Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
redneckdan OP
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 576
Lets do a cheap ass 9:1, just the haul system. This would be a stacked z-rig, a 3:1 pulling on a 3:1

100' 4mm static- $20, cheaper if you use 550 cord
4 Carabiners- $20 if yo go with climb spec ebay preowned

And that is it. Realistically friction losses on the carabiners cut this 9:1 down to about 6 or 7:1 Stacking the z rigs usually requires rope grabs, instead of a grab or prussik use a slip loop in the rope. More of a pain to re-position but cheap and light. If you want to be a big spender pay another $4 each for 4 of the petzel UHMW 'biner pulleys. The 4 'biners could be used for clipping camping stuff together and the rope used to tie stuff to the bike when not needed for hauling.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
fast*st
Dirt rookie.

Oddometer: 155
I used much the same, I found 2 small double sheave pulleys to get a 4:1 ma. I also had a really nice and sharp plumb camp axe for making an improvised ground anchor, An additional sheave could be whipped up using one of the biners that are tied in with the rope. Also had one larger sheave pulley and a quick french prussik, think rope ratchet. Luckily, I've not had to apply it in the wilderness. Though did use a birch sapling and stainless tie wire to shore up a bent rear subframe.

Numerous Honda V4s
89 NX650, CB700SC, CR500
IBA 31407, MSF-retired, STOC 1318.
fast*st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Robert^
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Can you document a technique to use when natural anchors aren't handy. For instance, is it possible to push someone else's bike over and use it as an anchor? Since the pull needs to be directional, I think it would be great to make sure the other bike is in the proper location before it is pushed over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
Any questions?
Robert^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #19
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert^ View Post
Can you document a technique to use when natural anchors aren't handy. For instance, is it possible to push someone else's bike over and use it as an anchor? Since the pull needs to be directional, I think it would be great to make sure the other bike is in the proper location before it is pushed over.
I think I would employ the owner of that other bike to help lift before I used the bike as an anchor.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #20
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
I think I would employ the owner of that other bike to help lift before I used the bike as an anchor.
That would make way too much sense.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #21
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Redneckdan - good info. Z drag is useful to know. Many people are focusing on your example, rather than what they could learn from it.

Multiplying the force lets you move heavy sh*t. One doesn't need expensive climbing gear, just a couple carabiners or pulleys and some rope.

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Check these videos out, bike wasn't flat though. Ian, Iowa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5k4U...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Er4...eature=related
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
jestre
BanditRider

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbh View Post
Those go along with my first thought. grab left side of bar, pull to bike, pull backwards.
jestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 563
This Sporty was:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPy...eature=related
Works the same way. If this looks like too much work I would carry a cheap "come-along" with a steel cable.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,159
I have used two 15 foot one inch ratchet straps from NIT.They have a 1200lb working load capacity,IIRC.They roll up into a ball about the size of a soft ball.I carry then just in case I need a repair ride.I run one from the side that's on the ground to a tree or solid object on the other side of the bike.If I need more length,I use the second strap.It rolls the bike upright far enough I can finish standing it up and securing it from another dirt nap.

1 inch 15 foot Rachet Straps
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 893
Wicked

If you have a small shovel you can dig holes or a trench for the wheels then the lifting part is easy, you will be warmer and slightly stuck.
Not sayin the z drag is a bad thing just that there are options.
If I had a stick strong enough for a directional I would just tie it to the
Bike and use it has a handle/lever.

Mike Ryder screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 08:28 PM Reason: Verbage
Mike Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
redneckdan OP
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 576
Quote:

I'll put that on my list of stuff to do.

If you are trying to lift another bike I would say take the 2nd bike, put it on the side stand, then have your buddy lean agaist the bike in the direction of the side stand. Hook low on the 2nd bike, on the side opposite the side stand. The net effect is your buddy is using the body of the bike as a lever and his force/bike weight as the force counteracting the pull from the haul system. This would function kind of like the old shovel trick 4wd guys sometimes use for a winch anchor.

If you are trying to haul another bike out of a ravine or some such thing, i would imagine the best bet would be the sand filled saddle bags I had mentioned earlier. I would think a bike would tend to slide on anything except fairly deep sand. Experimentation will tell though.

If you have small shrubs or tall grass round that will work too. Use 550 cord and make a slip loop in each end. Grab a hank of grass, slip the loop over and tighten, repeat with the other end. Make 2 or 3 of these anchors then network them together. They are surprisingly strong.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #28
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Man you guys are fancy. I buy tubular nylon strap, and 2 or more anchor shackles, available at Lowes, HD, WalMart etc. I keep it all in a ziplock bag. Used it twice. Example setup. More shackles = more purchase, more line required.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #29
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Suppose no other bike and no other anchor?

Take wheel off crippled bike. Bury it. use as anchor. Lotta digging but a decent entrenching tool can make short work of it. if you hit a lot of rocks then you use them as an anchor.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote