Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #211
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
Come over, dude. Everyone should ride Scotland at some point in their life.
Stunning, stunning photos. May all your February's be as beautiful and more so. BTW, hurry up & get yer full license - I'll be in Scotland after I finish with the Isle of Man TT, and you'll be near enough where I'll be staying. If you want riding & exploring company, and a fellow (shite, but not so shite as to be truly shite) photographer, I'd be honored.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #212
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Excellent thread

I always look for an update here when I drop in on AdvRider, great pictures and transparent pleasure form the act of riding make it a great read.

(I grew up mixing my riding between left and right sides of the road. I found that I fell naturally into the pattern of the places. had I been required to reverse the common usage I would have got muddled, but as it was i knew where to go in each country from force of habit. Driving in the US Virgin Islands is complicated because they use US signage and drive on the left, as much as anyone follows the rules, so that is confusing).

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #213
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksg View Post
hi, that its my kind a way of travel...low cc bike, and time to really see the landscape, you have there some of the most beautifull photos that i ever seen, cheers
Thank you very much. Plenty people enjoy fast bikes and good luck to them, but I can't help but feel they're missing out at times. There's so much to look at in this country that zipping past it at 130mph is doing yourself a great disservice. Even when I 'move up' bikes I wouldn't be getting anything built for speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
sounds about right price wise mate, good luck
Thanks man. Info in the next post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
Stunning, stunning photos. May all your February's be as beautiful and more so. BTW, hurry up & get yer full license - I'll be in Scotland after I finish with the Isle of Man TT, and you'll be near enough where I'll be staying. If you want riding & exploring company, and a fellow (shite, but not so shite as to be truly shite) photographer, I'd be honored.
If February was like this every year I'd have myself cryogenically frozen about only brought out for 28 glorious days a year.

Sounds good man. If I don't have a licence by then, something catastrophic will have happened so I think I'll be good.

You doing a RR for your travels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I always look for an update here when I drop in on AdvRider, great pictures and transparent pleasure form the act of riding make it a great read.

(I grew up mixing my riding between left and right sides of the road. I found that I fell naturally into the pattern of the places. had I been required to reverse the common usage I would have got muddled, but as it was i knew where to go in each country from force of habit. Driving in the US Virgin Islands is complicated because they use US signage and drive on the left, as much as anyone follows the rules, so that is confusing).
Thanks man. Yeah I always feel that troubles melt away when you're on a bike. I can't not enjoy myself. Glad it comes across.

Yep you're right about the side of the road business. Many thousands of bikers head to different countries every year and most seem to do okay. Can't be that hard or no-one would get home.

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #214
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
My test is booked for the 28th of March.

Normally I'd keep it quiet so that in the event of failure I could simply not mention it and tell you all that the reason it was being put off was that I was concerned about the weather going bad in November or that I didn't have enough money.

No, I swear this will be my first attempt.

To demonstrate how slow I've been about this, new legislation has managed to come out since my last test (Mod 1). I'm slower than a semi-corrupt semi-democracy. The engine size of the bike I have to use has risen from at least 500cc to at least 595cc so the old Suzuki G500 (or whatever the hell that thing was) has been given the heave-ho and I'll be doing the test on a Yamaha Diversion. I've never been on a Yamaha before but I've got an hour before the test to get myself acquainted with it. I can't imagine it does anything mind-bogglingly radical so it'll just be getting used to the seating position. I'm hoping it's less cramped than the Suzuki.

Anyway so that's my D-Day. It's out there so no hiding when the time comes. If it's 10 o'clock at night on the 28th and I still haven't posted you'll know I'm too ashamed to say!

In the mean time the wee Suzuki has been Mot'd and given a facelift in preparation of her imminent departure. Givi cruiser panniers that I bought a year and a half ago but never bothered to put on due to a complication with a screw and my sissy bar now adorn the rear end of the bike. They were a right bastard to get on but of course the first thing I said once it was done was, "I should've done that ages ago". I'm hopeless at times.

They look alright too. The silver studs then line the side could do with being painted over mind you. They're a bit 'Rhinestone Cowboy'.

Here she is. I'm still waiting on a new choke cable but once that's done she's good to go.

(Also; that isn't an oil patch!)

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #215
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
My test is booked for the 28th of March.

Normally I'd keep it quiet so that in the event of failure I could simply not mention it
All the best with the test.
TAM
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #216
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Good luck mate!

Rod.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #217
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Good luck Matt, the divvy is a much nicer bike to ride than the GS500, lot smoother, maybe a touch taller but so much better and the extra power(ok only 15bhp or so) gives it a more fun oomph in comparison and remember.......postioning and lifesavers

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #218
glenn2926
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Hi Matt

Good luck with the test. With the amount of riding you have been doing you should have no problems. Just do not stop to take photographs whilst actually on your test.
I hope to be reading a lot more of your ride reports this year.

Cheers Glenn.
glenn2926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #219
trackrider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thumb

Hey matt good luck for the 28th fella ,, the weather is to break tomorrow but hopefully no snow ,, especially for the 28th .. You will sell the wee sazzook no worries ,, she looks like a mini harley with them boxes on now but looking good,, all the best jim
trackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #220
Janis
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Brilliant!

Some stunning views! I`m down in London.Only had some local trips to south and south west. Exmoor, Dartmoor and other nice places :) I usually pick my places from the national walks website. They have lots of nice places to offer, I always get some nice ideas there. I`m planning to go to whales this spring :) always wanted to go up north though. But it takes a while to get there and with work and all it`s difficult to cough up enough time for exploring Scotland :) anyway - brilliant pictures. I hope I`ll get there someday :)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #221
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Very nice....
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #222
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
I have always wanted to travel to Scotland and do a bike tour... Now I am inspired like never before.
So very inspired
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #223
yorkieterrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Good luck with the test.

Keep up the good work with the photos.

You are lucky to be able to ride in such a beautiful part of the world
yorkieterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #224
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Go get 'em Matt!

Quote:
and remember.......postioning and lifesavers
Thats the ticket!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #225
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
If I don't have a licence by then, something catastrophic will have happened so I think I'll be good.

You doing a RR for your travels?
Haha, good to hear.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing an RR. I need to put a bit more thought and planning into exactly what it will be; I'm flat out busy with work & getting everything ready for months away, that I'm shelving that whole thought process until I've got time to think through it properly. But there's definitely going to be a Go Pro in there somewhere ;-)