Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #2491
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I just got an email about an interesting new product that probably would have helped you massively when your bike was stolen. Are you using a SPOT tracker? Check this out:
http://findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=130
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #2492
kyotoviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Awesome report. I've just spent two weeks reading through everything. Thank you for taking us along on your travel. I have a serious case of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) so it was really nice to daydream and see your photos. It's a shame I couldn't meet up with you when you were around. If you ever come back to the Kansai Region, come and stay with us. It's snowing in Hokkaido btw.
kyotoviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #2493
SirBikeALot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Just wanted to say a quick "Thank You" for letting me ride with you ... virtually. I'm impressed with where you went, how you went there and how you experience the things around you. I'm also in awe at how fast you connect with strangers and how you know a lot of people around the world.

Keep up the reports and the photos. They brighten up my day.
Best of luck!
SirBikeALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #2494
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBikeALot View Post
Just wanted to say a quick "Thank You" for letting me ride with you ... virtually. I'm impressed with where you went, how you went there and how you experience the things around you. I'm also in awe at how fast you connect with strangers and how you know a lot of people around the world.

Best of luck!
That's a good first post!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #2495
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Noah, thank you for sharing your adventures with us. From the Noah’s Arc—suit lead in to the pairings up two by two, to your recent time in Japan. I know it takes a great deal of time and energy to keep this thread updated. Your trials, tribulations, trails, tracks, tinkerings and triumphs have been captivating. Of all the threads I have ever read, I think you must have the greatest number of post #1 responders--people that have been lurking for ages and were so enthralled with your RR they just had to come out from behind the curtain and say so!

I think it is amazing that you took Fishfund’s former bike--the reviled, orange haired stepchild of 690 unreliability, and by addressing a few known issues and upgrading a few parts turned it into the poster child of reliable RTW capability for the 690.

The other thing I’ve seen in this thread more than any other is that if a single rider sets off on a journey of this magnitude and doesn’t write a RR as they are going, or take advantage of resources like the couchsurfing/tentspace communities—they are gypping themselves of one of the great rewards of the voyage—getting to meet many more like minded individuals and groups along the way than you would otherwise.

You mentioned early on the intention to use the RR bashplate fluid reservoir for taking along your next oil change when headed into the back of beyond areas. Did you actually use it for that or instead for carrying extra gasoline or water (hmmm, whiskey maybe?). Any comments on its utility/ease of use? I was thinking that with the reservoir removed that area would be a decent place for carrying a dirty big security chain?

I know you started off with the KLIM Badlands gear and continue to use it. More and more in your posts I see you are getting drenched through in heavy downpours. Approximately how long did the KLIM gear remain effectively water proof? Any efforts to re-condition it with surface repellency sprays, hot dryers and the like? Is lost of waterproofing covered under KLIM’s warranty? I’ve personally had lousy experiences with brand name Gore-Tex, and knock offs in the distant past—I was kinda hoping to see with current top shelf gear that it was more effective/durable than from the gear from back in the day. Would you buy the same jacket and pants if you had it back?

I know the Hi-Vis Helmets stand out from a mile away and are great for safety. I’m ambivalent as to whether my next lid will be white or Hi-Vis Yellow. I’m thinking white might be slightly more sunlight reflective for heat issues—and the yellow more attractive to bees and their ilk? Have you had any issues you know of where bees seem to home in on your head more now with the yellow helmet? I guess if you were to have an issue it would have been there in Japan, the land of the dreaded giant hornet.

Early on in the RR you had the ME guy advising you against the durable rear sprockets as they might lead to premature chain wear. What did your experiment/data show? Accelerated chain wear from expected or heck no, go get the good sprockets?

Back on the BAM road after a hard days ride you had some beer with your buddies and *made some greyhounds* I tried goggling that phrase without much luck. Can you fill me in on its meaning please?

Lastly thank you for sharing that link to the RR on the Kiwi that rode to Kabul. Awesome thread, and despite my fascination with well prepped bikes, and gear nuances—That RR goes to show that sometimes you can make it on a 40 year old bike, a pair of jeans, a passport and some determination.

To butcher an old nautical expression I wish you fair winds, a large following and no seize.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #2496
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Hey Bike Nomad

Are you a writer? Well turned phrases, one after the other says so. Just curious.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #2497
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:

Best of luck!
Thanks bud. You my friend, picked a great name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
Noah, thank you for sharing your adventures with us. From the Noah’s Arc—suit lead in to the pairings up two by two, to your recent time in Japan. I know it takes a great deal of time and energy to keep this thread updated. Your trials, tribulations, trails, tracks, tinkerings and triumphs have been captivating. Of all the threads I have ever read, I think you must have the greatest number of post #1 responders--people that have been lurking for ages and were so enthralled with your RR they just had to come out from behind the curtain and say so!

1. I think it is amazing that you took Fishfund’s former bike--the reviled, orange haired stepchild of 690 unreliability, and by addressing a few known issues and upgrading a few parts turned it into the poster child of reliable RTW capability for the 690.

2. The other thing I’ve seen in this thread more than any other is that if a single rider sets off on a journey of this magnitude and doesn’t write a RR as they are going, or take advantage of resources like the couchsurfing/tentspace communities—they are gypping themselves of one of the great rewards of the voyage—getting to meet many more like minded individuals and groups along the way than you would otherwise.

3. You mentioned early on the intention to use the RR bashplate fluid reservoir for taking along your next oil change when headed into the back of beyond areas. Did you actually use it for that or instead for carrying extra gasoline or water (hmmm, whiskey maybe?). Any comments on its utility/ease of use? I was thinking that with the reservoir removed that area would be a decent place for carrying a dirty big security chain?

4. I know you started off with the KLIM Badlands gear and continue to use it. More and more in your posts I see you are getting drenched through in heavy downpours. Approximately how long did the KLIM gear remain effectively water proof? Any efforts to re-condition it with surface repellency sprays, hot dryers and the like? Is lost of waterproofing covered under KLIM’s warranty? I’ve personally had lousy experiences with brand name Gore-Tex, and knock offs in the distant past—I was kinda hoping to see with current top shelf gear that it was more effective/durable than from the gear from back in the day. Would you buy the same jacket and pants if you had it back?

5. I know the Hi-Vis Helmets stand out from a mile away and are great for safety. I’m ambivalent as to whether my next lid will be white or Hi-Vis Yellow. I’m thinking white might be slightly more sunlight reflective for heat issues—and the yellow more attractive to bees and their ilk? Have you had any issues you know of where bees seem to home in on your head more now with the yellow helmet? I guess if you were to have an issue it would have been there in Japan, the land of the dreaded giant hornet.

6. Early on in the RR you had the ME guy advising you against the durable rear sprockets as they might lead to premature chain wear. What did your experiment/data show? Accelerated chain wear from expected or heck no, go get the good sprockets?

7. Back on the BAM road after a hard days ride you had some beer with your buddies and *made some greyhounds* I tried goggling that phrase without much luck. Can you fill me in on its meaning please?

8. Lastly thank you for sharing that link to the RR on the Kiwi that rode to Kabul. Awesome thread, and despite my fascination with well prepped bikes, and gear nuances—That RR goes to show that sometimes you can make it on a 40 year old bike, a pair of jeans, a passport and some determination.

To butcher an old nautical expression I wish you fair winds, a large following and no seize.
Ok. I numbered yours so I could answer the questions easier. Jebus.

1. The 690 had a learning period and most of the issues are now know. Unfortunately for fishfund, when he did his trip, the KTM was a new bike with a learning curve. I greatly benefit from the prior knowledge. The fact remains, the bike really doesn't have many mechanical issues int he motor.

2. Some times you want to camp. Sometimes you want to meet locals. Sometimes you want to stay with other motoheads. Sometimes you want a hotel to yourself. There are many resources available. As much as I like couch surfer, I find it hard to use unless I know I will be in a big city for a few days. My trip schedule is in weeks or months.. not days. So planning 2 weeks in advance to be in a certain place to get a couch to surf quite a hassle sometimes. Much easier to pitch the tent.

3. All through Siberia I had Motul in it. I was worried it was mixed with water after a while. I never used the oil because i was worried it mixed with water and I was able to find new oil easily. In Irkutsk, before the BAM, I drained some out into a 20 oz bottle and used it as my spare. There is still some oil in there and I need to check if it has water in it or not. I might go with a regular bash plate in the future. I'll check your idea to carry a chain though.

4. I just recently washed and sprayed the Klim gear with waterproofing. I had not done that since the start of the trip. More to come.

5. I like the Arai helmet. It fits me well and it is comfortable. I wish it breathed better but you take the good with the bad. The High Vis is good, but now it is really fading. A few months ago someone asked me if the helmet was fading and I said no. But in retrospect, It probably was fading when he asked but I didn't notice until I lost a plastic vent cover. It revealed a patch of paint that was the brilliant bright yellow that the helmet used to be. I like that people can see it. But in some 3rd world countries.. it sticks out. but.. so does the bike. The good with the bad.

6. Chains are lasting a while.. but i'm riding in stuff that kills them (dust and dirt). The sprockets hold up amazing and I recommend them.

7. A greyhound is Vodka and grapefruit juice. A salty dog is a greyhound with salt on the rim. Both are great.

8. Yup. Many people travel on old bikes and have a great time. His pictures and the part of the world he traveled through made his report deserve praise.
Ride what you have. Ride when you can. Fix it when it breaks. Have a good time. Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Are you a writer? Well turned phrases, one after the other says so. Just curious.
I'm an engineer. I never received good grades in creative writing classes. I can't spell with out a computer. Some times its a task, but most of the time I really like reliving the experiences with all of you.

Cheers.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #2498
SirBikeALot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
That's a good first post!
Thanks. I actually signed up just to "show support". I'm sure it's not all that much fun to post this from inside a tent in the middle of nowhere.
SirBikeALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #2499
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Adding to the SEA part of your journey, Check up with the relevant authorities where its safe to go and not..
Certain parts of Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines contain bacon hating extremists that would be best avoided.
You probably know this as a worldly traverser anyway, apologies if so
Old 11-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #2500
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Bacon Haters :eek:

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #2501
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Noah, really enjoying the Japan portion of this report. I hit port in Sasebo (sp?) in the Navy and have always wanted to go back to Japan and really have a chance to soak it in. It has to be one of the most unique places in the world.

Many years on the road. When the wanderlust is satisfied, do you think you'll have issues getting employed due to the absence? I mean obviously if the boss is on advrider youll be hired , but employers today can be so picky about gaps in work experience, hiring younger people, etc.. does it ever concern you? Maybe pursue a masters?

I know, don't live under your bed. What you're doing is awesome and an order of magnitude more awesome than the Alaska trip I took this year (which was awesome to me) and no reason to regret one second, but does it ever cross your mind?

Looking forward to your next report rink
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #2502
tyrsmkkyle
off the ground.

Oddometer: 237
still following this noah, thanks to you and kanur, im prepping my gsxr for trade in on a 14 690r hope you guys are happy (: If only i could stay off the twins site, ive got thousands mentally spent on add ons on a bike thats not even in dealers for weeks!
tyrsmkkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #2503
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Many years on the road. When the wanderlust is satisfied, do you think you'll have issues getting employed due to the absence?
Everything I have heard about the US economy is that firms can't find enough engineers with experience. I think Noah will not hurt for work as long as he is flexible about job location.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #2504
Desert Boy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Everything I have heard about the US economy is that firms can't find enough engineers with experience. I think Noah will not hurt for work as long as he is flexible about job location.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
"Gaps" in work history that are brought about by high value activities like RTW travel add to overall experience and appeal. If young job applicants show that they have travelled significantly, their chance of making the short list is a lot greater.

The extra value that Noah will bring to a future job (and his future employers) is massive.
Desert Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #2505
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Thanks. I actually signed up just to "show support". I'm sure it's not all that much fun to post this from inside a tent in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks.. but to be fair... I'm in a pretty comfortable place right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
Adding to the SEA part of your journey, Check up with the relevant authorities where its safe to go and not..
Certain parts of Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines contain bacon hating extremists that would be best avoided.
You probably know this as a worldly traverser anyway, apologies if so
There are people who don't like Bacon? I'll just have to grow my beard out some more so I fit in like I did in Tajikistan
I'd rather go into a place with out preconceptions. I like to go wherever.. but not push the limits. I would not have ridden Tajikistan this summer if listened to the rumors and didn't get information for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Noah, really enjoying the Japan portion of this report. I hit port in Sasebo (sp?) in the Navy and have always wanted to go back to Japan and really have a chance to soak it in. It has to be one of the most unique places in the world.

Many years on the road. When the wanderlust is satisfied, do you think you'll have issues getting employed due to the absence? I mean obviously if the boss is on advrider youll be hired , but employers today can be so picky about gaps in work experience, hiring younger people, etc.. does it ever concern you? Maybe pursue a masters?
k
Japan is interesting. And as of yesterday, I've been here for 2 months

I've been trying to get the bike on a boat for a few weeks but there are 3 things that are slowing that down.

1. Japan companies don't like to respond to emails it seems like.
2. No prepay sim cards in Japan and in order to get a prepay phone, you have to be a Japan resident.
3. The 1 quote I got by email was about $3000 to get the bike to Thailand. And that was by boat. I should be able to do it for less then $1200 by boat. Maybe being gaijen in this situation isn't a good one.

As for the job search, I'm sure I won't have any problems. I can always go back to the same company if I need to. Or, there were 3 other companies who gave me job offers when they heard I was leaving. The utility industry is in desperate need of engineers all around the world. So I'm not worried about that.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote