Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #136
ullukk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Just caught up with the last month or so of this excellent thread, yet more great photo's, especially the ones of glencoe, i love it up that way, should be up that way about mid september time work permitting, stopped at the red squirrel campsite a few times in the past and always leave with fond memories, great days riding followed by great evening in the clachaig inn. Perfect!!!.
ullukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #137
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Hmm, I was sure I updated this last week. Clearly not. D'oh!

Haven't been out as much as I'd like for a few reasons. Mostly the weather. Got out last week though and decided to head round Loch Lomond. I rarely go all the way round the loch as the road up through Rest and Be Thankful is much better. However I'd be heading north to Crianlarich before turning south to come down passed the loch so Rest and Be Thankful was off the table. Last I heard, the road was blocked due to a landslide anyway.

Just a few photos from Loch Lomond. I was just so happy to be out on the bike that I wasn't in the mood to be stopping. I saw a few things that caught my eye though so will definitely revisit soon and get more photos.

Loch Lomond:

And because no natural beauty spot is complete without an eye-sore to go with it, here is what you see when you turn around;

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 06:36 PM
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #138
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Ooo you got sunshine
Any more news on the test? That isnt an eyesore when you think of it as an engineering feat

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #139
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,405
All good stuff Matt, carry on.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #140
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Unbelievable pics...

...and great narrative too. Thanks so much for sharing your corner of the world with us. Please keep it coming.
BigKnobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #141
lemovice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
In 1984 I visided the West Lothian,if on day you go to Broxburn,you can make photos of this city to see if she changed a lot

thank
lemovice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #142
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Ooo you got sunshine
Any more news on the test? That isnt an eyesore when you think of it as an engineering feat
End of the month. All been a bit of a farce. 3 days before I was due to go the last time the instructor quit/got fired and the other dude was on holiday. Will likely be next year before I get a proper go on my new bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemovice View Post
In 1984 I visided the West Lothian,if on day you go to Broxburn,you can make photos of this city to see if she changed a lot

thank
I've never been to Broxburn. The motorway bypasses it. If I'm ever there i will make sure to take photos.

My Flickr
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #143
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Long time, no update. Rather frustratingly, I can see that all my pictures have disappeared from the site. I host them through my Facebook page as it's free and there's no limit to how many times they can be viewed. The problem is that occasionally Facebook change their layout. So while my Facebook page still has all my photos, the individual urls have been changed. So all you get here are broken links. I'll go back through the thread and sort them soon though.

I really should get a proper photo account somewhere but I'm really just to cheap to pay for these things!

On the licence front; I did pass my Mod 1 exam. When trying to get the second and final part booked the first available slot that was convenient for me and my instructor was towards the end of November. I decided I'd wait til spring because the weather will suck. The Mod 1 lasts for 2 years before I have to re-sit. Not that I'll be delaying it that long mind you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was the first time I've been on the bike for a while. October and November here are not exactly ideal for biking and most bikes are in hibernation. Started a new job a few weeks back as well which means that even on nice days I haven't had much of a chance.

The lack of bike action has seen me spending more time on this site than usual looking at everyone's photos and whatnot so I decided that as long as the weather today wasn't awful I'd get out for at least a short while. It's likely to be the last ride I get til spring.

The journey to my new job takes me over the Kincardine Bridge every day. This was a bridge built when men were men and bridges were big and made of iron. It's only a 20 minute ride away and as it was raining I decided that was far enough.

Construction on the bridge ended in 1936. It crosses the Forth River just like the other bridge that I'm fond of taking pictures of. It's a swing bridge but no longer gets 'swung' because bigger ships don't get as far up the river anymore. They only need to go as far as Grangemouth which sits right between this bridge and the ones at Queensferry. The bridge might have been built when men were men but it was also built before cars were the primary mode of transport in Britain. Congestion was terrible until the second bridge was opened a few years back. It used to take my aunt about 45 mins to cross the bridge when heading to her work in the morning. I'm over it in 30 seconds.

Finding a place to take photos of the bridge is a bloody nightmare. The south bank is just a mud flat so is no use. There are a few viewing areas (specifically for the bridge, with info boards and everything!) on the north bank but they've all been fenced off for whatever reason. So most of the photos I have are taken with the camera sticking through a gap in the fence.

Kincardine Bridge:

Here's the view from the other bridge. You can see Grangemouth Oil Refinery in the background. It was taking these pictures that Irishrover63 from these very forums drove past me. First I knew about it was when I received a PM checking if it was me he'd seen!

Here are 2 boats. One is in considerably better shape than the other.

And here is the Clackmannanshire Bridge. Compared to the beautiful industrial lines of the Kincardine Bridge, this is nothing but a road on some poles. You might not even be able to see the bridge here as it blends in with the grey sky.

I decided that maybe the beauty of the newer bridge would be captured if rather than simply photograph it, I tried to paint it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I have about a hundred picture urls to amend in this thread so I'll get on with that.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 10:00 AM
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #144
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 414
Welcome back.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #145
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Nice job Matt, I like the old Kincardine bridge it's got that well built ruggedness about it. I will stop off next time I see you, now I know it was you. Tomorrow is forecast to be nice weather, hope to head out on the bike myself with the camera. Get yourself a Flickr account like I have, a free account lets you post 200 pics, then as you upload the oldest image is hidden, but you always have 200 images available to view if that makes sense.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23892420@N06/
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #146
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Good to have you back.

FWIW your bridge looks far more exciting than the Clackmannanshire Bridge
fraser2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #147
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Well done on passing Mod 1, take it your over 24 then Matt if your doing DAS as thats the new age from jan 19(doesnt matter if youve passed mod one or not), dunno why, thought you were doing it on a 125, yes the mod 1 lasts two years............but its from the date of your theory test pass in reality which the examiner should of told you, so if you did that 18 months ago you only have 6 months to get it done or youll be resitting the lot

Wouldnt be bothered about the weather after this year, youve only gotta suck it up for 40 mins and the bugger you can ride safely

More fun being upright
Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #148
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Welcome back.
Tyvm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrover63 View Post
Nice job Matt, I like the old Kincardine bridge it's got that well built ruggedness about it. I will stop off next time I see you, now I know it was you. Tomorrow is forecast to be nice weather, hope to head out on the bike myself with the camera. Get yourself a Flickr account like I have, a free account lets you post 200 pics, then as you upload the oldest image is hidden, but you always have 200 images available to view if that makes sense.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23892420@N06/
Typically, the weather is great and I'm working. Hope you manage to get out.

Yeah you mentioned the Flickr thing before but at the time the Facebook thing was working fine. If I'm going to lose all the pictures from the thread every time they have a redesign I'll need to find something else. I'm sure I have more than 200 pictures already though so if I'm going to keep the thread as updated as I want, I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay someone to host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser2312 View Post
Good to have you back.

FWIW your bridge looks far more exciting than the Clackmannanshire Bridge
Cheers man. Tbh, if the Kincardine Bridge didn't have that swing section in the middle, it wouldn't look all that different. But it does, so that's kinda moot. As much as it was a godsend for easing traffic congestion, it's a pity they couldn't have made it even a little bit pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Well done on passing Mod 1, take it your over 24 then Matt if your doing DAS as thats the new age from jan 19(doesnt matter if youve passed mod one or not), dunno why, thought you were doing it on a 125, yes the mod 1 lasts two years............but its from the date of your theory test pass in reality which the examiner should of told you, so if you did that 18 months ago you only have 6 months to get it done or youll be resitting the lot

Wouldnt be bothered about the weather after this year, youve only gotta suck it up for 40 mins and the bugger you can ride safely
Yeah I'm 30, doing DAS.

Yeah I wasn't aware of the theory thing. Only did that in June though so it's not going to affect things. Thanks for the heads up though.

My worry with the test was that it was going to be icy or snowing. My instructor was amazed that my Mod 1 went ahead as the test centre was flooded. This got me thinking that the examiners will only cancel a test in the worst conditions. It was more a case of the test being quite expensive and me not wanting to lose a load of cash because of bad conditions.

I also wouldn't really be using the bike much even if I had booked the test for this year anyway.

I'll get it done in march.

My Flickr
Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #149
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

If they cancel then they pick up the restest fee and not you, can be blooming annoying as youll ride all the way in the same conditions they wont take you out in because of a risk of high wind/ice/standing water/risk of snow etc etc........but if you didnt turn up then you gotta pay for it, does our bloody heads in because youve still gotta ride back to the training centre in the same conditions they wont take you out in

More fun being upright
Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #150
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Hey Matt,
just checking back in to see how you are doing.
Well done on the test part 1 (of 759...). If I was cynical, I might think that they are making it so complicated, and expensive, to get a bike licence as some sort of deterrent. Surely not?
Good on you for ploughing through all that crap.
It sure was different in my day, I think my test took about 10, maybe 15 minutes at the most... but the price I have to pay for that is being veeery old. :)

Safe miles mate!