, with a model lineup that could easily convert to three-wheeled pack mule usage.

VW could buy it with change falling out of its pockets.
Both were what I'd thought.

Tata bought Range Rover and Jaguar, so I'm unsure if they'd be angling for another premium 'brand'.

VW? They might muck it up since they don't know much about cycles. Unless they're just the sugar daddy, and not another Chrysler / Mercedes / Cerberus debacle.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 906
This just in:
Harley bought them

Gary
Gas Hog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Maybe Polaris could buy them and revive the Ducati Indiana? Or better yet, this bike:

Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,391
Maybe Harley Davidson wants another crack at Italian motorcycles

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Bit of backstory from Asphalt and Rubber. Article had been posted nearly one year ago describing an ongoing relationship between Mercedes and Ducati (hance the AMG Diavel).

Mercedes-Benz Poised to Purchase Ducati Motor Holdings
Linky

Today's post from A&R expands a bit on the Financial Times piece

Ducati Valued at 1Bn euros-Acquisition Talks Continue
Linky

Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Last time around, Volkswagen boss was kicking himself for not buying it. Is VW still interested in branching out to bikes? Looks like Merc wants in on that image too.

Back in the late 70's when BMW was considering shutting down their motorcycle division, the main argument for keeping it alive was because it gave the company, by extension their car division, a "sporty" image, which their car division lacked back then..
Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
The Mercedes angle seems most likely - already deep into performance with the AMG/Mclaren formula one effort. The AMG Diavel seems like a precursor of things to come. Despite Mercedes long racing heritage and continued presence in F1 and touring cars, they still can't seem to up their image past executive sleds. This would help them - what it would do for Ducati remains to be seen, but if Ducati isn't successful it's a bad move for anyone to take them over.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
*checks wallet* Dam only 1,599,999,999.00 short......
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
The Mercedes angle seems most likely - already deep into performance with the AMG/Mclaren formula one effort. The AMG Diavel seems like a precursor of things to come. Despite Mercedes long racing heritage and continued presence in F1 and touring cars, they still can't seem to up their image past executive sleds. This would help them - what it would do for Ducati remains to be seen, but if Ducati isn't successful it's a bad move for anyone to take them over.
VW would seem stronger, actually. Remember, VW is Skoda, Seat, VW, Audi, Bentley and Bugatti. So they run the range of automobiles, and are looking to expand aggressively with the deployment of the Up! vehicle line.

A motorcycle lineup would be a logical extension 'down market' into small vehicles. Currently 55% of the world's population and 60% of the world's wealth is in congested cities where traditional cars don't make sense.

Competitive diesel technology in the Audi Motorsport division would seem they have some interest in a moto arm. Not saying that any Ducati would be diesel, but if Audi is adventurous to compete with diesels, are electrics far behind? How does that equate to cycles?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...gx3/index.html

I wish this would have made it. Much better design than the pseudo motorcycle the Spyder claims to be. Let's hope VW gets it...If it falls into Mercedes hands it will turn into another gadget fest like the new BMWs.

It would be cool if KTM had the funding, I could see some interesting possibilites there.

KTM rules off-road, and surprisingly seems to be getting stronger, but lacks much in the street going categories. Ducati makes awesome street bikes, but could use a dirt division to strengthen their position in the market.

There could be some real synergies there, I'm excited about the posibilities.

Which one of you billionaires out there wants to fund the SCQTT GROUP INC. ?

Let's buy them both, and steamroll the premium (non-HD) brands. Who wants to stick it to BMW & triumph?

I have 25+ years of motorcycle industry experience under my belt.

Let's go!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 336
Audi to buy Ducati?

I know that the Indian company Hero have been rumoured to do this, but it seems that Audi have done a behind the scenes deal to be first in the queue, after the due diligence research etc.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...m-four-wheels/