Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,801
2-up FL to AK, looking for tent space, local advice...

Tomorrow is the big day! We are heading out on the Wee, Alaska bound. The loose plan is to do this in a 4-5 month period and take in the sights, plus meet some more of the awesome inmates here. And try to pull off a budget of $60-$80 per day. So tent space would really help us out! Also any suggestions on things to see, or altering our route for the better are welcome. Good MC roads, destinations, places to eat along the way...

This is our second attempt at touring on a bike, we did a test run back in November to see if we could make it work. Here is the link to that RR:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744673

Day 1: Ocala, FL to Helena, GA, or maybe Dublin. Somewhere in that area along the 441 corridor. Can anyone recommend a cheap campground in that area, or offer us some tent space?

Day 2: Helena to Dawsonville or there about. 441 to Athens, the 129 NW. We can camp in the National Forest (going to by a one-year pass for these) but it would be fun to hang out with some local inmates too. I have ridden with a bunch of you guys up there, and have a message out to Flux.

Day 3 TBD.

Then North on 68 and over to Telico Plains to buy more stuff from Mini Mike. We may do the Dragon, or ride 74 over to middle of the Smokies, and go North on 441 through there. Then pick up 321 West. On to 95 and 61 near Norwood and Oliver Springs. Up to Eglin, where we pick up 52 West for a while.

Here is a shot of the bike and my better half, all ready to go.

Tonight, it will be loaded up and ready for an early departure.

Philip Kuntz screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 04:30 PM
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Wow, 5 months! Awesome trip. I went to AK in 06 for 3 weeks and although it was fantastic, it was extremely rushed also. I would love to take the amount of time you are taking to do something like that.

Phil, I think I met you several years ago when a bunch of you guys came up for a DS event and we stayed in Tellico? Probably something Flux organized. I was riding a KTM 520 back then.

I'm SW of Atlanta and not really on your route, but if something comes up and you need a place to stay, I'll go ahead and post up you are welcome to stop by here in Newnan. We can offer floor space in a bedroom with an air mattress and a garage to keep your bike in. My wife lived in Ocala for a few years herself several years ago.

Just hit me up something comes up. Have a great trip!!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Lowcountry Thumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
As you go up 441, make sure you go through downtown Madison, GA (by avoiding the bypass). Madison is by far one of the most scenic towns in the state. "The town that Sherman refused to burn." I was born and raised there, but live in Charleston SC now. When you get to Athens, make sure you stop at the Varsity for chili dogs and onion rings. Nothing like it anywhere! Good luck on your trip. Be safe and have fun!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

BL, I saw you in the tent space list here. We froze our asses off in Telico IIRC. I rode with you back in 06 at FBA II also. Unfortunately, I think Newnan is a bit too far to push in one day right now. Kim's back has been bothering her, but she is ready to go anyway. She is pretty tough.

Madison sounds great! We are into historical stuff like that, and big time into chili dogs and onion rings! Thanks for the tips, LCT, we will take full advantage. And we will post up some pics in here too.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
BL, I saw you in the tent space list here. We froze our asses off in Telico IIRC. I rode with you back in 06 at FBA II also. Unfortunately, I think Newnan is a bit too far to push in one day right now. Kim's back has been bothering her, but she is ready to go anyway. She is pretty tough.

Madison sounds great! We are into historical stuff like that, and big time into chili dogs and onion rings! Thanks for the tips, LCT, we will take full advantage. And we will post up some pics in here too.
Yeah, we aren't really in your route, but figured I would throw it out there.

It was definitely a cold weekend back in Tellico what ever year that was and yeah I may have seen you at FBA II also. Post up if you start a ride report thread as I'd love to follow it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,199
If you are at Tellico Plains Friday we will probably be staying at the campground at Indian Boundary Lake in the Cherokee National Forrest. It's a couple of miles off of the "Cherohola Skyway", hwy 165.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Sweet, we will make an effort to hook up with you Brian.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
ZukiNoomin
The Dude abides

Oddometer: 284
Subscribed.

Good luck & have fun!!!!

ZukiNoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,177
Hey Philip, did you look here?

Sounds like an epic trip! Hope you guys enjoy yourselves!!! Oh, I also love Madison GA.....and this place is the coolest!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Philip Kuntz OP
Fleasy Rider

Yes, we have checked the Tent Space List, and will refer to it along the way. Which reminds me, I should get us removed from it and join the Road Gang.

We may very well check out the Micro Car Museum. It looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up, HWG.

The bike is mostly loaded up, we will add/ remove a few things in the morning before we head out. The ODO reads 38,888, and I snapped a pic of it.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post

The bike is mostly loaded up, we will add/ remove a few things in the morning before we head out. The ODO reads 38,888, and I snapped a pic of it.
Okay PK, show me the pic!
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Scribe
Bob

Oddometer: 6,926
About fookin' time you two got on the road. If you two are anywhere near Utah in late May early June, Dr. Z and I will be in the backcountry looking for polygamist camps to marry us some multiple wim folks. Look us up.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #13
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry Thumper View Post
As you go up 441, make sure you go through downtown Madison, GA (by avoiding the bypass). Madison is by far one of the most scenic towns in the state. "The town that Sherman refused to burn." I was born and raised there, but live in Charleston SC now. When you get to Athens, make sure you stop at the Varsity for chili dogs and onion rings. Nothing like it anywhere! Good luck on your trip. Be safe and have fun!
I think you and Hardwaregrrl have talked us into stopping in Madison. Just for the chili dog and onion rings. We're suckers for good fried onion rings or fried anything... Okay, we liked the cars as well.:)
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
kelly duke 2000
Closed, Gone Riding

Oddometer: 479
Hey guys, Good luck and safe travels. I see your heading Ga. way. Hopefully you won't have to do too much city driving, but if you go thru marietta, ga. hit up Johnny McCrackins for lunch or dinner.

It' a bar with great food in an old firehouse with great selection of drafts.

ENJOY
Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,814
Glad to see you 2 are off on an adventure!
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote