User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Nobade OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Cross country on the Big Ruckus

I bought my 2006 Big Ruckus scooter new, and it slowly accumulated a few miles over the years, never getting ridden much other than around town. This summer I decided to start giving it some love, so it didn't feel so neglected. I had always wanted to take a long ride on a scooter, so this seemed to be the time. I didn't do much to it to get it ready for the trip, other than one big thing was to modify the backrest latch so the back set at a more appropriate angle and not the ghetto slouch it comes with. Otherwise, a colder plug per Honda's recommendations and a good check over and it was ready to hit the road. Leaving Albuquerque, I rode old Rt 66 out to Moriarty where I started the only interstate part of the whole trip. You have to ride on that to get to Cline's Corners where you are back on 2 lane. Smooth cruising on to Clovis and then Texas. Whee! The first time I'd ridden this bike in another state. Across Texas, stopped for the night in Bonner and camped behind a church. (I seem to do that a lot.) The next day made it to Texarkana, across Louisiana, and most of Mississippi to Columbus where I thought better of camping and got a room. The next day onward through Alabama diagonally. Through Birmingham, on up to Chattanooga TN and over to the Ocoee forest where I found a beautiful national park campground. The next day up to Cherokee, NC and on to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I took that up past Roanoke, VA to 460 and into Bedford, VA to visit my parents. After a few days rest, up to Harrisonburg, VA and Massanutten to visit my brother, then back to Bedford to celebrate the 4th of July, and time for the return trip!

When I got to Bedford, I changed the engine and rear end oil. Didn't need to do anything else, this bike seems to be bulletproof! The tires were showing some wear by then though. 4200 miles when I left NM, 6300 miles at this point.

Time to come home. Took 122 out of Bedford, down through NC, SC, (spent a very long time getting through Columbia, SC. That place sure has grown!) through Aiken, into GA and spent the night in Wrens. Again, too many bugs to camp! I stayed in a motel. Nice thing is it was a first floor one, so I could bring the bike inside with me. Feels better that way. The next day, on to Meridian, MS and drop down south to Laurel. Campground this time, it was packed with oilfield guys. I guess fracking is big business around there. The water was awful and I seem to have acquired a case of tourista from it. Fun! The next day on across MS, across LA, and stay in Palestine TX at a very odd RV park with only one guy living there. I got the pleasure of camping next to a pond so had plenty of mosquitoes, bullfrogs, and raccoons to spend the night with. In the morning I went over to the bath house and encountered some interesting insects the likes of which I had never seen. Sort of like three inch long roaches with grasshopper legs - they could really jump, and I had to battle with them for rights to use the shower. I eventually won and got washed up. Then on to Austin, to see my cousin. Had a nice two day visit with her and her husband, got to sample some awesome BBQ, and recover a bit. Must drink lots of fluids!
And the final day - I didn't know if I could make it all the way back to Abq in one day, but I did manage to do so. Those west Texas roads are great for making time! Just hold the throttle pinned until the fuel runs out, refill, and repeat. The whole time I had been getting more or less 75mpg, but that day it dropped down to about 68 since I was running 70 - 80 mph the whole time. Got home pretty late but alive, and was ready to sleep in my own bed again!

So afterward the inspection - both tires shot, at 9000 miles. Air filter needing replacement. Changed engine oil again. Otherwise, no worries! This scooter makes a wonderful travelling companion. Comfortable enough to ride 700 mile days, fast enough to keep up with most traffic, great gas mileage, lots of places to tie on luggage, and I really appreciated the step through. I tied my bicycle's tail bag on it there and kept food in it. I had a gallon jug of water on top, and it rode with me the whole way. Any time I'd get below about 35 mph, usually going through a town, I could flip up my face shield and take a drink so didn't have to stop for water. And trail mix is the deal - I made ziplock bags of it, and at every fuel stop I'd eat a handfull. Never got hungry and didn't have to stop at restaurants. I did take a few cans of sardines as well, they were nice at rest stops and for dinner before going to sleep.

I think I'm hooked on long rides with this bike. I also have a '2000 Kawasaki W650 which I have taken a few overnight rides on, but it really gets to my knees after about 500 miles. With the scooter and its floorboards I can stretch out my legs, move around, and stay pretty comfortable all day long. Now if things work out I hope to take the Ruckus up into CO in a few weeks.....

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...QdsIh4l5k2TGxc
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...P354h4l5k2TGxc
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...oN7Yh4l5k2TGxc
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...cAVoh4l5k2TGxc
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...ElyYh4l5k2TGxc
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...BKXoh4l5k2TGxc
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...0yfYh4l5k2TGxc

Well, here are links - I still haven't managed to imbed pictures in my post yet.

Nobade screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 06:11 AM Reason: added links
Nobade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,758
Smugmug.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Smugmug
I use http://tinypic.com but anything will work really. Can't wait to see the pictures OP!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Packa-adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Great ride -- gotta love the Big Ruck. The Japanese are totally nuts about the BR even though here it takes the back seat to its little brother. The photos make it very clear how perfect the bike is for carrying all the gear for a long trip. Terrific. Thanks!
Packa-adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
I rode my BR home when I bought it. 1300kms and an overnight ferry to get it here and it was a great adventure.
An enjoyable reliable machine that never fails to get looks.
Thanks for the RR.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Only
Big Dreamer

Oddometer: 15
Scooters are cool.
Glad the read that your RARE Big Ruckus is bullet proof. I also own an 06. Love the big bike feel it offers.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
Nobade OP
Adventurer

Yep, the more I ride the Ruckus the more I like it. I took it on a 1200 mile ride through Southern AZ a few weeks ago, and I must say it is the best travelling bike I have ever had. I hardly ride my W650 any more on trips, the Ruck is just so much more comfortable, no chain to deal with, hauls lots of luggage, gets great gas mileage, etc etc...

Since I have done some mods to it, like custom YSS shock, jetted a bit richer, lighter weights in the variator, car tire on the back, etc. it is really working well now. I sure wish they still made these things, but I'll keep this one alive as long as I can manage.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #8
Only
Big Dreamer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
Yep, the more I ride the Ruckus the more I like it. I took it on a 1200 mile ride through Southern AZ a few weeks ago, and I must say it is the best travelling bike I have ever had. I hardly ride my W650 any more on trips, the Ruck is just so much more comfortable, no chain to deal with, hauls lots of luggage, gets great gas mileage, etc etc...

Since I have done some mods to it, like custom YSS shock, jetted a bit richer, lighter weights in the variator, car tire on the back, etc. it is really working well now. I sure wish they still made these things, but I'll keep this one alive as long as I can manage.

I wish mine had 5 more horsepower. I can only hold 64 mph (GPS) on a flat road. Had it to 81 mph on a slight down hill drafting a Keebler cookie truck. LOL
I'm 220 lbs. 250 with ATGATT.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Awesome ride on a scooter, but you want the wrong direction I just can imagine why anyone would go east... Traffic, boring, unimpressive scenery. Its hardly even worth getting on a bike anywhere east of Texas...

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
Nobade OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Awesome ride on a scooter, but you want the wrong direction I just can imagine why anyone would go east... Traffic, boring, unimpressive scenery. Its hardly even worth getting on a bike anywhere east of Texas...

Mike
Yep, I hear ya - 'cept my parents live in VA so they like me to come visit them once in a while. Hoping to head North and West in '15 and see what I can find there. Never seen Nor Cal, or points North of that so I have a lot to explore!