Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #31
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,587
Jeepers, it was some dude going fast on a bike. Happens every day, no big deal IMHO. Just amazed he'd youtube it, he'll get caught given all the publicity I bet.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #32
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 394
Even made the morning news in our podunk town. News item said police are close to making an arrest after all the utube hits. Probably means if you do something stupid don't post it on utube.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #33
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Now this guy is really crazy..........

lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #34
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
Now this guy is really crazy..........

bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
Archimedes
Adventure Researcher

Oddometer: 181
Unlicensed motorcyclist identified as 300 km/h rider

CBC News

Posted: Apr 19, 2012 10:26 AM PT

Last Updated: Apr 19, 2012 12:08 PM PT

Read 146 comments
Probably wont have enough to prove he was the guy on the bike at least people know who to hate.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-victoria.html
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
http://www.timescolonist.com/touch/s...tml?id=6481435

no insurance... no license... they cant charge the driver as they have no proof it was him, but they charged the owner over $1400 and siezed the bike,

Saanich police have seized the blue Yamaha motorcycle seen reaching 299 km/h in a viral YouTube video, and they’ve levied down more than $1,400 in fines for the bike’s owner but have yet to charge the driver.
The shiny blue 2006 Yamaha R1 sport bike was on display at Saanich police headquarters Thursday morning. Spokesman Sgt. Dean Jantzen explained that police seized the bike from a home in the 800-block of Craigflower Road last week.
Police believe the registered owner is the mother of the 25-year-old rider. Under the Motor Vehicle Act, police are able to serve tickets to the registered owner even if she was not driving the bike.
On Wednesday, the mother was issued tickets totalling $1,449. The breakdown was a $368 ticket for driving without due care and attention, a $483 ticket for excessive speed and a $598 ticket for no insurance.
“The Motor Vehicle Act has sections in it that require the owner to be responsible for the conduct of the vehicle and to be responsible for the person who operates the vehicle,” Jantzen said.
Police are unsure if the mother has a motorcycle licence or whether she owns other motorcycles.
The 25-year-old suspected motorcyclist has no valid driver’s licence and no insurance as a result of 27 driving-related convictions including speeding and driving without insurance, Jantzen said. He has had his licence suspended five times.
The driver also only had a learner’s motorcycle licence, which was also suspended.
Saanich police are looking to lay criminal charges of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle against the motorcyclist.
“Unfortunately at this point we are unable to meet the burden [of proof] to proceed with Criminal Code charges,” Jantzen said.
Jantzen said there has been “limited co-operation” between investigators and the registered owner and suspected rider.
The suspect was supposed to come to the station for an interview with investigators on Wednesday and he didn’t show, Jantzen said.
Police have no power to force him to give an interview because he’s not charged with an offence.
The 25-year-old lives in Greater Victoria but has ties to the Okanagan and Alberta.
Police are trying to seize the motorcycle permanently under B.C.’s Civil Forfeiture Act, which allows the province to take assets that they can prove were used in the commission of an offence.
Thanks to witnesses who saw the bike fly past them on the Trans-Canada Highway, police have been able to determine the video was filmed April 6 around 4 p.m.
Const. Will Dodd, with the department’s forensic identification section, explained police were able to prove the bike seized is the same as the bike in the video thanks to five identical paint chips on the front panel.
Police admit criminal charges will be difficult because they have to prove who is riding the bike in the video.
“We are left with a motorcycle and a set of hands,” Jantzen said.
Colleen Woodger, ICBC road safety co-ordinator, said the motorcyclist put himself and 70 other people on the road at risk by lane splitting (using the centre line to cut between cars on either side) and swerving in and out of traffic.
“Based on the actions we saw, I think we know no B.C. motorist wants this guy on the road.”
Jantzen said it’s frustrating that police can’t do anything to ensure the rider doesn’t drive recklessly in another vehicle, especially as he shows no hesitation to drive without a licence. Jantzen admitted that as long as the rider is on the road, the public is at risk.
Chris Foord, chairman of the Capital Regional District traffic safety commission, didn’t mince words in his condemnation of the driver, He said if a motorist is willing to fragrantly disobey the law in a way that is such a risk to the public, he should be behind bars.
“This driver has shown that his wrongs should be superceding his rights,” Foord said.
The video has been viewed more than 223,000 times. Many of the viewers condemned the behaviour in the comments section, saying it’s by sheer luck the motorcyclist didn’t kill himself or others on the road.
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,859
Too bad it's his mother that has to pay the price although I suppose there's no guarantee it wasn't her driving From the newspaper report it appears she is protecting him somewhat so perhaps it's right she should be held partially responsible but it doesn't appear that the idiot himself will have to suffer any consequences.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #38
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
I wonder if it'll stick.
That convoy of exotic cars resulted in charges that didn't stick.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #39
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Too bad it's his mother that has to pay the price although I suppose there's no guarantee it wasn't her driving From the newspaper report it appears she is protecting him somewhat so perhaps it's right she should be held partially responsible but it doesn't appear that the idiot himself will have to suffer any consequences.

She's entirely responsible for raising such a nutbar. With his confirmed driving record, and her confirmed ownership of the bike, she should have done her best to keep the keys hidden to that R1. No worries, the bike is now gone forever.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #40
xprovince
Adventurertypeperson

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by swellguy View Post
I fail to see what the big deal is, especially for those who live offshore.

Here on the Island there are no speed limits (where paved roads exist, otherwise 150 km/h is the norm), a man can marry his sibling(s) (of either gender), high school is just one career path, firearms can be carried freely (concealed is encouraged), income tax is something we've read about, we elected a Green Party candidate, logging trucks are often family vehicles, plus too many other things to list.

Tell me your kidding or do you suffer from a brain injury
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
xprovince
Adventurertypeperson

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
And many people enjoy spending a weekday sitting on the corner getting stoned out of their minds. By around 5pm they can't put a sentence together.

I admit I find that road unsafe *at* the speed limit. Drivers are so unpredictable in Victoria. It can be southern Italy style chaos out there. A little worse downtown on average, but that road is awful. When we hit our first warm day and the tourists start rolling in, that's when driving really degenerates. We're not quite there yet, but it's coming soon. I can feel it in the pollen count.
SO right on the money. Victoria drivers are mostly terrible half the time. If they're not going 10 under the limit, they will be going 30 over and tailgating. I hated driving out to Langhole because of the foolish drivers and riders (heading to Steve Drain your pocket HD).
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #42
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
What impressed me most was how he altered the dash of his KLR so everyone would think it was a sport bike. Apparently he was running knobbies when he filmed that, too...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #43
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post

No worries, the bike is now gone forever.

It was only an R1 so no big loss anyways
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #44
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
What impressed me most was how he altered the dash of his KLR so everyone would think it was a sport bike. Apparently he was running knobbies when he filmed that, too...

Horseshit

The most I've managed to get from my KLR was 265,

but then again it was snowing and my blower/turbo/nitrous/propane injection switch was stuck.

Oh, and I forgot to take off the milk crate so there must have been considerable drag.
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #45
longwaytim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner View Post
This kind of attitude "don't see what the big deal is" pisses me off. Last year I attended the funeral of a friend killed by a reckless driver with that same attitude. Maybe you want to be the person who picks through the wreckage of the SUV full of soccer kids that could have changed lanes in front of this A-hole on his bike as he was splitting lanes at 200 km/hr?

Good grief
Thank you...