Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #346
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
Hey Noah, what tires are you rocking? I've been thinking about some Heidenaus...
I have a couple of thousand miles on mine. I love them. Go for it!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #347
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
Hey Noah, what tires are you rocking? I've been thinking about some Heidenaus...
First I had Mefo explorers. They made it 8500 miles. The rear is great front I don't care for.

Then I put the Pirelli mt 90. Front I was impressed with.. rear was showing threads after 4500 miles. Won't be using the mt90 again. I need to try a tkc 80 on the front soon.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #348
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,828
MEfo VS Heidenau

When Noah and I compared these 2 rear tires in the 140/80 -18 size they were identical except the Mefo had a center wear bar to add some life when the tread goes down... Both tires are made in Germany, probably the same factory, but with the added wear bar the Mefo will likely win a longevity contest between the 2...

gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #349
Kimball76
I'll take one of each.

Oddometer: 24
Giant Loop thoughts...

Great report so far RoninMoto! I'll be interested to hear your first hand account of fitting the GL Great Basin. I'm seriously considering going that route on my 690. Seems to offer the flexibility I need between hauling capacity while still giving me the freedom to remove it and tear up some dirt!

Keep the updates coming and safe travels!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #350
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,390
Hi Noah. Great ride and great report! I stopped and chatted with your dad at the Cobblestone on a ride through that area recently and he was telling me about your trip. Glad I finally found the thread. Looking forward to more adventure.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #351
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

AB, MT, WY, SD and MN.

I thought today was a good day to get caught up. I have been in MN for the past few weeks. With the 4th of July, ordering parts, getting paperwork done ect... I have not had much time. Enjoy.

June 13. Canmore AB to Missoula MT. 502 miles/807km
Early morning. On the road by 8:00 in order to make it to Missoula while it was still light. I was planning on riding the "To The Sun Road" in Gacier National Park but it was not open yet because of snow. My friends in Missoula greated me with cold beer, sutffed pork chops, and a hot tub soak.

Hats on fence posts?

Almost in Montana

There we go.. MONTANA!

June 14. Missoula MT to Bozeman MT. 303 miles/488 km
After a quick ride to Hamilton Montana, I ate lunch with with my friend parrents. I love these guys.. they are always smiling! My plan was to ride the Skalkaho Highway from Hamilton to Anaconda but there was road construction that was closing the road for 2 hours at a time. The road would be open for 15 minutes ever even hour. I got there at 12:19. So instead of waiting around for almost 2 hours, I decided to go south toward the Lost trail ski resort and take the pass over to Bighole. I took secondary roads into Bozeman and made it to my friend Bop's house early evening. Good to be back in Bozeman.

Miss Montana!

Helping some peddlers. They ran out of patches and were on their last tube.

Bigsky country!

June 15, 16, 17 Bozeman MT.
It was not a mistake that I hit Bozeman on a weekend. I have many friends from living there who I needed to see. After 3 days in Bozeman, the liver needs a break..

Sweet cafe racer CB750 at the "Bike Shack" in Bozeman.

Heading to the river to fish.

Catching a wopper in the Galliton

Taking the 125 for a spin

June 18. Bozeman MT to Cooke City MT. 139 miles /224 km
I left Bozeman with every intetion of going to through Yellowstone, over Beartooth pass and into Billings. The travel gods had a different plan. I put the bike down in Yellowstone. The damage to the bike: leaking gas tank, scraped up hand gaurds, and shreded pannier. The damage to me: Hurt pride. The Klim gear worked amazing and I didn't have a scratch on me. I sat in a pull off for about an hour waiting for the adrenaline to wear off then made the short drive to Cooke City to get my head back and get some sleep. The power went out for a few hours when I was in Cooke City. Luckily one of the restaraunts let me right an out of state check because I didn't have any cash. What a day. Glad it was over.

Between Bozeman and Gardener MT

I didn't have a scratch on me.

June 19. Cooke City MT to Lovell Wy. 220 miles/ 354 km
It felt like I was snowboarding park and crashing hard for the past few days. The beartooth pass is was so beautiful, when I got to Redlodge Montana, I turned around and went back over the pass. The second time over the pass it snowed on me. Nothing stuck but still snow. I had heard from my friend Drew that Chief Joseph Highway was amazing. He wasn't lying. I stayed that night in Lovell Wyoming.

Looking back toward Cooke City MT.

The south side of beartooth pass

The north side of beartooth pass

Snow the second time over.

Ski/snowboard camp at the top.

True.

A canyon under the Chief Joseph Highway

It was deep..

June 20. Lovell Wy to Rapid City SD. 343 miles/ 552 km
The day started out with the last stretch of road I was looking forward to. Hwy 14 over the Bighorn mountians is a must for any riders "to do list". I met some German riders who rented Harleys and were touring around the states for a while. I'll have to go see them when I get to Germany this fall. I was beginning to have the sinking feeling that the Pirelli MT90 rear tire was not going to make it to Minnesota like I had hoped. I had about 4k miles on it and it was spent. Almost on threads. Every place I stopped or called in WY didn't have a tire for me. A shop in rapid city said they had an 18 inch street tire. I spend the night at my friends house in Rapid City.

Miss Wyoming at her diner in Lovell

Partway up the Bighorns on 14.

Ze Germans!

A whole lot of flat land in front of me :(

this should be a subaru add.

Almost spent Pirelli MT90 in Rapid City. I put another 360 miles on this one before having to change it out.

June 21. Rapid City SD to Watertown SD. 362 miles/ 582 km
At the shop in Rapid City, I see that the 18" street tire is a front tire for a Harley. This might work but I don't feel like getting bent over a stump for it. They had a 18" trials tire for cheap so I bought that as a spare and continued accross South Dakota. By the time I hit Wattertown, the rear was showing threads.

Somewhere in SD.

June 22 Watertown SD to Mille Lacs. 324 miles/ 521 km
I started the day changing out the rear tire in the rain. After 50 miles every block on the center of the tire ripped off. It was such a soft rubber it could not handle the road. A honda shop in Willmer MN had a used tire off a XR650 with plenty of tread left. Finnaly I will be a able to make it home. I met up with my friend Matt in St. Cloud and rode up the Mille Lacs for a little gambling. He has a Harley but I think his next bike will be a KTM or something off road capable. I had some good luck at the black jack table and was able to pay for prime rib that night for both of us.

A fresh non-DOT trials tire to try to limp home. I wish i had a pic of it 50 miles later.

June 23 Mille Lacs MN to Tofte MN. 236 miles/ 379 km
With all the rain in the past few days and flooding in Duluth we went north to Eveleth MN to see my grand parrents. The Mississippi was swelling up pretty bad and many of the roads we tried to ride were closed. It took about an hour longer to Eveleth then we had orriginally planned because of all the zig-zagging. We took back roads to the North shore. It is good to be back in fimiliar terratory!

My Gramps is coming round the world with me!

Uncle, Aunt, grams and gramps.

Palisade head overlooking Lake Superior.

Matt!

Tofte/Grand Marais Minnesota
I planned on staying in Minnesota for 3 weeks to work on the bike, catch up with family/friends, get some fishing in, and get loggistics for the next couple years done. I still plan on heading to Europe the first part of August. My "East Coast Loop" might have to be more like a "sprint to the coast to catch a flight" depending on when all my parts and gear get in.

Car lifts. Not only for cars.

You can see where my priorities lie. Who needs a nice truck when you can ride those 2 beauties!

Fishin on the big lake with Dad and Brother.

Walleye!

I realize these MN pics are not part of my "ride" but I needed to show the reason it took me until now to get caught up. A post changes, fixes and maintenance to the bike shortly to follow.

Peace!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #352
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
I am glad to see that you are ok after at crash. I almost fell asleep at the reigns in Yellowstone, but was woken up by a park ranger for having gone through a stop sign. Close call. The jacket can be mended, the side cases fixed. Again, glad to see you are ok. Nice job fishing btw.

JG

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #353
X Banana Boy
stuck in the office

Oddometer: 1,855
The first photo with the caps on the polls - the first cap has the old South African flag on it, ie the flag used under apartheid.
X Banana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #354
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
For us, your Minnesota IS the ride!

Dang, you catch fish too...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #355
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Did the RR tank get hit or the stock from the tank mounts? Glad you're OK.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #356
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkyote View Post
Did the RR tank get hit or the stock from the tank mounts? Glad you're OK.
I had a bolt into the bottom brass grommit on the tank. It pushed it into the tank and cracked it on the inside.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #357
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,821
Care to share where you got this limit of eyes and bait used? One of those secret lakes along the shore? Ever hit up Whitefish lake with a pole?

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #358
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
hey Noah, you gonna ship the Badlands back to Idaho to be repaired??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #359
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
fish

weeks now and still no big fish,
Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #360
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Care to share where you got this limit of eyes and bait used? One of those secret lakes along the shore? Ever hit up Whitefish lake with a pole?

Brule lake. Can't say where. Never been fishing on whitefish lake.