Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #556
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,106
WTF has this thread turned into..... hey, a lock fest!
If some fucker wants your bike, it's going, fullstop. It just takes them a second or two longer, but that's all.... seconds!
Best form of defence is to keep the iron out of sight, if monkey can't see, monkey won't want!
It is a sad fact of life now, a scrote can ruin your dream in a squeeze of a cropper. They are bastards!!!

Noah, my PM offer still stands if you need assistance in UK. I guess you have a gang of the Irish lads offering help over there....... let's hope the 690 is able to be repaired back up to your standards.

Timpo.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #557
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Noah, this is some sad news. I hope you get your bike back soon because I loved reading your story.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #558
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Ireland

Well. Since I have been in Ireland I have not posted any pictures. Today I got a very nice personalized tour of the city, some government buildings and a museum from a local guy who actually was one of the guys who spotted the 690 being flogged. This was the firs time I have actually taken my camera out of the case since receiving my bike and getting it through customs. So now I am feeling pretty good about live. So here are the past few days:

Thursday Aug 9.
Land in Dublin. Get my bags. Go to Servisair to get documents for Customs. Go to customs and get documents stamped for Servisair. Wait for an hour for the Servisair warehouse people to bring the crate containing the 690 out.
Put all the luggage on the 690 and get ride of the $10 shatty rolling luggage purchased in Toronto to carry everything. I was able to keep the Giantloop on the bike with my tools, spare parts, jacket, pants, boots and helmet strapped to the bike or in the bag. This helped a lot. Traveling with out a bike SUCKS with all the moto gear.

Getting all packed up.

So then I traveled into Dublin the whole time concentrating on driving on the "right" err.. Left side of the road. I checked into a hostel and unloaded my bike. at this point I could hardly see strait I needed to go to bed so bad. After a couple hour nap the moto was missing. So for the past 3 days I have been receiving emails, messages and phone calls from people all over Dublin, Ireland and the world. I felt so alone the first day but now I feel like the whole country is behind me. I have been offered bikes to ride, bikes to buy, tours by car, places to stay, coffee, food, shop space, vans and money. I am wondering when the woman will show up.
I walked around a fair bit by myself but I have been feeling kinda shitty. A combination of the jetlag an circumstance no doubt.

This guy was a street artist. He did amazing work. I wish I had a picture of the paining that was already done.

Obviously I am finding good food. I have to keep my "shape". They look at me funny when I order "black coffee"

Here are some pictures of today.

This is the "spire". Its tall enough to warrant a airplane beacon.

This is where the Pope talked to a million people in the 70s. Not so interesting but the view from there was great.

This is where the American Ambassador lives. I'll be phoning ahead next time so I can stay here. It probably has secure parking

Irish Whitehouse

This is an old army barracks that is now a museum.

Lots of interesting guns. This one must have been super accurate.

I might have to borrow this if I don't get Katy back soon.

This is from a B29 from WWII

Guns from the rebellion in 1916. Most of them came from Germany.

This is the Gun-runner boat that brought most of the guns in. Apparently she was fast.

I learned a lot today. Like Ireland invaded Canada. Really Canada?

And the Irish military liked to wear pajamas.

"Get out of bed.. time to fight!" This guy was bare feet and all.

Very cool navigation device.

Dueling pistols. The original Duel-sport?

Early coin mint.

Lots of silver stuff.

I'll be going here soon I think. It is true what they say. The Guinness does taste better in Ireland.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #559
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,050
As my grand-daddy used to say.....

...keep your chin up! We're all pullin' for you, Noah!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #560
Czechie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
The campsite.

Dinner: Broccoli and cheese rice.. with extra sharp cheddar added. Just because.

Looks like a very fine way of dinning . In the Czech Republic we very much like Becherovka but not with Broccoli and cheese rice . Good on you buddy. Good luck.
Czechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #561
MidLifeBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wow...

I am new to this sport and new to this site. I cant tell you how bad I felt for you when I heard your bike was ganked, but I have to admit for a newbie coming in to this, the response you got was amazing. I can't believe this group on here, blows my mind. Good luck in the rest of your travels, hope all goes well from here on out for you.
MidLifeBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #562
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeBiker View Post
I am new to this sport and new to this site. I cant tell you how bad I felt for you when I heard your bike was ganked, but I have to admit for a newbie coming in to this, the response you got was amazing. I can't believe this group on here, blows my mind. Good luck in the rest of your travels, hope all goes well from here on out for you.
Thanks. Yes, the community is amazing. Welcome to your new favorite distraction. I'll see you in some foreign country in a year when wonderlust takes over and you get "the bug".
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #563
Appa x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Noah, it blows my mind to see how you are handling this whole situation...many of us would be looking to board the next plane for home. I envy your determination and fortitude. Keep it up, we all want to see this trip through to the end!!!
Appa x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #564
MidLifeBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Yeah...

Yeah, reading your RR has already given me the bug. But...with two kids and a wife I think I will have to stay a bit closer to home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Thanks. Yes, the community is amazing. Welcome to your new favorite distraction. I'll see you in some foreign country in a year when wonderlust takes over and you get "the bug".
MidLifeBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #565
fastlane1
Catching up with my past

Oddometer: 80
Geez Noah, sorry to get this news. I just got back from a 3 day ride with 130 inmates to see this. I signed the front of your bike -BRITISH COLUMBIA- when we met on the ferry and I'm counting on that going the distance with you.

I remember going into that shop in Lillooet with you and you not worrying about locking your bike there - too much care free Minnesota attitude while I have built in South African security paranoia DNA
I've had bad sh1t happen to me too and I agree with a previous post... you will look back on this one day as a part of what you took on, another crooked step in your world adventure and a crazy, unexpected and also good chapter in your life. Look at all the good new people you are meeting right now JUST because of this loss. So here's the thing - your trip will now be completely different to how it would have been just because of these changed plans etc etc -even if you do get Miss Katoom back. You'll stay longer in Ireland than planned, be on a different ferry when you leave where you meet an amazing woman and end up with better inlaws than the ones you might have had if your bike wasn't stolen
It's a huge PITA right now but we are all rooting for you.

So take all the positive out of this and you will be smiling a LOT one day!
Lane
fastlane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #566
kidcallahan
Dempter or Bust

Oddometer: 81
What!!!!!!!!

Honestly who steals a mans bike!? Especially a hardened adventure bike. It's obviously your only major possession. What a son of a bitch! I'd probably lose it if I came out and found my bike missing. And I mean lose it in the "check him into the nut house" kinda way. What a shitty way to start the European leg of the trip. I hope this doesn't end the trip for you, and I'm sure you can find a decent bike a bit of cash. Might mean forgoing some of the drinking on the rest of the trip.

Good luck and I'll be checking on ya regularly.
kidcallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #567
Luckies_AUT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hi Noah!
Today I read what happend to you and I'm really sad about that. We met a lot of great people and had a fantastic time in the US. Now it would be a pleasure to help one of them who's in need. Please feel free to contact and count on me if I can do something for you. I hope this won't be the end of your trip and if you can made it to Vienna, let me know. ;)
Luckies_AUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #568
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,757
Noah,

Just got my weekly update and realized that you've had misfortune......Good Luck with this setback......Stay calm and carry on as my British friends advise......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #569
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Noah,

Just found your RR and caught up now. It's ironic that two pages PRIOR to your bike being stolen I saw it listed on my friends FB page. The bike looked familiar but you had hard cases. That's when I read the next page about the GL and saw the pictures...

About locks. I had my XR650R attempted to be stolen in Guadalajara this past winter. I was on the edge of downtown and a shady area. The thing is the bike was parked on the street, covered and cabled locked through frame, wheels, and around a concrete park bench. They tried to smash the lock after failing to cut the cable....

Point is, it'll happen anywhere. My guess it's not going to be the first time you run into this. I think the disk lock that's an alarm might help but as mentioned, they can get through anything easily if prepared.

You are taking this very well. I hope the bike is returned! I hate how dishonest some people can be.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #570
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Thanks for the support guys. I will probably continue south tomorrow after figuring out a few things with insurance.

Peter Bookey who owns Aaron Rider Training here in Dublin has given me a place to sleep, food, drinks and he is letting me borrow a KTM 640 adventure for the next week so I can see Ireland rather then sit around and feel sorry for myself. I'll be buying him a few pints.