Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Cape Disappointment - Starting Out With Two Strikes

SV650 – WeeStrom – 750 Shadow – Cape Disappointment State Park

I started out this ride with two strikes against me

1 – I showed up late for the rendezvous.
2 – I didn’t bring any straps for firewood.

It’s the first overnight ride of the season and I’m not getting off to a good beginning. I hate being the late one. Sorry guys. Slim told me he wanted me to carry wood, yet I showed up unprepared.

To be fair, I really didn’t have any suitable straps available and I figured he would probably have something to use. Slim’s handy that way.

Still, I'm starting out in a deep hole. We'll see how long I last before I get that crucial third strike called against me.

Beach in the Evening - Cape Disappointment

We did a loop from Southworth Wa to Ilwaco Wa, spent the night in a yurt, and made our way back again – sort of. The trip covered lot’s of nice two lane roads, plenty of twisty bits and some great views.

Maps, commentary, and photos to follow…

Hominid screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 09:14 PM
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day One - In Search of Fish Tacos

My route for the day was about 240 miles.
It starts out with a 40 mile ride to the rendezvous point, blasting down I-5 to Tacoma, then west on 16 and over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. The view while crossing the bridge is spectacular as usual.

Federal Way to Cape Disappointment - 243Miles

After strapping the firewood bundle onto the DL650 we’re off.
Slim takes us down nothing but two lane roads all the way from Southworth, through Shelton and Montesano, then on to Westport for Lunch.
We took some roads I had never been on before with nice twisty bits and some great views.

The road from Hood Canal near Twanoe that cuts up to Mason Lake is a ton of fun.
I also got to see my first view of the correctional center in Shelton.
I remember thinking it sure is nice to be on the right side of the fence enjoying the road.
Staying on the good side of the law has its rewards.

Slim clearly planned the route carefully – very nice choice of roads – thanks.
We stop for a break at Schafer State Park along the way and meet a little dog that apparently had suffered a doggy stroke. She was walking kind of sideways, but seemed happy in spite of that.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=Schafer

Schafer State Park
I think Slim is still mad at me – keeping an eye out for that third strike

Because of the route selection we spent most of the ride to Westport almost completely free of interaction with cagers – outstanding.

Time to find lunch

Westport WA

Westport WA
Casual, Yet Stylish

It has been suggested that Eupson’s riding gear has a certain east European military/police flair to it. I’m reminded of the movie Tron for some reason.

We choose the Fish Shack for Lunch – seems like a good idea since they are crowded.

Bennett's Fish Shack – Westport WA

We snag the last remaining table while waiting in line to order. I tell Slim to order the fish tacos for me and I go over to occupy the space. We probably irritated some folks who also had their eyes on that table, but hey, we were cold and tired so we claimed the space aggressively.

Local Flavor at the Fish Shack

Eupson Checking the Weather On His Smart Phone
I’m Thinking of Dubbing Him With the Nickname Legolas
He's Wearing One of the 7 Rings of Power

Crumpled Receipt – the Fish Shack

Fish Tacos?

All three of us ordered the fish tacos. When the food showed up I was wondering “where are the fish tacos?” What we got was a ceasar salad with fish wrap – and there wasn’t a whole lot of fish involved. Now don’t get me wrong; I enjoy a good tortilla wrap occasionally, just not when I’m expecting fish tacos. If I had ordered a salad wrap I would have been happy - but I didn't - and I wasn't. I’m thinking these folks should either change their menu to let you know what you are really getting or they should change this menu item and actually make a decent fish taco.

How hard could it be? They serve cole slaw so I have to assume they have some cabbage back there somewhere?
Combine the following and you have fish tacos people will drive miles to get

Fish – they already have that
Smaller tortillas
Cabbage – apparently they already have that, too
Salsa – you can buy it by the 5 gallon tub if need be
Beans – a bonus, but not required
Chips – offer as an alternative to fries.

Bingo – you have fish tacos – I make them all the time at home – not that tough
I will admit; they have really good fries.

Next post – Cape Disappointment State Park and a Yurt to Sleep in.

Hominid screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:14 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cape Disappointment State Park

It’s a nice run from Westport to Ilwaco with plenty of water and tide flat views.
We come into one small reservation town a bit hot – speed trap – I think I was going 70. Apparently we slowed it down quickly enough to satisfy the tribal patrolman. I’m sure he sees much worse.

I take a little heat for being unprepared. No hard liquor, no ice, not much food – but I had my cooler with chemical ice packets and plans for a six pack and camp food from the grocery in Long Beach. Good to go. Not even close to strike three - that pitch was high and outside.

We land in Yurt spot 80, Cape Disappointment State Park
http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selec...disappointment

Home Away From Home

The yurt has a distinct mildew smell that reminds me of the tent cabin I rented in Teton National Park a few years back. It’s dry and warm, though, with electric light and electric space heater. Good enough and handy for an April night on the Washington coast.

DL650 - In Camp With Infamous Fire Bundle

Eupson and I go down to the beach to take some photos. It’s really a beautiful sight, the surf is up and the sun is almost ready to set. Well worth the chilly ride down here.

Cape Disappointment Driftwood and Lighthouse

Lighthouse

Eupson brought his DSLR for a test drive

Nice Shelter

The pictures don’t do justice to the experience. One of the prettiest beach scenes I’ve ever witnessed.

We return to camp happy as clams, but apparently committed a faux pas.
“You went into a wood rich environment and didn’t bring any back?”
“The thought never came across my mind”, comes the sheepish reply.

Uh-oh. Is that strike three? Nah, that’s only 2.5 if I share it with Eupson.

As it turns out we had plenty of wood - heated up coals and grilled brats and bread. Best meal of the trip, actually – salsa, chips, cheese dip, brats and toasted bread – single male campin’ food.

Still had enough wood afterwards to blaze on until midnight

Next Post – A Called Third Strike

Hominid screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 09:33 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Break Camp - Beach Pictures - Breakfast

Gotta say, the yurt thing made breaking camp and packing up easy even if it wasn’t the greatest experience on an aesthetic level.

Steve takes us down to the jetty for a view and then on to breakfast in Long Beach.

Self Reflection at the Jetty

Done with the Cape Disappointment jetty, we head on to Long Beach for Breakfast.

Benson's gets high marks for service and they serve a decent breakfast. I went with the short stack and sausage, slim the omelet, and Eupson went for a club sammy. All were pretty good as near as I can tell. The pancakes hit the spot for me - well done, but still fluffy.

Long Beach

I Don't Want To Know
Marsh's Museum in Long Beach
more of a tourist trap than museum, but fun to check out - interesting stuff.

Self Reflection in Long Beach

Here is where our paths begin to diverge. I had already mentioned while breaking camp that I might want to go east at some point. I knew it didn’t match up with their plans, but I wanted to see something different on the way home – take my time – stop for photos – just generally dawdle around and I didn’t want to slow them down.

Call it a third strike, if you will.

Next Post – Highway 6 to Chehalis – Vintage Rust Buckets

Hominid screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:24 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 422
Thanks for those seashore pics....I grew up in Port Townsend, and while I've gotten pretty accustomed to "320 days of sunshine" here in CO, I still love the beach. More, please......

wow - that was pretty good...more popped up whilst I was typing.......
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post
Thanks for those seashore pics....I grew up in Port Townsend, and while I've gotten pretty accustomed to "320 days of sunshine" here in CO, I still love the beach. More, please......

wow - that was pretty good...more popped up whilst I was typing.......
I love Port Townsend. In fact, I've thought of buying a house in that area. Beautiful part of the world.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Different Paths

Leaving breakfast in Long Beach I request a stop in South Bend. There’s a convenient public restroom right in the middle of the main drag along the beach and it allows an opportunity to map the way home.

Ilwaco to South Bend

Lots of nice curves and scenery between Long Beach and South Bend. The weather was perfect – not too hot – not too cold. Definitely warmer than Saturday. Once in South Bend it was time to renegotiate.

Slim Needs Java

The Java Man is Closed

Pacific County lost its fair share of good men in WWII
Makes my problems seem small in comparison

Time to part ways. I want to tool east on 6 out of Raymond, the guys want to head north. All is good, I think. We bid farewell.

My path is 6 from Raymond to Chehalis, a short stint on I-5 north, then east again through Tenino, Yelm, McKenna, Roy, then Parkland and 512 to 167 and home. Makes for a 180 mile ride for the day for me - and only a few miles of freeway made for a pleasant tour.

South Bend to Federal Way Via Yelm

Narrow Bridge Along the Way

I flew past a yard with antique cars, motor homes, trailers, bathroom sinks, and other stuff for sale sitting at the front of this quirky property. I had to hang a u-turn and go back to check it out.

When I got back there I met an older guy named Tim poking around the inventory. Most of the cars belong to someone else, but he tells me the ’57 Ranchero is his. I ask him if I can take some pics and he says “sure”. I find myself wondering how he got to where he is today. Interesting fellow. He tells me the best thing there is the hood ornament on the Packard. He’s right.

Buick Straight Eight

Buick

'57 Ranchero

'54 Chev Delivery Panel

Packard

Not Sure - LOL - 49 I think, though

Awesome Hood Ornament

I should have asked him what he wanted for the ornament - Keep the car
I'm not sure that any of these rigs were salvageable

Next Post – Pe Ell, Rainbow Falls State Park, Mexican Dinner in Yelm

Hominid screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 09:48 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pe Ell - Rainbow Falls State Park - Dinner in Yelm

Highway 6 curves through a lot of small ranches, farms and very small towns on the way to Chehalis. I like the scenery.

After checking out the antique cars I tool on to Pe Ell. A small town that has seen better days; as have many small American towns.

Pe Ell

This grocery in the center of town comes in handy

The Town Garage is for sale – looks to have been empty for quite some time

From Pe Ell I move on to Rainbow Falls State Park. I stopped here last summer for a glance and my overall impression was that it was not well maintained. My impression has not changed.

For Example

They are really good at putting up signs, though. You’re pretty much hit in the face with all these signs as you pull in

Not quite a hospitable greeting.

Pay Here - Stop There - Do This - Don't Do That
I might actually consider following all the rules if they kept the place up a little better.

I tool through the day use area and leave unimpressed.

Friendliest thing I saw in Rainbow Falls State Park

Time to run home, nice scenery still to be seen on 6, then a short blast up 5 and east/north on 507 to Yelm. It’s almost 4 by the time I reach Yelm and I’m ready for lunch. The Mariachi Alegre is on the way and has a full parking lot so I pull in. I give this place some good marks and some bad. I’ve tried their Federal Way location. The menu is the same.

http://www.mariachialegre.net/

I order the Pollo con Camarones.

Pollo con Camarones - Served With Tortillas

This place gets good marks on their service and their grilled meats, and the chips are good. Three of the things I judge a Mexican restaurant by are the salsa, the pico de gallo, and most importantly, the guacamole.

The salsa here is not bad, but reminiscent of something in a jar. I prefer bigger chunks.
The pico de gallo just doesn’t work for me – too bland – no punch – no real flavor.
The guacamole seemed like the stuff you get out of a plastic container at the grocery.

Still I leave with a full belly and head for home. Uneventful ride, but for the two obnoxious sport bikers along 7. They pass the car behind me on the shoulder. Then they pass me on the shoulder before passing the cars in front of me in the oncoming traffic lane despite the fact that there is oncoming traffic

The passenger on the back of the trailing bike turns around to flip off the SUV in front of me for having the nerve to honk as the bike is forced to cut in front of him to avoid a head on crash. All because they want to go 85 or 95mph instead of 70 like everyone else on the road in front of them

I rarely wish ill will on others, but I’m thinking it wouldn’t bother me much if these guys bit the pavement

I make it home safe – it sure feels good to take a warm shower.

Next Post – Trip Summary

Hominid screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:44 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trip Summary

It was a nice early season overnight trip.
Thanks to Steve/Slim for instigating the action and for the route planning.
I had fun.

If you’re looking for a twisty scenic drive and great beaches at the end of the day Cape Disappointment fits the bill when done at the right time of year/week. Summer weekends can be a pain due to RV traffic, but we had no issues in April. Reservations are highly advised/required for campsites here during the peak season. Cold weather gear and rain gear is also highly advised pretty much all year long. The Washington coast weather can be fickle.

Total miles for the two days – 425 for me
Best roads – Hood Canal to Mason Lake – Shelton to Montesano - the stretch between South Bend and Long Beach – Highway 6 from Raymond to Chehalis.

Best scenic moment – the beach near yurt 80

Best Food – Tie between grilled campfire brats and breakfast in Long Beach
Worst Food – Fish tacos that were not in Westport – Guacamole in Yelm

Wildlife Spotted – bald eagle, half a dozen great blue herons, sandpipers on the beach, a couple of camp raccoons, some cheese loving crows, and a couple of obnoxious sport bikers just begging for a problem.

Nice trip – looking forward to the next.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Gotta' get goin' early.
That's right.
Love it
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Wink

"It has been suggested that Eupson’s riding gear has a certain east European military/police flair to it."

Naw, reminds me more of this:

WW2 Senior German Corporal uniform, that was what it reminded me of when I saw it. Spawning a lot of attempts at quotes, with accent, from Aldo the Apache from Inglorious Basterds.

"Ask him what he is gonna do with his uniform when he gets home,..."

That was a pretty fun ride. Eastern WA beckons for the next ride.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Something About Early Birds and Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinbowie View Post
Gotta' get goin' early.
That's right.
Love it

It feels nice to get that first over-nighter of the season under my belt

Now I just need to learn how to get my lazy azz out of bed earlier in the morning
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
"It has been suggested that Eupson’s riding gear has a certain east European military/police flair to it."

Naw, reminds me more of this:

WW2 Senior German Corporal uniform, that was what it reminded me of when I saw it. Spawning a lot of attempts at quotes, with accent, from Aldo the Apache from Inglorious Basterds.

"Ask him what he is gonna do with his uniform when he gets home,..."

Wow, that is a pretty close match
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post

Eastern Wa via Hood River OR sounds like a good ride