Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #571
derideon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hey Noah just caught up on your tread today.Traveling vicariously through you is even better after having met you but it seems it also hurts even more when things go astray.My daughter's really hoping her Alberta signature can continue it's trip RTW with you.How ever it turns out we know you can make the best of it and continue to enjoy and experience the world and it's people.Or most of them!!We're with you all the way.
derideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #572
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Peter Bookey who owns Aaron Rider Training here in Dublin has given me a place to sleep, food, drinks and he is letting me borrow a KTM 640 adventure for the next week so I can see Ireland rather then sit around and feel sorry for myself. I'll be buying him a few pints.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #573
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Thanks for the support guys. I will probably continue south tomorrow after figuring out a few things with insurance.

Peter Bookey who owns Aaron Rider Training here in Dublin has given me a place to sleep, food, drinks and he is letting me borrow a KTM 640 adventure for the next week so I can see Ireland rather then sit around and feel sorry for myself. I'll be buying him a few pints.
Now that's more like it!!!! Have fun!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #574
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Cry Good Idea! Sorry For the LOSS

It will take your mind off of everything that's happened - hope you get Katy back!
My daughter says she will "give them karate chops" for you if the basterds are found.
Thanks for the pics and taking us all along. Best of luck Noah!
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #575
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Thanks for the support guys. I will probably continue south tomorrow after figuring out a few things with insurance.

Road magic. Quite a generous guy in my book. If I ever meet him, I'll buy him pints too.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #576
klimag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Ktm

The solution should come from KTM. If I would be their marketing boss ........but I'm not. To finish this RTW with their support (rent a 690 for free or similar deal ) would be better advertisement than many traditional marketing tool.
On their home page there is only media kontakt to write - if someone here knows concrete people there on hihgher level we can do a try to explain/convince.
klimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #577
Supergringo
Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer: 132
Good luck mate! Really unfortunate speed bump.

Best from another Minnesotan!
Supergringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #578
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Silly ideas for next time

This wouldn't have helped your particular situation Noah but on a trip I recently did thru SE Asia I camped in a hammock quite a bit of the time.
I'm sure there are guys who could roll my bike away without waking me so I tied fishing line from the footpeg to a stack of bottles nearby which was enough to wake me.

2 nights ago I parked at a hotel that advertised 24 hour security. I wish I got a picture but the security gaurd was sleeping sound as a baby, snoring with head back while leaning back in a chair against the hotel wall next to my bike. The bottle trick probably would have been good there too as it might have woken him up.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #579
mustakimqz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Praying for its recovery

Hey Noah,

Sorry to hear what happened and I'm praying for its recovery so that you can continue your journey soon man.
mustakimqz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #580
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimag View Post
The solution should come from KTM. If I would be their marketing boss ........but I'm not. To finish this RTW with their support (rent a 690 for free or similar deal ) would be better advertisement than many traditional marketing tool.
On their home page there is only media kontakt to write - if someone here knows concrete people there on hihgher level we can do a try to explain/convince.

Maybe this could alleviate their general consensus that the 690 isn't reliable. Much of that came from Fishfund's adventure through Africa. To the best of my knowledge KTM did nothing in that regard too.

The problem is once anything was accepted there would be rules. One of which saying anything bad about the bike, etc. If I were in this situation I'd love it, but I don't know if I could be refrained from saying my actual feelings about the bike.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #581
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Hello Noah!

I have not read now all those last pages since I figured out that your bike was stolen in Dublin. Man, this sucks! And I really hope that there is a way to get you on the road again.

When you come then to Sweden (See, I don't write "if"! ) I would be glad to offer you accomodation for a night or two at my place in the north of Stockholm. Whenever you are around, send me a mail a few days ahead and we will arrange something. I have one week of vacation in September (I think it's 10-16. Sept) when I will be out with the bike myself, but that can hopefully be handled flexible.

Keeping both thumps pressed hardly that you are soon rolling again!

Best regards from Stockholm / Sweden
Kai-Uwe / nordicbiker
Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #582
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,508
Noah, I guess my post on Friday was overly optimistic, I had the impression it had been found and would soon be recovered.

From your other thread KTM 690 stolen in Dublin obviously this is not the case if you are looking for another bike. I'm so bummed for you but hey when you are old with grandkids this will make another memory you'll never forget, right? DAMHIK

At least you didn't get shot or stabbed in the process, just a victim of not knowing a particular neighborhood where an especially large group of scumbags frequent. It could have happened to any of us in the same situation.

Ride safe, ADV is a living breathing organism of brothers and sisters and we are all behind you!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #583
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,360
Noah, man, this really sucks balls. I feel for you, she was a beauty!

Love the positive attitude though, I've always liked the saying that as long as you can solve it with money, it's not really a problem.

The UK is a good place to pick up cheap used bikes. As heavy as that damn Tenere is, it's probably the best out-of-the-box adventure bike right now. You should be able to pick one up for $5k easily, and you can then sell it for more than that as a collectors item when you come back to the US...

Otherwise, from reading your post I assume you have been in touch with Luke and John at Rally Raid about that US plate 690?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #584
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,863
Sounds like you could use a "bait" bike to park in the same location and see if you can get the rats to come out again..
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #585
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
In addtition to my previous post earlier today, I would like you to consider another option!

- if the trip around the world is the main thing for you and you don't mind so much how you get around
- if you now can't afford a new motorcycle, but want to travel even cheaper
- if time is not your problem and you are willing to shorten down your route a bit

then why don't you consider continuing on a bicyle? Seriously, I am not joking, have have months of experiece from several long distance bike trips some years ago. Nothing of THAT scale, but travelling by bicyle is maybe THE best way to get around. You can't cover that much distance in a given time, but when any kinds of problems come up it's much easier to solve them if you don't need to take care of those 200kg of motorcycle!

A guy on a BMW told me (on the bicylce) several years ago, when I was jealously looking at his machine: "This is teh second worst way to get around Iceland. I am getting as wet as you, but I am continuously freezing. Deep water crossings are a problem, when you can just carry your bike through. And you don't have any problems with fuel...!" He had some other good arguments, but I really exploded in laughter when I heard is answer what is THE worst way to travel trough Iceland: "Walking on you hands!"

And that man was right! Consider a bicyle! Seriously! Fitness comes within a few weeks!

If this is not an option for you: I am currently working on an alternative, including a local KTM dealer here in Sweden, whom I just send an email. I don't tell you more because this was just another silly idea! More maybe tomorrow!