Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,577
Beadrider--yay or nay?

Thinking about getting a Beadrider.

I like to hang off and I do it on most turns and curves. I think the Beadrider will make hanging off super easy if the darn thing will stay put and not go sliding around under me. And I don't like getting jammed against the tank when I hit the brakes hard, and I'm not sure if the Beadrider maybe will make that happen too easy.

So I'm wondering which of you guys have used one on a hack and can comment on the side-to-side movement as well as the front-to-back movement.

Also how hard you had to cinch it down to keep it from moving around and did the cinch strings damage your leather?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
allstateclub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
A million NY cabbies can't be all wrong!

I've used a beadrider for years, both on my solo bike with a custom seat and my hack with it's standard seat. I hook the elastic straps to each other under the seat and it doesn't move around hardly at all. Never any damage to the seat material. To get the absolute ride time I need, I add a sheepskin cover. Then, at every fuel stop I remove one, or add one, or remove both covers, then change them again later. Each change brings about different pressure points on my ass and I can ride all day without discomfort.

Get the beadrider!
allstateclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Have one and like it alot also.

Are you wanting one for the soul purpose of making it easier to slide around? Most people want them for additional long distance comfort.

It may actually make it too easy to slide around.

As far as it staying in place, that shouldn't be a problem, they have very strong elastic cords under the bottom that you tighten under the seat when putting them on.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,953
Get rid of your Corbin seat, get a daylong and stop whining, the guy I gave my bead rider too likes it.DB
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
DRONE: I've had a Beadrider on my solo bikes for over 10 years, and have one on my hack.

I find it to be comfortable and help with long days in the saddle. No problems with it staying in place [if attached properly]. No problem sliding forward. Easy to hang off, whether riding solo or hack.

Keeps your butt out of a puddle when it rains and cool in the heat.

You may want to remove it in the winter or when using your heated seat.

Duncan
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
I hated my Beadrider on the Corbin seat. It was just too hard and felt like sitting on rocks. But on every other seat the Beadrider has been a dream. Keeps the boys aerated and is especially nice in rain since water doesn't pool beneath me.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
What I heard

...was to ride one tank with nothing on the seat, when you stop to fill up put on the beads, third tank do the sheep skin.... and keep rotating.

I works for me.

Keeps my butt out of puddles when raining, gets air in that region when it's hot & humid out. I am equally sure in cold weather it might keep you too cold .....

Using the supplied elastics, mine stays put.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,212
I have one on the Corbin seat on my K. It's the first Corbin I've owned that works just right for me. The beads stay in place with the supplied elastics. They are great for cooling airflow. It is easier to hang off, especially with nylon pants (Darien). You will slide forward on a hard stop, but I've found it easy to adjust to.
Try one, not that expensive and easy to sell if you don't like it. I found mine in the ADV market.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
I have one on the Corbin seat on my K. It's the first Corbin I've owned that works just right for me. The beads stay in place with the supplied elastics. They are great for cooling airflow. It is easier to hang off, especially with nylon pants (Darien). You will slide forward on a hard stop, but I've found it easy to adjust to.
Try one, not that expensive and easy to sell if you don't like it. I found mine in the ADV market.
Bob I've lived in MN and FL what are you doing with MN pants ? LOL I know.DB
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I have one on my Silverwing scooter. It changed the seat from a 100-mile painful grimacing mess to a 300-mile seat with no issues...I love it.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Sit
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 638
I have used them before and liked it, for the summer time. Winter it comes off so I can use the heat in the seat. I didn't buy a bead rider though, bought a bead seat cover from Walmart. Reworked the line in the beads and ended up with two covers, one for me and one for the pillion. Cost less than $20.
13 Patrol
Sit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,577
I tried sheepskin and that would not stay in place. I tried retrofitting it with some much beefier straps but, still, after a couple of hours riding it would be bunched up all over on the right side of the saddle kind of like what you'd expect with my technique being to slide off the saddle as I'm entering the curve, but then to lift up and plop back into the seat at the end of the turn.

So I guess I'll try a Beadrider. I have a pretty hard butt, but some days when you have to put in a long stretch on the slab (like yesterday) my backside gets kinda numb. The beads would take care of that.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Bob I've lived in MN and FL what are you doing with MN pants ? LOL I know.DB
K-Bike......
And.....my lovely bride just got me a Darien light set! Guess she's gonna keep me!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Sorry, bead curmudgeon here.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,391
Go to Walmart and get the car seat version for eight bucks. Paint it black. Trim it down and it makes two cycle seat covers. You will lose one row of beads, but the whole thing won't unravel.

I find the added comfort significant; good for a couple hundred more miles and well worth the cheap price. Lets rain water drain away easily too.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is online now   Reply With Quote