Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #76
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Yesterday was the last in the trilogy of sunny days. Today is what we call dreich. And it's to stay like that for the next few days at least. Ah well.

So yesterday I decided to go to Aberfoyle. It's a small village that's popular with hikers (due to its location in the Trossachs), with old folk (due to the Scottish Wool Centre) and with Bikers (due to the road in). There's not much to Aberfoyle at all. It's essentially a street with a car park at one end, a petrol garage at the other with some cafes and outdoor shops inbetween. It's never too busy because unless you're visiting Aberfoyle or the surrounding areas, there's no reason you'd be there. Unlike Callander (one of the many 'Gateway to the Highlands' we have in Scotland) that can get very crowded at times due to through-traffic from folk heading further north.

When I first got my bike I was there a load of times as it's not too far away but since I started doing longer trips it's been largely forgotten about. Since I was on a time limit due to a trip to the cinema I decided that I'd re-visit the roads that I learned to ride my bike on.

To get there you head through Callander and hang a left a mile afterwards. The road in is phenomenal. I'd almost forgotten just how good it was. When I was last on it there were a few segments where the tarmac quality was poor but I was happy to see that huge swathes of it have been resurfaced. It's as close to a tarmac roller coaster as you'll ever see. Once you're passed the 2 lochs you are met with a road that winds its way up a hill with twists and turns and sees you lose your stomach as you crest hills and then swoop down again on the other side. Did the whole thing with a grin on my face.

The first section takes you along Loch Venacher. I pulled in at a rest stop that I camped at when I was a teenager. I remember setting up the tent and then diving onto the sleeping bags only to discover the hard way that we'd pitched the tent on top of a huge boulder. A think layer of moss disguised it. No camping and thankfully no cracked ribs today though.

Loch Venacher:

The road beside the loch, while lacking the up and downyness (to erm, coin a phrase) of the latter stages of the road is still fantastic.

My next stop was at Loch Achray. Just a wee loch but the carpark that I stopped in is a relatively busy one as it's where people park up when they want to climb up Ben Venue.

Loch Achray:

There's nothing pretty in this next one. I took it to illustrate my observational skills. I climbed my way down that pile of rocks you see on the left only to take 3 steps, turn round and notice a perfectly good set of stairs had been provided. D'oh!

Taking those photos, I was standing next to fresh water on marshy ground. As some of you may know, that put me right in the killzone of Scotland's most fearsome predator. The Midge. I managed to get only a few photos before I had to make a run for it. By the time I got back to the bike they were everywhere. Never got my gear on so quick in my life.

The next part of the road is the spectacular bit. It's called the Duke's Pass. Unlike a lot of roads in Scotland it's not the views that make it so fantastic but the road itself. Like I said earlier; it's a tarmac roller coaster. I couldn't really get any photos of it though as the nature of it makes it disappear round corners or over a peak. I did stop to get a photo of Ben Venue though but I apparently stopped in the middle of a swarm of flies. Which was nice. That meant it was another super quick stop and away.

Duke's Pass:

This is the view of Loch Drunkie from the road.

After fleeing the insects I was heading into Aberfoyle. Duke's pass takes you over the top of some hills and the very final stretch is coming down the side of one. It sees you going round several hairpin bends as you gradually descend down the hill. The road here is not great quality so I was taking it easy.

Into Aberfoyle car park and I sat down with some juice and burger from the van and relaxed. The road that I was taking out of the village is almost straight and certainly lacks the fun factor of the road in. Got me home quicker than if I'd retraced my steps though.

Aberfoyle:

I debated with myself whether I should go over and rip that pole out of the ground to get it out of my way. C'mon Aberfoyle, I'm trying to take pictures here.

And that's another trip done for the day. I'm already looking forward to getting back on that road. Anyway the weather here is to be pretty poor until at least Monday so next lot of photos will have to wait.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:47 PM
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #77
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Well I hope the weather fairies are on standby, just checked the live webcam feed from Nevis, overcast but dry it looked like(better than Scafell-Mist and Snowdon-rain), just a shame im not coming by bike

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #78
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Well I hope the weather fairies are on standby, just checked the live webcam feed from Nevis, overcast but dry it looked like(better than Scafell-Mist and Snowdon-rain), just a shame im not coming by bike
What day are you coming up? We have rain for a week here in the central belt (including for my lesson. Joy) starting from this afternoon apparently. It's pretty sunny now though. Of course that means nothing here...

My Flickr
Old 06-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #79
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
It is indeed.

I lived in the UK as a child but never visited Scotland.

That's why I enjoy your reports.

I look forward to visiting one day.

Cheers,

JM.
Well I'm glad you enjoy them and I hope you get to come over.

My Flickr
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #80
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

We leave Birmingham tomorrow morning mate, wont be up to Fort William till early evening and staying in a B&B.....the joy of minibus travel means slow progress, over night in FW and the challenge kicks off midday thursdayor

More fun being upright
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #81
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We leave Birmingham tomorrow morning mate, wont be up to Fort William till early evening and staying in a B&B.....the joy of minibus travel means slow progress, over night in FW and the challenge kicks off midday thursdayor
Shouldn't be too bad then. The forecast tells me that the light rain will only last for an hour or two around 1pm.

It's heavy rain for the rest of the day.

My Flickr
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #82
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Might be on my way back down by then.............not

More fun being upright
Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #83
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope you haven't drowned.

My Flickr
Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #84
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
I hope you haven't drowned.
mate, its wet, currently in fort william, hope it picks up tomorrow

More fun being upright
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #85
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I have enjoyed reading your RR.Myself and some of my biking friends from work done an around Scotland tour on the bikes in April both last year and this year with Billy managing to do it on his Suzuki 125 Marauder.

Taken at Tongue causeway.

You can just make out Billys Red 125 Marauder behind us at Dunnet Head the most northerly part of the UK.

and also at the summit of Bealach na Bą to Applecross.
Billy has now progressed to the ranks of getting his A2 licence and has his eyes on a 750 Virago now so hopefully future tours will be a bit on the quicker side, all be it you notice a lot more of the wonderful Scottish countryside when you slow up a bit.
Keep on riding.
TAM
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #86
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
mate, its wet, currently in fort william, hope it picks up tomorrow
The weather here defied the weatherman and was actually nice. Didn't see how it was further north but I hope it was pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMTAM View Post
I have enjoyed reading your RR.Myself and some of my biking friends from work done an around Scotland tour on the bikes in April both last year and this year with Billy managing to do it on his Suzuki 125 Marauder.
Billy has now progressed to the ranks of getting his A2 licence and has his eyes on a 750 Virago now so hopefully future tours will be a bit on the quicker side, all be it you notice a lot more of the wonderful Scottish countryside when you slow up a bit.
Keep on riding.
TAM
Nice photos, cheers man. It sucks when you know you're holding people up. It's one of the reasons I ride alone 95% of the time.

Don't think I'll stick with a cruiser when I move up. If I had the cash to have multiple bikes, I'd definitely have one in the garage but if I'm going to be a one-bike-guy it'll have to be something more suited to touring on small and dodgy roads.

My Flickr
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #87
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I have enjoyed your pics and narration, been on most of the routes you have done and always meant to do a report like yours, but I find the scenery and riding so enjoyable I don't want to stop. I might just try one on my next outing.
Here's a wee link to a vid I made recently heading to Aberfoyle via Thornhill, Lake of Menteith, Dukes pass, Callendar, Doune, then back home to Bonnybridge.
The quality could be better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnjnIMiRyk
Good luck with the bike test.
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #88
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Well Matt............the weather was rather out, dont think I have had wetter weather in my life Started the trek up Nevis in a thunderstorm with lightning directly over head, did have a 20 minute gap about halfway up(ill sort the 4 pics I managed to get at that point) were we could actually see something, still snow up top......on the plus side weather was even worse at Scafell and Snowden, 50+mph winds and driving rain. The team did all three mountains in 20h4mins including travelling in complete god awful weather.
I shall be back though on the bike to sample some more of those roads though

More fun being upright
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #89
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hats off to you mate. That's quite the achievement. Congratulation. Considering the entire country's in turmoil due to the weather it takes a brave man (or a lunatic!) to be climbing mountains. Looking forward to seeing your 4 photos.

My Flickr
Old 07-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #90
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrover63 View Post
I have enjoyed your pics and narration, been on most of the routes you have done and always meant to do a report like yours, but I find the scenery and riding so enjoyable I don't want to stop. I might just try one on my next outing.
Here's a wee link to a vid I made recently heading to Aberfoyle via Thornhill, Lake of Menteith, Dukes pass, Callendar, Doune, then back home to Bonnybridge.
The quality could be better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnjnIMiRyk
Good luck with the bike test.
Nice video. Wouldn't mind seeing some more of that kind of thing.

Stopping is definitely the hard part. I usually decide where I'm going to stop for photographs before I even leave the house so that I'm heading to a destination rather than interrupting my ride. If I do see a good spot I'll often continue on and turn round further up and go back so I get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the good luck. I'll need it, as my slow control is awful.

My Flickr