Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #616
NZ Adventure
Another Fricken Newbie!!!

Oddometer: 42
This is why I am glad I left the UK. What possesses people to steal from a traveller? Very sad and I think you have the right attitude that this will just be one of the memories/stories to tell of your trip. As long as you are insured and they pay out quickly then great, but I know when you embark on such a journey the bike is like a child and seeing something that has kept you in and out of trouble taken from you must hurt.

I do hope the press coverage raises the profile and returns you the bike.

When you finally get to NZ then please let me know, I have somewhere for you to stay (very secure I promise!!) and a guide of the North Island, Although I ride a Tenere 660. :-)

Good luck and look forward to you continuing your journey.
NZ Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #617
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,679
.......how the 640 treating you?? You'll never, ever forget this and that is raw, but nice. Hope you're doing well!!!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #618
Digger Deep
Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer: 202
I'm home in Ireland on holidays. Just went back to this thread and found out you're here and your bike was stolen. What a shitty thing to happen. I actually passed through Dublin the day that happened, I was taking a trip round Ireland on my bike. I am really sickened to see your trip being messed up like this in a country that was once renowned for its welcome to foreigners.
Digger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #619
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger Deep View Post
I'm home in Ireland on holidays. Just went back to this thread and found out you're here and your bike was stolen. What a shitty thing to happen. I actually passed through Dublin the day that happened, I was taking a trip round Ireland on my bike. I am really sickened to see your trip being messed up like this in a country that was once renowned for its welcome to foreigners.
Still is. Can't legislate for the scum who atoll the bike. Am in Barcelona at the minute and I wouldn't bunch everyone as a pick pocket. Just a shame no one told Noah that Talbot street is a bit if a shite hole.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #620
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Noah sad to hear, but sounds like U have a great attitude about it.

Fcuking Irish Thieves cut their little wankers off

I ked, I ked, go easy Ireland

Good on the moto community for stepping up to help

Travel on my friend

(BTW - I just shipped a gun to U, shoot 1st, then run em over)
It might just be foreigners that have stolen the bike and not Irish as Dublin is apparently full of every culture from all over the world and some no doubt involved in organised crime.I would love to see Noah get his bike returned.
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #621
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,176
i remember reading that back in the day, the IRA had some penalties for certain crimes.... one was a couple of rounds in the knees.... worse crime was a round in the lower back.... just sayin'.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #622
Aidan1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
A little bit of good news

Paul BHT, the owner of UKGser at short notice set up a fund so that site members could put some cash Noah's way. The result of which was that he met Noah today in England and handed over 700 ($1099 US) to help him on his way.

Hopefully it will leave Noah with a slightly better opinion of our country.

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.
Aidan1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #623
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,865
Great stuff.
Well done on the fund raiser.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #624
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Hey Noah

Sorry to hear your bike got pinched, but wow, what an awesome story, and what an awesome community this is! When you find yourself in Singapore, give us a shout. I ride a KTM250XC and Tiger 800XC and would be happy to show around the Malaysia/Singapore area.

You mentioned in one of your posts you felt weird about accepting charity...I would too, but heres the way I see it: You write these trip reports, and we all get to live vicariously through you; you are actually doing what most of us just dream about . People pay to read a book or go to the movies for the same reason, why not pay to read your posts, particulary in a time of need?

Pete
motomuppet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #625
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Great biking spirit. Now crack on with the RWT and enjoy.
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #626
Luckies_AUT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Great news!!
Luckies_AUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #627
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
I still hope Noah gets his bike back, but in the grand scheme of things, he has arguably gotten something more valuable in return. He is gaining perspective on people (both good and bad) and the way in which they "compete" with one another for the sake of creating a world they want.

The experiences he has had in this is something that will change his perspective, and I think that is one thing adventure gives all of us.

If you dont get that KTM back Noah, I hope you get a bike even better to replace it with!
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #628
NCK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I still hope Noah gets his bike back, but in the grand scheme of things, he has arguably gotten something more valuable in return. He is gaining perspective on people (both good and bad) and the way in which they "compete" with one another for the sake of creating a world they want.

The experiences he has had in this is something that will change his perspective, and I think that is one thing adventure gives all of us.

If you dont get that KTM back Noah, I hope you get a bike even better to replace it with!
I really love all the positive energy that's come Noah's way since his bike was stolen. You folks are great, wonderful and positive people. Especially the fund, raising over a grand to keep him moving. Just awesome, I love this forum and the people who support each other on here.

That said, as I've read the pages of joy that have come about after it's been figured out where he's gonig to buy a new bike, I don't want us to lose sight of what I still understand to be accurate: He's out at least $15,000 + cost of the new bike he's buying. That money that's simply just gone. As wonderful as the developments have been and great as this community is, I know that if that happened (or happens) to me during my trip, it would just about end my trip. ($15k is a third of my total trip budget!). That reality remains, at least in my mind, a bit heartbreaking, and I hope we don't lose sight of it becuase it's not like just because he found another bike, all is made okay again.

Anyway brother: Onward and upward. There is simply no other direction to go. 'Get busy living, or get busy dying'. More power to everyone for their positivity. Yahoo, and keep it up.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #629
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Well, I don't have my 690 back but it looks like I will be buying Fishfund's 690 that went from South Africa to London. Its got a few more miles then mine did but its got american registration so that will be way easier.

Getting excited to get back on the road!
Cool - best of luck. You might bring a spare voltage regulator....
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #630
gnuse
Ride to Fly

Oddometer: 271
I suspect Noah is intelligent enough to realize that this isn't about Dublin or Ireland, but one or a few bad people that might be found anywhere.

Proof of that is the support as headed by Paul to help Noah continue. This will be difficult, but I get the feeling that this is going move forward.

Thank you for allowing us to tag along.