Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #61
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turder View Post
Done deal, saw it on Bloomberg. 860 million Euros. They should announce it tomorrow.
Ducati had around 800 million in debt so the company was valued at aboot 60 million Euros.
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #62
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Ducati had around 800 million in debt so the company was valued at aboot 60 million Euros.

Ha Ha.

If I owe $800,000 on my house, and someone buys it from me for $860,000, does that mean the buyer valued my house at $60,000?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #63
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Ha Ha.

If I owe $800,000 on my house, and someone buys it from me for $860,000, does that mean the buyer valued my house at $60,000?

Not only, but the buyer's purchase price is on top of assuming the company's operational debt (whatever that might be, since it has never been actually disclosed, just speculated).
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #64
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turder View Post
Done deal, saw it on Bloomberg. 860 million Euros. They should announce it tomorrow.
I guess I was outbid...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #65
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I guess I was outbid...
You should have used the "buy it now" option . . .

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #66
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Not sure why they say Audi is buying Ducati, other than for marketing hype that Audi's image is that they are now producing luxurious sporty cars. It is after all, the Volkswagen Group that's buying Ducati.

No doubt with VW's deep pockets, it should expand the Ducati line and sales.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #67
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Not sure why they say Audi is buying Ducati, other than for marketing hype that Audi's image is that they are now producing luxurious sporty cars. It is after all, the Volkswagen Group that's buying Ducati.
I am guessing the claim has also to do with who is going to be managing the Italians (and yes, the image thing is important too) - Audi has the experience and structure in place since they have been doing that for a while with Lamborghini.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #68
rednose
ReDnOsE

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
I am guessing the claim has also to do with who is going to be managing the Italians (and yes, the image thing is important too) - Audi has the experience and structure in place since they have been doing that for a while with Lamborghini.
... I can't resist ....

Are the Italians manageable?????

I'm Italian but sometimes I found it hard to deal with Italian ... caos

Cheers,
r.
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #69
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
... I can't resist ....

Are the Italians manageable?????
Indeed they are not - but the Germans seem to find a way. BMW with Husky and Audi with Lamborghini have done well - perhaps the two characters complement each other and the net result is the perfect blend of passion and industriousness.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #70
rednose
ReDnOsE

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Indeed they are not - but the Germans seem to find a way. BMW with Husky and Audi with Lamborghini have done well - perhaps the two characters complement each other and the net result is the perfect blend of passion and industriousness.

Apessino you got it! That's why I just left Italy for Germany .... Much better context here!
I friend of mine is used to say "1 Italian among a bunch of German is the perfect mix!"

r.
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #71
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Apessino you got it! That's why I just left Italy for Germany .... Much better context here!
I friend of mine is used to say "1 Italian among a bunch of German is the perfect mix!"

r.
Hey, I left Italy for the US 22 years ago - now I can say with confidence that 1 Italian among a bunch of Americans makes absolutely no difference.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #72
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,487
Heard this morning on National Public Radio , so you know it's true, Volkswagen is making a play to buy Italian Motorcycle maker Ducati.
Kind of cuts through the Audi fog, doesn't it ?
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #73
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Personally I think this is an example of someone buying a brand just for the fun of it. There's no way this will be anything other than a minor distraction to what VW does. They're way too big a company and Ducati will just be a drop in the bucket even if it could deliver returns over the next decade or two.

This is a lot like when someone like Roman Abramovich buys Chelsea. Abramovich doesn't care if the club makes a return on his investment because owning Chelsea is really, really fun. No one expects Ducati to compete with Honda or Suzuki (or even Piaggio for that matter). An who wouldn't want to own a cool, somewhat exotic motorcycle brand? Sometimes I think that emotional connection or element of the story gets lost in the business press, which is very numbers-obsessed.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #74
motorista1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Press Release
AUDI AG acquires sports motorcycle manufacturer Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A.

- Chairman Rupert Stadler: "As a sporty, global premium brand, Ducati is an excellent fit for Audi."
- Third pillar for AUDI AG in Italy
- Ducati a leading player in engine technology and lightweight construction

Ingolstadt/Bologna, April 18, 2012 – AUDI AG is acquiring from Investindustrial Group the tradition-steeped Italian sports motorcycle manufacturer Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A., which has its registered office in Bologna. The transaction will be completed as quickly as possible once authorized by the competition authorities. The Supervisory Boards of AUDI AG and Volkswagen AG approved the acquisition today in Hamburg. Ducati is known worldwide as a leading brand in motorcycle manufacture, with outstanding expertise in engine development and lightweight construction.

Alongside the traditional Italian brands Lamborghini and Italdesign, Ducati is now a third pillar for AUDI AG in Northern Italy. Another building block in the Company's growth strategy thus falls into place. Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG, declared: "Ducati is known worldwide as a premium brand among motorcycle manufacturers and has a long tradition of building sporty motorcycles. It has great expertise in high-performance engines and lightweight construction, and is one of the world's most profitable motorcycle manufacturers. That makes Ducati an excellent fit for Audi." The progressive control systems and special combustion chamber process of Ducati engines, their resulting sporty character, and Ducati's extensive know-how in lightweight construction thus offer great potential for AUDI AG and the Volkswagen Group.

Peter Mosch, Chairman of the General Works Council of AUDI AG, explains that the employee representatives of AUDI AG support the Company's sustainable, co-determined growth strategy. "We must use the opportunities offered by globalization for Audi – and that's exactly what we're doing. Everyone at Audi is looking forward to working with our new colleagues from Ducati," commented Mosch.

Ducati is a globally active company and has manufacturing operations at its headquarters in Bologna and at its own factory in Thailand. It maintains a series of importer companies in strategic markets. Experts predict that the motorcycle market will enjoy strong growth over the next few years, especially in Asia. In 2011, Ducati sold around 42,000 motorcycles and generated revenue of some €480 million, employing around 1,100 people.

The company was founded by Adriano and Marcello Ducati in Bologna in 1926. Known originally as Società Scientifica Radiobrevetti Ducati, it initially built parts for radios. It ventured into the manufacture of motorcycles in 1949.

Ducati has been actively involved in motorcycle racing for many decades through its racing division Ducati Corse. Its racing activities are currently focused on the Ducati official factory team in the MotoGP class of the Motorcycle World Championship and in the Superbike World Championship, supporting competitive private teams. Ducati won the manufacturers' championship in this latter class 17 times in 21 championships and the pilots' 14 times.
2015 Audi A4 with the new DesmoTFSI engine and trellis framed unibody structure.

I didn't know that Ducati had a factory in Thailand.
motorista1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #75
Tatanka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
First thoughts:

Italian styling = should turn some heads
German engineering = has enough gremlins to give "character" but not too much to label it as a POS.

The only thing missing is Japanese electronics.

I'll buy one in a few years when they introduce a 5-valve twin and a 5-link rear suspension on a monoposto.
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote