ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Prmurat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Prmurat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,031
Need help??

Spending a Saturday morning at a British vintage motorcycle show seemed like a safe and good idea: don't need any parts, no money to buy another oil leaker... And hop! I am back with a Watsonian (if anyone can guess which model??) almost complete... Missing the seat, windshield and swing arm. Mmm ... Already thought of a VFR mono arm hiding somewhere in the garage??
Or maybe a flower planter for the garden??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
FR700
Heckler™©®
 
FR700's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 7,806
:
__________________
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Susana, CA
Oddometer: 4,286
BSA Clubman Show down in San Jose?

Speaking of leakers, I rode home a 1969 Norton Commando new project last week.

I wont do a better than new resto, but make a daily driver out of it.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Old Mule's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Chihuahuan Desert in Texas
Oddometer: 430
those are

good sidecars, nice strong perimeter frame, pretty good glass. I'd stick to stock suspension, it worked well.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Prmurat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Prmurat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
BSA Clubman Show down in San Jose?

Speaking of leakers, I rode home a 1969 Norton Commando new project last week.

I wont do a better than new resto, but make a daily driver out of it.

Yes Clubman show!
Great! A Roadster? Pic?
Here is a pic of mine:

A MK2... Completely redone after a nasty accident I had with it some years ago (now with an Alton ES.)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
xrocket
Beemer Geezer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Texas ...
Oddometer: 66
Appears to be a Monza model ...

Solid car ... once had a front and side chrome wrap around bar and rear rack.

My first sidecar was a 1962 r60/2 with earls fork and a Monza chair which I purchased in 1972. While at University squired and thrilled a few ladies around the Texas countryside, pulled donuts on the icy campus parking lots and just general had a bunch of fun.
__________________
xrocketism : Slow before turn in, Late apex for safety out, Gas On to go right, Gas Off to go left, Get it backasswards and it just won't matter anymore...
xrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Susana, CA
Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Yes Clubman show!
Great! A Roadster? Pic?
It was advertised on CL as a 1970 Commando Interstate. I had no idea what model was what or from what year but I got a killer price and it actually looked pretty good. After I got it home my research revealed that the Interstate didn't come out until 1972. The title and registration both say 1970. Additional research on the VIN (130###) along with the tach cable coming off the side of the motor (rubbing on the exhaust) says 1969. I'm told by my friends in the So.Cal Norton club that putting the Interstate tank and seat was a real common modification back in the day. The tank on the bike is fiberglass and Ethanol has worked it's way through to the paint. The bike came with an additional steel Interstate tank that is primered so I'll paint it and use it.



What are your thoughts on going with the single 34mm Mikuni carb mod, getting rid of the dual Amals with "tickelers" ?
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Prmurat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Prmurat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,031
A metal interstate tank?? Wow!! Score! I tried a single Mikuni long time ago: starts easier (kick at that time!) but J could not really tune it well... Discovered after a while that my camshaft was "used": lobes were half the size. When the engine was redone I opted for sleeved Amals and the bike is running great! Maybe one day I'll install a Keihin CV (DR400) as I cannot pull the 2 Amals anymore 'cause of my screwed right arm... Is your engine a Combat?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Susana, CA
Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
A metal interstate tank?? Wow!! Score! I tried a single Mikuni long time ago: starts easier (kick at that time!) but J could not really tune it well... Discovered after a while that my camshaft was "used": lobes were half the size. When the engine was redone I opted for sleeved Amals and the bike is running great! Maybe one day I'll install a Keihin CV (DR400) as I cannot pull the 2 Amals anymore 'cause of my screwed right arm... Is your engine a Combat?
The older Amals (no choke) are pain when the bike is cold. No, not a Combat, but I think that is a good thing?? I've been reading that the Combat motors are known grenade. I really want to use as a daily driver.

BTW, what bike do you plan on mounting the new rig to?
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
norton(kel)
vintage
 
norton(kel)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Berthoud, Co.
Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
The older Amals (no choke) are pain when the bike is cold. No, not a Combat, but I think that is a good thing?? I've been reading that the Combat motors are known grenade. I really want to use as a daily driver.

BTW, what bike do you plan on mounting the new rig to?
I have 35k miles on my stone stock '72 Combat
norton(kel) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Prmurat OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Prmurat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 1,031
I met a Brit while living in Hong Kong who rode a Combat all the way from the UK... Once the main bearings have been replaced they are ok. Amals with their ticklers are ok for cold starting, once you replace every 2 years your sparkplug wires/connectors; i have this ignition (after years of points and Boyer): http://www.trispark.com.au/index.php it is a life changer!
As the Monza was cheap I may work on it and maybe attach it to my 1150GS... Or find an old Guzzi...
Go there for your Norton: it is a mine of help and knowledge: http://accessnorton.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Susana, CA
Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
I have 35k miles on my stone stock '72 Combat
Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
I met a Brit while living in Hong Kong who rode a Combat all the way from the UK... Once the main bearings have been replaced they are ok. Amals with their ticklers are ok for cold starting, once you replace every 2 years your sparkplug wires/connectors; i have this ignition (after years of points and Boyer): http://www.trispark.com.au/index.php it is a life changer!
As the Monza was cheap I may work on it and maybe attach it to my 1150GS... Or find an old Guzzi...
Go there for your Norton: it is a mine of help and knowledge: http://accessnorton.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the links!
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #13
FR700
Heckler™©®
 
FR700's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
As the Monza was cheap I may work on it and maybe attach it to my 1150GS... Or find an old Guzzi...



If you start a poll, put me down for an 850 T3 or a Cali' II.

.
__________________
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #14
FR700
Heckler™©®
 
FR700's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
I have 35k miles on my stone stock '72 Combat



Gotta love a well sorted, stock, Brit' bike. Points and all.


.
__________________
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:03 AM   #15
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer
 
Sidecarjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Yorkshire, England
Oddometer: 738
For sure, you need to check the two front body mounting points, the ones on each side. Despite internal strengthening within the fibreglass body, failure was likely. Old models that haven't highlights not many miles covered.

A regular owner modification, eventually copied by Watsonian, was to weld an external metal loop, preferably tubular, to eliminate the flex that was the root cause of the problem. Other than that this appears a reasonable buy.
__________________
SidecarJohn

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015