ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #3001
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner
 
c-zulu's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: North shore of Gitchigumi
Oddometer: 1,396
Kudos Noah for passing on the knowledge to those kids.
__________________
c-zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #3002
davesupreme
grand poobah
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: palm harbor, fla
Oddometer: 1,642
the Khmer Rouge era is totally sobering.... something that we in the US have never, and hopefully will never, experience.... the problem is that we are so 'fat' that most will never understand...

the thing I can't ever understand is how people could commit such atrocities... kinda like the Nazi's that ran the concentration camps....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #3003
sdd04
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
Oddometer: 843
Great report as always Noah. Sounds like you're a natural teacher. Maybe you're finding out what you'll be doing in your next life!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #3004
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Great report as always Noah. Sounds like you're a natural teacher. Maybe you're finding out what you'll be doing in your next life!
Yep.... +1.
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #3005
moto rrad
ADV n00b
 
moto rrad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: German land
Oddometer: 101
Sorry, but this photo put a smile on my face, and I had to quote it.. Noah the nutty professor.

Not to draw comparisons, but they probably thought your were god. Crazy bearded white man arrives on a moto to teach them about electricity? no way!

Major kudos to you for helping out those kids

__________________
Suzi XF650 "Freewind"
moto rrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #3006
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer
 
poppawheelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 584
Wow. Thanks again for your pictures and comments. Sobering, enlightening, and uplifting - what you did with the kids. I'm an EE. Brought back early memories.
__________________
"To me the trail is calling! The old trail - the trail that is always new." Matthew Alexander Henson

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #3007
twflybum
Prodigal Biker
 
twflybum's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto rrad View Post
Sorry, but this photo put a smile on my face, and I had to quote it.. Noah the nutty professor.

Not to draw comparisons, but they probably thought your were god. Crazy bearded white man arrives on a moto to teach them about electricity? no way!

Major kudos to you for helping out those kids
Too cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Wow. Thanks again for your pictures and comments. Sobering, enlightening, and uplifting - what you did with the kids.
+1

Out of all your great posts.. this one is a gem. The smiling faces of those kids, full of hope and moving forward from their country's sad history. Thanks so much for sharing.

+100 on nk.
twflybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #3008
K777
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 40
Love it

I just caught up on your RR after being turned on to it from Lalo aka Flyingdutchman. Loved every minute of your ride.
I'm a just shy of 50 female scooter rider turned BMW 700 GS rider who has ridden lots of Vespa miles solo and have many planned Beemer solo miles planned this season.
For a few years I've been thinking/planning a Vietnam trip, and next year I'm going to make it happen. My friends keep pulling out, but I'm doing it no matter what in 2015.
2 questions
I was thinking October, but was January a good time to be riding there? I'm planning on a north west trip from Hanoi and want to avoid the rainy season.
Why a scooter? Don't get me wrong, my Vespas are the best way to get around NYC where I live, but if it weren't for getting through customs into Cambodia(?) would you have rather rented a 125 or 250 motorcycle?

Ride on, love it, and stay safe. You are so lucky to be doing this at your age. I'm trying to keep healthy so I can do it when I retire.
__________________
'13 F700GS
'79 Vespa P125
'07 Vespa GTS 250
K777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #3009
lightfighter
where does this go?
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Sierra Vista AZ.
Oddometer: 2,291
Yup, I don't care what you do for a living... If you love what you do, teaching it will positively rock.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #3010
vander
full-time dreamer
 
vander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 918
I don't want to offend anybody because I make a clear distinction between people and governments, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
the Khmer Rouge era is totally sobering.... something that we in the US have never, and hopefully will never, experience.... the problem is that we are so 'fat' that most will never understand...

the thing I can't ever understand is how people could commit such atrocities... kinda like the Nazi's that ran the concentration camps....

People commited such atrocities because the USA, amongst others, allowed it.

Realpolitik is much more important than humanbeings, cultures and societies (sic).


As I said, hope nobody feels hurt by this comment. What I hope is you watch this documentary by John Pilger. Images are not explicit, don't worry. But emotions are. Extremely moving.


"YEAR ZERO: The Silent Death of Cambodia."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W_RtNNwUz0



.
__________________
XTZ
vander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #3011
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by K777 View Post
I just caught up on your RR after being turned on to it from Lalo aka Flyingdutchman. Loved every minute of your ride.
I'm a just shy of 50 female scooter rider turned BMW 700 GS rider who has ridden lots of Vespa miles solo and have many planned Beemer solo miles planned this season.
For a few years I've been thinking/planning a Vietnam trip, and next year I'm going to make it happen. My friends keep pulling out, but I'm doing it no matter what in 2015.
2 questions
I was thinking October, but was January a good time to be riding there? I'm planning on a north west trip from Hanoi and want to avoid the rainy season.
Why a scooter? Don't get me wrong, my Vespas are the best way to get around NYC where I live, but if it weren't for getting through customs into Cambodia(?) would you have rather rented a 125 or 250 motorcycle?

Ride on, love it, and stay safe. You are so lucky to be doing this at your age. I'm trying to keep healthy so I can do it when I retire.
I would have loved a 125 or 250, a proper motorcycle. We just didn't have time to find one. Plus, The idea was to ride scooters. It was a dumb idea, but Travis and I will never forget VN on our shitty little scooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
I don't want to offend anybody because I make a clear distinction between people and governments, so...

People commited such atrocities because the USA, amongst others, allowed it.

Realpolitik is much more important than humanbeings, cultures and societies (sic).


As I said, hope nobody feels hurt by this comment. What I hope is you watch this documentary by John Pilger. Images are not explicit, don't worry. But emotions are. Extremely moving.


"YEAR ZERO: The Silent Death of Cambodia."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W_RtNNwUz0



.
This is true. The rest of the world turned the other way and decided not to see. After the VN army pushed the Khmer Rouge out of power, they still held a seat in the UN. Mostly because the UN and the US didn't want to recognize a government that was set up with the help of Vietnam.

The fighting continued into the 90s in Cambodia and the Khmer Rouge gorilla army was funded many countries including Thailand.. who got quite a bit of support from the US. So yeah. Its messed up and we can't let history repeat itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twflybum View Post
Too cool!!


+1

Out of all your great posts.. this one is a gem. The smiling faces of those kids, full of hope and moving forward from their country's sad history. Thanks so much for sharing.

+100 on nk.
Thanks. It was a lot of fun teaching the kids. Mostly because I think like a child myself sometimes and I would have loved to learn about this stuff at a young age. I was the kid who took apart the radio to see what was in side... even if it wasn't broken.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #3012
HoJoOkie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 53
Now I'm really proud of you Noah.

Thanks for the Pol Pot and Killing Fields reminder. It reminds me of East Semore.

Keep on being who you are.
HoJoOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #3013
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bike Nomad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Central Newfoundland, Canada
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoOkie View Post
It reminds me of East Semore.
Did you perhaps mean East Timor?
__________________
DON'T GET IT TWISTED --ITS DUAL SPORT! NOT DUEL SPORT!
Bike Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 AM   #3014
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Quang Ninh Province, Vietnam
Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by K777 View Post
I just caught up on your RR after being turned on to it from Lalo aka Flyingdutchman. Loved every minute of your ride.
I'm a just shy of 50 female scooter rider turned BMW 700 GS rider who has ridden lots of Vespa miles solo and have many planned Beemer solo miles planned this season.
For a few years I've been thinking/planning a Vietnam trip, and next year I'm going to make it happen. My friends keep pulling out, but I'm doing it no matter what in 2015.
2 questions
I was thinking October, but was January a good time to be riding there? I'm planning on a north west trip from Hanoi and want to avoid the rainy season.
Why a scooter? Don't get me wrong, my Vespas are the best way to get around NYC where I live, but if it weren't for getting through customs into Cambodia(?) would you have rather rented a 125 or 250 motorcycle?

Ride on, love it, and stay safe. You are so lucky to be doing this at your age. I'm trying to keep healthy so I can do it when I retire.
Get something that Vietnamese mechanics can work on. I have a broken xr 250 that has been a real pain to get parts for. The speeds are very low so a scooter is fine. I paid $3k for xr250 and $300 for my wife's Yamaha nuovo 2.
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #3015
achesley
Old Motorcyclist
 
achesley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Jennings, Louisiana
Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
KLR's will rule the end of the WORLD !!!
jj
I had read somewhere's , that at the end of the world, there would only cock roaches and KLR's still around. LOL!
__________________

A '00 KLR 650 40,000 miles, A '07 1250S 74,000 , A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 78,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015