Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Nit: Its an FJ Fury, the navalized version of the Sabre.

Nice bike.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #17
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Welcome to the Rat ninja world

The SAR forum has a plethora of builds for ex650 based bikes...
"SAR" is sanjoh speak for "Some Assembly Required" an ADV subsection of the forum. you're going to need a suspension under that 650R and there are plenty of ideas on how to go about it in the Ninja builds, also ways to address the peg location.

there is a very well executed standard ride height 650R build included, but the gal rider is a foot shorter and over 100# lighter than you.

you can start reading here, but there's even more on the forum, and more builds on the way-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632255

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319441

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736687

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608309

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562633

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654184

and a Versys here-

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644390
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Cool looking bike. How is that front tire performing?
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
Cool looking bike. How is that front tire performing?
Great, so far! It's noisy and vibrates pretty badly at low speed, like rolling up to a stop, but over about 15mph I can't tell it from a street tire. It was very twitchy in gravel this past weekend, but I'm gonna attribute most of that to the Ninja's steering head angle. That could stand some serious relaxing!

Thanks for all the links, JD! That should help keep me from accomplishing anything for at least a few days.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2976636672.html

Hell of a deal for as long as it lasts.

edit: copy of the ad for when it's gone:
Quote:
2006 ER6F (ninja 650r) - $1700 (Mira Mesa)
Selling my 2006 650r. Bike has been modified in that the fairings are gone. No not dropped or crashed just made it a street fighter. Title in hand and is CA legal. Texas registration. Koso speedo, pro taper bars, renthal grips, muzzy exhaust, buell headlight, new Bridgestone bt016, clear alternatives tail light, extra rear indicators to keep cops off your back, galfer steel brake lines with red banjos to match the bike. This bike is your everyday rider. I've owned her since new and the bike has always started for me. Oil changes every 3k and has bmc air cleaner.

Now, what the bike needs... Couple small chips on tank from Texas transport, and she needs a new chain since she has been sitting for about two months. I start her every other day and still runs well. She's not a looker, but she's unique.

Selling because I'm retiring from motorcycling.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Selling because I'm retiring from motorcycling.
Man, that's grim. Sorta like retiring from solid food or something.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Nice ride!!! I'm another guy working on a dual sport ninja who is also big (6'2" 220lbs) and did not like where the pegs are located. So changed to the versys. Its a lot better but still cramped for me but you can stand up. Check out JD rocks threads his bikes have been put to the test and for the most part the way i'm going.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

I notice that the more mileage I put on the bike, the looser my legs seem to get and the cramped position isn't that much of an issue. I'm hoping this trend continues and we reach some kind of agreement. I'll probably always be convinced the KTM 950 Adventure is about the perfect motorcycle for me but without a garage, the Ninja's FAR more suitable. See? No bike is going to be perfect. I'm glad I've found one that seems to fit nicely into most of the roles I ask a bike to fill.

I got to try it in the rain today and while it wasn't a downpour, I loved the ride. The rainsuit helped (okay, the rainsuit was awesome!) and I ended up taking a much longer route home than was needed to sample both interstate and surface road travel. The Kenda Big Blocks are proving to be a really sticky street tire, in spite of their inherent squirminess. I'm getting my chicken strips down to almost nothing and felt no loss of traction in the rain, although I was clearly not pushing it as hard as I would've with dry conditions.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #24
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

The Kenda Big Blocks seem to be fine tires, but are wearing at an almost unbelievable rate. I'm going with the Shinko 705 next, which is the tire recommended by the PO and the one he was planning to try next. The supposedly wear MUCH better than the Kenda and are called a 75/25 tire by the manufacturer, which is more inline with the surfaces I'm currently riding.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #25
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
I have two sets of wheels and tires for my dual sport Ninja. Big blocks and street tires. The Ninja wheels are cheap on e bay. The back wheel is real cheep i paid $ 49 plus shipping and it had the rotor, sprocket and tire that had 2200 miles on them.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #26
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

I rode the Ninja down into central Kentucky on Saturday to visit my mom and oldest daughter and her family. Although the forecast was threatening rain and thunderstorms, it turned out to be a beautiful day and the storms didn't roll in until after dark. Total mileage was ~250 with fuel economy in the low forties.

This was my first shot of the day, sitting at the gas station just a few hundred yards from the house. Clear skies and dew still on the tank:

On the road between Elizabethtown and Hodgenville. I like this particular stretch because it reminds me of the Great Plains. I'll stop here later in the summer and wait for a long break in the traffic, which is fairly common on this road, and listen to nothing but the wind and the bugs whirring and chirping in the fields:

Entering Taylor County, where most of my remaining family still lives:

On the edge of Marion County, heading back home. I lived in Taylor County and worked in Marion County for many years, and often commuted along this road. They've built a wide, straight road connecting the two county seats, but I like this one better:

I was married in this little country church, years ago and in a past life:

The goldenrod are in bloom, in case you didn't guess. The state flower of Kentucky, many here know them only as one of nature's more effective allergens:

ghostdncr screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 05:46 AM
Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #27
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #28
KYMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Here I was thinking I should run up to Louisville some time to see this thing, and you drove through my backyard over the weekend!
KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I showed some pics of the dirty ninja to some buddies at work. They all thought it was great and got a good laugh out of it. Hope you have a lot of fun on it.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Hey ghostdncer, when you were at the lake/gravel road at the clark state forest, you were 3 miles by road from my house (1 mile as the crow flies). i hate that little gravel road, I was on it last Sunday and I hate those big round rocks, feels like marbles under the tires. I much prefer finer gravel. All those yahoos on horseback, very common around that lake, there is a horse trail around the lake which goes directly to the horseman camp. When you came off the big hill, instead of taking a right on gravel, a left takes you to the shooting range (lots of noise on Saturdays)-dead ends at the range and another lake back there.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote