Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #811
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I love the feedback. Thank you all for following. It keeps me wanting to post more when I know people are reading it...

Cheers!
I feel a long winter coming on. Looking forward to your reports from warmer climes. Keep it up Noah.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #812
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,701
Thanks for the update, Noah!! You look like you're really enjoying life!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #813
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
You are kidding right? I stopped taking my 690 to the shop and I do all the work myself now. I am under the impression that people flog/neglect their 690 and don't know how to keep any bike running. I have had noting but good times from my 690 and I care for her like she is a child. I took precautions to replace/upgrade the parts that were a problem for others. The only other bike out there that would have worked for me was the Yamaha Tenere 660.. but we cant get that in North America.
You can get a Tenere in Mexico still part of NA. I'd go DR650 more reliable, lighter and very simple, but to each his own, carry, fuel pumps and injectors.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #814
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
You are kidding right? I stopped taking my 690 to the shop and I do all the work myself now. I am under the impression that people flog/neglect their 690 and don't know how to keep any bike running. I have had noting but good times from my 690 and I care for her like she is a child. I took precautions to replace/upgrade the parts that were a problem for others. The only other bike out there that would have worked for me was the Yamaha Tenere 660.. but we cant get that in North America.
Right on Noah! You are blessed with knowing "The KTM Way"! You obviously are doing things right ... and paying close attention. In contrast you're temp donor bike (Fish Fund Luke) does not have such an impressive resume'. (yes, read his Africa report!! ) You have to admit, that report would put anyone off a 690 ... or a BMW R800GS.

So was it bad luck ... bad maintenance ... or bad bikes? I'd guess a little bit of all that.

I'm glad you're back on your own bike. You can't beat Good Karma (and good maintenance!)
Keep on keepin on!

I did two major tours round France (six weeks each) ... one of my fav places worldwide! Loved the bakeries ... mmmm ... warm Croissant!

Did you know France has 5 times as many registered bikes as the UK? I went to two French bike rallies. P A R T Y !!! Amazing and Americans were welcomed with open arms.

Good luck, stay safe ... and keep your eye (and ear ...) on that bullet proof KTM!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #815
fastlane1
Catching up with my past

Oddometer: 77
Thumb

Lukes bike is NOT a temp loner bike - it is Noahs ride - (for now ). It gave Luke major headaches throughout Africa but that fault was fixed. Noah is riding a very well travelled bike with an amazing history. Sadly Noahs original bikes fairing is lost in Ireland somewhere - for now . Nothing surprises me on this ride - only one thing is for certain... everything is changing.
Noah - can you confirm that your original bike is now in storage in the UK at Rally Raid (to be used as a parts donor maybe?)
A lot has happened since we rode together in BC in May - ride safe (by the way, I bought the Sony NEX-5N after playing with yours! Very fun camera )
fastlane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #816
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Sorry, my mistake ... I thought he switched back to his own (original) KTM 690. Hope it goes well which ever one he ends up on!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #817
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
Well he does need to keep posting beautiful young ladies with his bike. That's for sure.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #818
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane1 View Post
Lukes bike is NOT a temp loner bike - it is Noahs ride - (for now ). It gave Luke major headaches throughout Africa but that fault was fixed. Noah is riding a very well travelled bike with an amazing history. Sadly Noahs original bikes fairing is lost in Ireland somewhere - for now . Nothing surprises me on this ride - only one thing is for certain... everything is changing.
Noah - can you confirm that your original bike is now in storage in the UK at Rally Raid (to be used as a parts donor maybe?)
A lot has happened since we rode together in BC in May - ride safe (by the way, I bought the Sony NEX-5N after playing with yours! Very fun camera )
Lane is correct. I own Fishfund's bike now. It is well sorted and shouldn't give me any problems (that i can't fix). I almost feel like I HAVE to take this bike around the world to change the opinions of those who followed Fishfund and the issues he was having. So far she has been a dream to ride. I just put the stock air box back on instead of the Unifilter on the intake. I will let you know how my mileage increases after I uploaded a less-radical fuel map. I don't need all the power. But I was getting 20% less fuel mileage on fishfund's bike then on my old one. For how many miles I plan on doing, 20% will be lots of $$$$$$$ and possibly being stranded because of not enough fuel to cover the distance. No thanks.

As for Katy M (the 2012 R), She is getting sold to Peter in Ireland who helped me out when I was there. He really wanted a 690 and when mine was found, I thought he would be a good person to have it. The import tax is ridiculous but It will still be cheaper then buying a bike and setting it up.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #819
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I feel a long winter coming on. Looking forward to your reports from warmer climes. Keep it up Noah.
I plan on spending 3 or 4 months in Georgia snowboarding.... So I am not sure what will happen to the "ride" report.. it might take the form of a ski report.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #820
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
I plan on spending 3 or 4 months in Georgia snowboarding.... So I am not sure what will happen to the "ride" report.. it might take the form of a ski report.
As long as you keep posting pictures of beautiful women with your board/bike/beer glass... who cares!? Might be interesting to have a snow bunny report on ADV..

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #821
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Been with you from the get go. This is the only RR I get a daily update on. I just don't comment much. Then I saw your post about people following along, inspiring you... Keep it up! This is outstanding.. I'm sure there's a bunch of us here every morning.. Looking for your next post.
I read RRs with all makes of bikes. It's the Adventure...............
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #822
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
Might be interesting to have a snow bunny report on ADV..
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #823
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
Noah a snowboard report would be fine. Anything to breath a little life in to an ordinary day for the working man would be great
My son loved the pictures of the trenches thanks.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #824
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,383
Enjoying the report.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #825
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote: