Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #1786
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Noah

Still here enjoying this great RR.

It's good to see that your youth isn't wasted.

God Bless & stay safe

Sent from celly via Tapatalk 2
http://www.greenenergysports.com/
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #1787
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
Hey Noah. A link you might be interested in? current little write up.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886240
BADASS!
Do they need any electrical engineers down there
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #1788
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 649
Thumb

Noah, thanks for the pics and vids and your candid explanation for why you are there. It's obviously a young man's journey. Now approaching 67 I can only applaud your spirit, strength, wisdom and bravery. But as a granddad, I'll feel better when you post from home.
Travel safe young man.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #1789
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
BADASS!
Do they need any electrical engineers down there
Here is a good place to start if you're interested in the USAP.

http://antarcticmemories.thruhere.net/

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #1790
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
Quote:

The truth?
I was working/living in southern California. I'm going to generalize here.. I found people to be rude, materialistic, fake, ignorant and not hard working (does not apply to ADV inmates ). I always said after 5 years with this company I would step back and look at my life. "Am I happy". I liked my job, but I knew I would have to stay in California for a few more years. It was not where I wanted to spend the remainder of my 20s.

I was saving for a house. I had a pretty good down payment set aside. But again, I have no wife.. no kids.. why do I need a house? People always plan to travel when they retire. I am glad many of you get that chance. But I did not want to risk not making it to that point. I have changed so much in the past year.. good bad or ugly, my life will never be the same. It seems a shame to wait until I am old to learn about myself, the world and the people we share it with. No better time than now. I wanted to see the world before it is to fooked up to see. I wanted to experience culture before the western culture has infiltrated every last inch of the earth. No better time than now.

I see people backpacking staying in hostels. They live by the lonely planet book. I feel sorry for them. They just don't get the same experience you do on a moto.. with an idea for a plan.
You'll be so thankful you did it this way. 30 years ago I did a 6 month ride through Europe, spending a time in East Germany and Yugoslavia before they broke up. It's given me perspective that people who never adventured just don't have...

At 28 I had spent every penny I had to continue the adventure, you have a long time to earn money again...only problem is that when you get back to the US, you are really going to be intolerant of the selfish bs that exists here. I spend a lot of time doing nonprofit work in Vietnam these days, every time I come home I'm blown away at how much time and money is spent here on unimportant stuff...

anyway, love your report, enjoy.
'08 KTM 690 SMC
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #1791
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Thanks for following along. I am so thankful for all of you that give me encouragement. Without being held accountable to this RR... I might not take the time to write it down or take that picture. I'm a bit lazy like that. But you forget. And I'm happy that I can share it with all of you.

Hiya Hardwaregirl! Glad you are enjoying. Cheers.

The truth?
I was working/living in southern California. I'm going to generalize here.. I found people to be rude, materialistic, fake, ignorant and not hard working (does not apply to ADV inmates ). I always said after 5 years with this company I would step back and look at my life. "Am I happy". I liked my job, but I knew I would have to stay in California for a few more years. It was not where I wanted to spend the remainder of my 20s.

I was saving for a house. I had a pretty good down payment set aside. But again, I have no wife.. no kids.. why do I need a house? People always plan to travel when they retire. I am glad many of you get that chance. But I did not want to risk not making it to that point. I have changed so much in the past year.. good bad or ugly, my life will never be the same. It seems a shame to wait until I am old to learn about myself, the world and the people we share it with. No better time than now. I wanted to see the world before it is to fooked up to see. I wanted to experience culture before the western culture has infiltrated every last inch of the earth. No better time than now.

I see people backpacking staying in hostels. They live by the lonely planet book. I feel sorry for them. They just don't get the same experience you do on a moto.. with an idea for a plan.
The statement about waiting to retire is so on the mark. I fall into this revelation. I retired a few years ago and a few years before my kickoff date my hips started going out to the point where even driving for more than 30 minutes was too painful. I thought if I could just get off my feet, rest up a little I could rehabilitate the hip that was giving me problems well I ended up with a hip replacement. Well I am back on my feet again and gearing up as we speak but it took a lot of time and work to get to this point. Going in your younger years has one aspect that you can never recover, the youthful looks that attract a wide swath of the opposite sex and this item can not be underestimated! But I must say everyday is a good day when you don't have to go to work and just rip around the countryside on a moto.Dude nice RR!
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #1792
martīn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Really enjoyed the sound of that KTM riding through the tunnel!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #1793
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

that hurts.

I can't find my fly reel. I think I must not have put it back in my bag a few days ago when I was fishing.

I have a cheap spinning reel I will use until I can get another fly reel.. which will probably be in Russia. Maybe Altai?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #1794
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
I have a cheap spinning reel I will use until I can get another fly reel.. which will probably be in Russia. Maybe Altai?
If you can PM me an address to ship you a reel; I might have a Ross Gunnison you could borrow.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #1795
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
What an epic vacation/trip/journey! Smart move on your part to get about seeing the world now. I totally understand your decision and support your idea. As a RN I make decent money, fund my 401k, and Roth IRA but can't stand where I work or where my life is headed. With a wife (which I love very much) and baby on the way it is nearly impossible for me to pic up and go. I admire your courage to take up and go. It takes real cojones to leave everything behind and do what YOU want to do. Keep it coming as it is my fix!!!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #1796
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
What an epic vacation/trip/journey! Smart move on your part to get about seeing the world now. I totally understand your decision and support your idea. As a RN I make decent money, fund my 401k, and Roth IRA but can't stand where I work or where my life is headed. With a wife (which I love very much) and baby on the way it is nearly impossible for me to pic up and go. I admire your courage to take up and go. It takes real cojones to leave everything behind and do what YOU want to do. Keep it coming as it is my fix!!!

Later
John
John, I think that is a familiar story.

I wasn't smart enough to realize that I could pull this off in my 20's. Of course, I could have. It's a lot more difficult with a successful business, wife and 2 kids. Great life with no regrets, but it'd be a very different trip in my 20's, than in my 50's when I get around to it.

Ride on Noah!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #1797
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

I wasn't smart enough to realize that I could pull this off in my 20's. Of course, I could have. It's a lot more difficult with a successful business, wife and 2 kids. Great life with no regrets, but it'd be a very different trip in my 20's, than in my 50's when I get around to it.

Ride on Noah!
I wasn't brave enough in my 20's. But not any more. I've spent months in places like Juarez MX and found nothing but great people. The world is full of them. Noah's trip shows that and following along has been inpsirational. You're right the trip will be different at 50 vs. 20, but in some ways it may also be better.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #1798
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
If you can PM me an address to ship you a reel; I might have a Ross Gunnison you could borrow.
Damn, that is tempting. I'll be able to find one in Altai though. I send/received emails with Russian guides and they pointed me in the right direction.

2 days ago I was next to a river eating lunch. slow moving with huge trees on the side. I noticed quite a few mayfly looking bugs on the ground. they were dark grey. (we have white ones in Minnesota). I thought i've got this pattern in black. you should have seen how dumb I looked trying to cast a fly with a spinner reel.
I am happy to say my dry streak in Asia has ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post

Later
John
I had a good job too.. key word.. HAD
I'll be able to get work when I get home. Sometimes I miss the engineering challenge... but then my bike breaks and i get my fix.. and I think that was way better then working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

Ride on Noah!
Thanks for following guys
I think I'll probably have to do a trip when I am 50 also.. to see how the world has changed.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1799
LordSteven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Loved the last video, gorgeous landscape and the tunnel was too cool. Thanks for posting so often I really enjoy it.
LordSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #1800
yourMom
n00b

Oddometer: 1
You might change, good, bad or ugly, it is inevitable, but never grow up Noah!
yourMom is offline   Reply With Quote