ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #31
SparkyL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Dirty North Joisey
Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post


Nope, Box Elder County is all full up at this time

Hey Signal - Your digital postcards are also to blame! (I think I commented to that effect on your thread)
Keep 'em coming! Thanks!
SparkyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #32
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,682
Spent all of my summers in Snowville...

from high school age to early adulthood working on a farm 10 miles out of snowville. Your RR brought back many memories. I've eaten a lot of meals at Mollies Cafe (you refered to it as Millies, did they change the name?). Tell me what was "interesting" about it. I know first hand it can be interesting, with the locals and all. I really need to get back out there. Just need to route a trip on dirt from Northern Calif to there. Anybody have some good Pony Express tracks?
That's for taking us along Sam
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Here and There.. but mostly in the Desert
Oddometer: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
from high school age to early adulthood working on a farm 10 miles out of snowville. Your RR brought back many memories. I've eaten a lot of meals at Mollies Cafe (you refered to it as Millies, did they change the name?). Tell me what was "interesting" about it. I know first hand it can be interesting, with the locals and all. I really need to get back out there. Just need to route a trip on dirt from Northern Calif to there. Anybody have some good Pony Express tracks?
That's for taking us along Sam
Sorry, your right man it's Mollies... my bad (typo and no proofing) I ate at Mollies back in 2010 when riding this ride

Idahosam's 7 day Big Loop in Big Sky Country

I think you chimed in on that one too. anyway interesting is the characters that work in there specifically the older gals. Funny, very funny and opinionated to say the least, definitely ranching and farming country.
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
Silent Bob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Silent Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Yankton OR
Oddometer: 285
Just found this Sam

Will be following along. Enjoy your ride reports.
Silent Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #35
Questor
More Undestructable
 
Questor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Diamond Bar, CA.
Oddometer: 3,979
Howdy Sam.

It's nice to see you out and about again.
Thanks for sharing your trip.

I'm due for one soon.

What's the best way to find that railroad bed?
Maps, GPS?
Care to share the location with me?
I need a ride to clear my head and spend sometime outside again.

Cheers.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Here and There.. but mostly in the Desert
Oddometer: 4,098
Hey Questor, seems it's been awhile. How'd you winter out? Ansy now? I didn't even take my GPS just a benchmark map, so I have no tracks. That said, it's really pretty easy to find the grade. 1) go to the Golden Spike Historical site out from Brigham City. You can follow the track west from there ending at Lucin, or 2) from Oakley, ID (be sure and gas up in Oakley) ride south 65 miles cross the paved highway go 5 more miles turn left (east) on the grade at the aforementioned kiosk signage. Either way it's a 90 mile in length grade. It's not a difficult ride but a inspiring relaxing scenic trip. Remember this was all done by hand, the grade, ties, rails, you just have to shake your head in wonderment.

I just got home last night and am prepping the bike to possibly head in the morning for more Utah.

We need to ride together sometime.


See you out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Howdy Sam.

It's nice to see you out and about again.
Thanks for sharing your trip.

I'm due for one soon.

What's the best way to find that railroad bed?
Maps, GPS?
Care to share the location with me?
I need a ride to clear my head and spend sometime outside again.

Cheers.
Q~
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
from high school age to early adulthood working on a farm 10 miles out of snowville. Your RR brought back many memories. I've eaten a lot of meals at Mollies Cafe (you refered to it as Millies, did they change the name?). Tell me what was "interesting" about it. I know first hand it can be interesting, with the locals and all. I really need to get back out there. Just need to route a trip on dirt from Northern Calif to there. Anybody have some good Pony Express tracks?
That's for taking us along Sam
Box elder county- 6729 square miles

Population density of Box Elder County- 8.7 people per sq mile



Edit: new york city is 27, 029 per sq mile
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah

Signal screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 01:47 PM
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #38
trailrider383
867-5309
 
trailrider383's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NP, ID
Oddometer: 2,985
Two counties near me that I do a lot of riding in:
Owyhee county Idaho: As of the census[14] of 2000, The population density was 1.4 person per square mile.
Harney county Oregon: As of the census[8] of 2000, The population density was 1 person per square mile
__________________
DO WHAT YOU LIKE - LIKE WHAT YOU DO
Explain to me again why enjoying life when I retire is more important than enjoying life now?
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #39
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Here and There.. but mostly in the Desert
Oddometer: 4,098
OK guys, it's all good, people per square, etc, etc it's open clean and beautiful, not to mention it's our playground; folks travel from afar to enjoy what's right out our back door. I have just never spent any time in Utah; new ground to cover.

See you out there.

On another subject; I am packed and ready to head out in the morning I sure hope the weather patterns are generous to me.
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #40
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,299
Nice pictures. Good to see you are out enjoying the spring.

The railroad grade looks very neat. I enjoyed your pics of the 119 and Jupiter. It was nice of that ranger to take you into the shed to see them.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #41
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Here and There.. but mostly in the Desert
Oddometer: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Nice pictures. Good to see you are out enjoying the spring.

The railroad grade looks very neat. I enjoyed your pics of the 119 and Jupiter. It was nice of that ranger to take you into the shed to see them.

Glad you enjoyed. Well, I'm back a little early, seems Utah just isn't welcoming me........... weather wise. This time the rains and winds chased me off. more later.


BTW, I really enjoyed your ride last year, you know the "giant loop" run. you guys were animals on that one
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #42
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,299
Thanks for the kind words.

We are booked for a return trip this summer. This time I plan to make a beeline straight across so we can make it Jarbidge. The ranchers I have talked to tell me we should not have the issues with high water this time. One of them told me the Nevada Owyhee desert is suffering from a serious drought that rivals the worst of them he has ever seen in the area. I think that means something coming from the head of one of the largest ranches down there.

I learned a bunch about the area from our trip last year and plan to use that knowledge to get us around some of the obstacles we ran into last year. One of the things I learned is to contact the ranchers. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with ranch managers and BLM folks and it really helps to build up the excitement. I have spent hours looking at maps and reading books. I just received a cool book about the history of the Owyhee today and have been reading it ever since. Should be a blast!

We should chat if you make another attempt to visit the Escalante NM and Glen Canyon NRA. There are some neat things down there.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #43
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Here and There.. but mostly in the Desert
Oddometer: 4,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

We are booked for a return trip this summer. This time I plan to make a beeline straight across so we can make it Jarbidge. The ranchers I have talked to tell me we should not have the issues with high water this time. One of them told me the Nevada Owyhee desert is suffering from a serious drought that rivals the worst of them he has ever seen in the area. I think that means something coming from the head of one of the largest ranches down there.

I learned a bunch about the area from our trip last year and plan to use that knowledge to get us around some of the obstacles we ran into last year. One of the things I learned is to contact the ranchers. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with ranch managers and BLM folks and it really helps to build up the excitement. I have spent hours looking at maps and reading books. I just received a cool book about the history of the Owyhee today and have been reading it ever since. Should be a blast!

We should chat if you make another attempt to visit the Escalante NM and Glen Canyon NRA. There are some neat things down there.
So your coming back over cool! let me know what your plan is; if the timings right maybe I could tag along for a bit.

Nevada is a magical plan indeed. The ranchers are pretty good folks in general with a few A-holes thrown-in but hey you'll find that anywhere.

Now that book about the Owyhees wouldn't be "Owyhee Trails The West's Forgotten Corner" by Mike Hanley... would it? He lives in Jordon Valley laid back kinda guy.

See you out there
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #44
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Now that book about the Owyhees wouldn't be "Owyhee Trails The West's Forgotten Corner" by Mike Hanley... would it? He lives in Jordon Valley laid back kinda guy.
That's the one!

I also picked up "Get Lost - Adventure Tours in the Owyhee Desert" by Steve Silva. Unfortunately he does not go into Nevada much on his routes but there is lots of info in there too.

Sorry for the derail on your thread.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #45
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Here and There.. but mostly in the Desert
Oddometer: 4,098
Well, to finish this little ride up. To Quote


"If we wait for the perfect moment to exercise our good intentions, we will live our lives in dreamy expectations while dozing through the realities of today!"


—Ted L. Hanks, Spanish Fork Press, Spanish Fork, Utah, May 22, 1980.



"... Good intentions are of little value if there is continual delay in putting them in practice. Some people muddle through a whole lifetime toying with the idea of doing something worthwhile--something that will justify their existence and make the world a bit the better for their being in it."


—James G. Keller, Houston Post, Houston, Texas, Feb. 11, 1954.


__________________________________________________ _____


I had been watching the NOAA site pretty close and found a window of opportunity, that and I was caught up on the yard work .



It was now time to go back down and wander around a bit more.




So, picking this up just out of Oakley again...


Here's the turn off to the City of Rocks, just up over the hill about a mile or so.











a couple of miles later I spy this hey wait a minute!! I'm suppose to have sunshine for the next 3 days; sure hope it's not a bad omen.







All that's left of Moulton, ID






Now this is just not what I was expecting





Well, the bright side is it's just enough to keep the dust knocked down





some random shots along the way














I did get puked on a little but the road managed to meander out of much of it.










YeeHaw dropping into Utah









Once again I rolled through the hamlet Grouse Creek and go figure the dang store was still closed. but they do have poggie bait, sodas and gas, if I can just time it right. rolled up the throttle headed out, the weather was looking good thunder boomers way off to the southwest.


made it to Highway 30 took a short break












Then headed on straight south to the grade out of Lucin. You remember the place I camped last time








...it's only 4 in the afternoon, plenty of time to keep moving.







I sorta thought I'd do a video travel journal on this, but things don't always turn out the way you expect.





More pictures to come..













__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 11:05 AM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014