User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
backfill OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
1982 r100rt - it's alive!!!!!

I bought this RT about a month ago. It hasn't been on the road since 2005 or 2006 and the PO said he has owned it for 3 years and it hasn't run in that time. He did tell me that it had a full tune up with new tires before he bought it. The tires have dry cracks, but still have all of the nibs on them, so I am guessing that it has sat for quite a while.

I don't have a battery for it so last week i pulled the battery out of my '92 R100R, but it was the wrong shape for the RT. So today I poured in some fresh gas, cleaned some crap out of the float bowls and wire brushed the spark plugs. While the plugs were out, I put it in gear and turned the engine over by hand a few times to move some oil around. I hooked the R100R's battery to the RT using my old and crappy booster cables but couldn't get a good connection. The rt would barely turn over, it was so slow I thought it would never start. But after a few very slow cranks it did fire once. I was amazed, so I cranked it over again very slowly and it fired up almost immediately and ran really smoothly. I couldn't believe it. It was running rough at first, but I had the choke on too long. Once the chokes was off, the bike ran really smoothly and revved up easily. It blew a bit of blue smoke when it first started, but that stopped right away. I guess a bit of blue smoke is to be expected on a bike that has probably sat for over six years.

The headlight and tail and brake lights all work fine as does the right signal. The left signal wouldn't work, but I will check the fuse.

I am a happy guy. It is nice to hear this bike run again after a long rest. Now that i know it runs fine, I will buy a battery and tires and go over the bike carefully to clean, lubricate and fix anything that looks wonky.

cheers,
Phil
backfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,347
Wow! Nice score.!! I would change all of the fluids, including the brake fluid. Check the grounds on your turn signals....brown wire in the signal housing!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,354
Warning

Do not ride bike before changing the oil. Change oil before starting bike. After warm up change oil again.

We had one six months ago that ruined the engine because it was ridden before changing the oil. OLD OIL is not oil.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
backfill OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thanks

Thanks to both of you for the warning. Changing all fluids is next on the agenda.

Before I started the engine, i checked and the oil was up to the full mark and was the colour of new, completely unused oil, as if it was just poured into the engine. There was no murkiness or evidence of water. Given this, i thought it would be safe for running for only a few minutes. Since the battery did not fit, I wasn't going to be riding the bike at all. I just wanted to hear it run before starting work on it.

I will drain all fluids - engine, transmission and final drive - probably tomorrow. I have to change the brake fluid in two of my other bikes, so I will do the RT at the same time.

When it was running, the engine sounded good but I will check the valves before running it again. Since it is only December, I have another four months before I will be riding anywhere. This will give me time to carefully go over the bike and see what needs to be fixed, cleaned or lubed.
backfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 530
Black Beauty

sweet ride.

Yes one thing about these airheads that amazes me is the ones that sir so long that you get some spark to and fuel and the damn thing not only runs, but runs smooth.

Remonds me of the old VW bugs.

Good stuff.