User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
inthewoods OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Question Going to moab question.

Should I buy a topo map for my gps and download trails, or are the trails marked well enough. We wll be riding offroad for two day's and don't want to miss out on some tight tough trails.
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewoods View Post
Should I buy a topo map for my gps and download trails, or are the trails marked well enough. We wll be riding offroad for two day's and don't want to miss out on some tight tough trails.
The the 4x4 and Jeep Trails book and a good map, like the Nat'l Geographic ones. The GPS topo maps are of limited use since they don't usually show all the trails. Most trails are well-marked, BUT if you're on trails that are mostly on slick rock, you have to look out for the rock cairns and in some cases, painted symbols when tire tracks aren't visible. Take lots of water in case you get lost, and stay out of low-lying areas too since they can flash flood with no warning.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Define "...tight tough trails."
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
More CowBell
gotahave moreCowbell

Oddometer: 208
5moh

Are you going to ride the 5MOH (5 miles of hell) trials?
More CowBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
inthewoods OP
Adventurer

tight and tough

I am not sure what to expect out there. We are from the northeast and regularly ride enduro's here. We want to experience Moab.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
inthewoods OP
Adventurer

should we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by More CowBell View Post
Are you going to ride the 5MOH (5 miles of hell) trials?

Should we? sounds great.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,506
Stop by the Visitor's Center in downtown Moab. What? Ask for directions? I was skeptical at first too, but there are a bunch of really helpful people in there that can give you the scoop on the best trails. They will ask about your skill, risk preference, and vehicle mods/capabilities, then give you a bunch of suggested trails to try. They have both free and published maps for you right there.

We went in my Chevy full size, which only has 1.5" lift and slightly oversized tires. The trail suggestions they gave us ranged from harry scarry (Lions Back area) to easy with great views (Gemni Bridges Trail).

I also took my mountain bike, and nearly died of dehydration. Definately take lots of water!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
inthewoods OP
Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Stop by the Visitor's Center in downtown Moab. What? Ask for directions? I was skeptical at first too, but there are a bunch of really helpful people in there that can give you the scoop on the best trails. They will ask about your skill, risk preference, and vehicle mods/capabilities, then give you a bunch of suggested trails to try. They have both free and published maps for you right there.

We went in my Chevy full size, which only has 1.5" lift and slightly oversized tires. The trail suggestions they gave us ranged from harry scarry (Lions Back area) to easy with great views (Gemni Bridges Trail).

I also took my mountain bike, and nearly died of dehydration. Definately take lots of water!

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
I am not sure what to expect out there. We are from the northeast and regularly ride enduro's here. We want to experience Moab.
Definitely look into the FMOH. Also, do the SlickRock loop - there will be mountainbike and hiker traffic but it is the epitome of "Moab," IMO. There is an amazing variety of singletrack there, if you want to call it that...as someone stated earlier, it is often hard to follow as only cairns and spraypainted arrows or similar mark the "way" even though you can deviate from that a lot in many places. If you are there for scenery, and have street-legal bikes(even if marginally), check out he White Rim loop.

Then, as you venture out and are looking for bigger loops, stay away from the two-track stuff marked "4wd" on most maps and ask around for motorcycle-specific stuff. Investigate an area called White Wash; it is primarily dedicated to OHV and more laid out for motorcycles(although there are some really fun dunes and open areas that you will see quad users etc. at.).

I don't know how much time you have there but those suggestions alone should kill at least three days, and even then you will have only scratched the surface.

Have fun.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
DakotaRon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wing It

There are so many great trails in the area that I would advise just winging it. I found my campground host to be an invaluable source of information. http://www.packcreekcampground.com/ Ron set our camping area up next to a small stream and we had the whole place to ourselves.

Ron
DakotaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 666
Sovereign trails are at the top of my list (20 Min North of Moab). If you like lots of fun, twisty, rocky singletrack, there is a full day worth of riding and free camping.

5MOH area is also great(1.5 hrs from Moab). I'd save that for the end of the trip since it can be rough on equipment.

Here's a ride report I did last year with some tighter trails:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=Moab

more video/pics of Sovereign area:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=Moab
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Start early. I wouldn't see a soul early on, then by noon or so I would start passing traffic on the trails, which was OK. By then I was tired and headed back to town.