Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
Yup, under construction.
Will be doing that this week.

Thanks
How many miles? If you are around 30k, consider the Facet pump upgrade, which adds a filter before the pump and can help keep crap out of your carbs. The left tank should have a small screen. Mine's broken off. Sometimes I see it floating when I fill up.

Does the bike still have SAS and other emission stuff? That usually will cause a bog down at around 3K RPMs, but it's not as severe as what you describe.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #17
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Could it be contaminated fuel?

Maybe drain the carbs and pump some fuel out of the bottom of the tank via the fuel pump.
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #18
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRupert View Post
Could it be contaminated fuel?

Maybe drain the carbs and pump some fuel out of the bottom of the tank via the fuel pump.
I have some 34,000 miles on the bike.

As far as fuel contamination, I don't believe so, my Wife's 06 BMW 650 gs was not effected what so ever.
We'll see.
The bikes going to get a GOOD looking over anyway.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
I have some 34,000 miles on the bike.

As far as fuel contamination, I don't believe so, my Wife's 06 BMW 650 gs was not effected what so ever.
We'll see.
The bikes going to get a GOOD looking over anyway.
At 34K, your stock fuel pump points are probably about burned up. It could just be pumping poorly before it dies.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 908
Facet 40171

Quote:
Mr Beans is the better of all options out there?
I kind of like the Mikuni type because it's just like a snowmobile and
they are VERY simple, I like simple.
Jeff, I have had very good results with Facet 40171
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...mps_index.html

I got mine from http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...facetpumps.php. Its $50 + $5 filter.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,731
If upgrading your fuel pump...

you should consider Dr Bean solution.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...650046&page=15
Cheers
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
ElChico
East Yorks

Oddometer: 83
You seem to be hooked up on fuel pumps..

My 950 is at 72,000 miles and I hardly know where the fule pump is... never touched it. It seems to me that there's a paranoia amongst some people.
In terms of the fault here - mine was missing at @ 2000 rpm steady - it was the rear carb - needed the jubillee clip tightening up a bit and a re-balance of the carbs.
The fault described though sounds like carb icing perhaps, I have had that quite often in the UK - and not always when it's very cold. If the engine goes onto one pot then dies out, and after 10 - 15 mins is OK again it's carb icing. In chilly/damp air I have found that you have to warm the engine up longer to get it hotter and to avoid a long spell of fast speeds and then very steady - 30 mph - you have to keep it varied.
You can buy anti-icing additives but they are expensive... modern fuels are part of the problem, they're shit!

Hope this helps
Ta
Col
ElChico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChico View Post
My 950 is at 72,000 miles and I hardly know where the fule pump is... never touched it. It seems to me that there's a paranoia amongst some people.
In terms of the fault here - mine was missing at @ 2000 rpm steady - it was the rear carb - needed the jubillee clip tightening up a bit and a re-balance of the carbs.
The fault described though sounds like carb icing perhaps, I have had that quite often in the UK - and not always when it's very cold. If the engine goes onto one pot then dies out, and after 10 - 15 mins is OK again it's carb icing. In chilly/damp air I have found that you have to warm the engine up longer to get it hotter and to avoid a long spell of fast speeds and then very steady - 30 mph - you have to keep it varied.
You can buy anti-icing additives but they are expensive... modern fuels are part of the problem, they're shit!

Hope this helps
Ta
Col
I doubt it was an icing issue because it was in the mid 50s and the fuel we have here is ethenol rich. I wish it were the good stuff like yesteryear.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
Gasit
A road less traveled

Oddometer: 250
I had a similar thing myn was just getting sluggish I only really noticed it after swapping bikes with another mate and i replaced the fuel pump and it was awsome the difference it made.
Interesting to read that taking the pollution gear off gives more power I will have to look into that

Gasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #25
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
I have had a similar problem since returning from USA,bike in shipping for a month and like a tw@t,i didn't run the carbs dry beforehand. I also had to rebuild the engine due to gear shaft breaking(lost 6th gear).
After rebuild,I rode it and it stumbles at approx 2k revs and then again about 4.5k revs. I have had the carbs on and off more times than i care to remember and have cleaned them and the jets out.

A chat with the dealer has me onto another potential(most likely) fix which is to strip the carbs and get them(carb bodies) in an ultrasonic cleaner because there is a tube which cannot be accessed normally which gets blocked.
I am about to contact a mate who builds race engines to see if his bosses are out of the workshops so i can get mine cleaned out.
Luckily for me,I have a spare set so will get both sets cleaned because I don't want to swap the carbs only to have the same problem yet it could be the same cause since I bought the other carbs off someone and don't know if they were sat on a bench with fuel in.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #26
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK) View Post
I have had a similar problem since returning from USA,bike in shipping for a month and like a tw@t,i didn't run the carbs dry beforehand. I also had to rebuild the engine due to gear shaft breaking(lost 6th gear).
After rebuild,I rode it and it stumbles at approx 2k revs and then again about 4.5k revs. I have had the carbs on and off more times than i care to remember and have cleaned them and the jets out.

A chat with the dealer has me onto another potential(most likely) fix which is to strip the carbs and get them(carb bodies) in an ultrasonic cleaner because there is a tube which cannot be accessed normally which gets blocked.
I am about to contact a mate who builds race engines to see if his bosses are out of the workshops so i can get mine cleaned out.
Luckily for me,I have a spare set so will get both sets cleaned because I don't want to swap the carbs only to have the same problem yet it could be the same cause since I bought the other carbs off someone and don't know if they were sat on a bench with fuel in.
Yuck, I hope I don't have to go theu all that crap.

Let me know how you make out with yours and I'll do the same.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Your fuel pump looks shot. You're going to need to address that very soon. When they start to go they can act very odd, or just die.

I'd start here. I run the Alum filter version on my bikes and this setup works great when you need to run with a tank on the bike for service too, as this will run with either tank on the bike, not just the left side.
This is setup to pull for either tank, leaving your main put cock setup as a fuel tap for camp stoves or what-not.

You didn't touch the carbs, just an oil change, don't add more variables to the mix but pulling stuff apart that was known to work in my opinion.

Good Luck.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
I doubt it was an icing issue because it was in the mid 50s and the fuel we have here is ethenol rich. I wish it were the good stuff like yesteryear.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ethenol! But I hate it in my motors! Checkout http://pure-gas.org/ , download the gps file and only buy the good stuff if you can. Theres also a pretty handy iphone app from them I use all the time. I've rebuilt so many friggin carbs lately because of this stuff its insane! Corn is for drinking, not internal combustion motors! I'm getting 20 more miles to the tank, no issues with tanks melting, and it always cranks right up easy without having to spin it long. 87 octane too, no need for the expensive stuff thats bubbled with butane.

If your bike sat for a while, my moneys on it having a constricted slow jet, probably an ugly deep green and corroded. If it were a fuel pump, and your's looks clean btw, it'd give you problems at differing rpms. My experience with them on the ktm, also on several jap bikes, honda africa twin, kawasaki mule, etc.. all the same pos pump, is that it either works or not independant of any particular fuel flow/rpm. Not to say it isn't the pump, just that imho it seems unlikly.

Barring disassembly and cleaning the carb, I'd recommend cutting the petcock off and running the motor to out as much fuel out of it as possible. After its empty in the bowls, I'd feed the pump with a line stuck into a can of Seafoam. Let it set for a few days, turn it overa few times to stir the stuff around. Then add some ethenol free fuel and see what happens.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChico View Post
My 950 is at 72,000 miles and I hardly know where the fule pump is... never touched it.
Ta
Col
I strongly recommend you get prepared for your fp to fail. They are mechanical and have a life span, its end you have dangerously approached.
Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:

Let me know how you make out with yours and I'll do the same.

Good luck.
My carbs are now clean and built up,just got to build the bike back up tomorrow and test it.

I'll post my findings in this thread when I have done it.

I also found my throttle cable frayed near the carb so put another one on(the one which came with my spare engine/carbs).
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote