User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
elite1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Ethanol Free Baby!

Found a place about 3 miles from my house that's carrying ethanol free 87 octane. Scoot was on fumes, so I filled her up and I also brought along a 3 gallon can. Paid 4.23 per gallon, but I am thinking is worth it. I will be anxious to see if the scoot runs any better or maybe gets a tick or 2 better mileage. I dunno.......anybody wanna chime in with their thoughts on this?
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
ropeman@ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
.......anybody wanna chime in with their thoughts on this?
I always try to run the E-free gas in my bike, boat, lawn mower and chain saw. There are probably 5 stations in a 20 mile range near me that sell the non-E. Florida law says it has to be used in off-road vehicles only so you can't put it in a road bike AFAIK. I filled up a jetski and two 5 gallon cans Sunday at $4.14/gallon.

I don't know about better milage, but it won't absorb water and seperate like the ethanol will
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Most of the listings on the link below are ethanol-free but it doesn't hurt to ask someone at the station. I have one about a mile from me so I tend to fill up even if the gauge isn't at half or less since there are few ethanol-free stations where the riding is best around me. I have a small SUV that gets 20-21mpg on the 10% mix we get around here. Once that station near me went ethanol-free I gave it a try - I now get 24-25mpg. Where I was getting 315 miles tops from a tank at near empty I can now get 350-360 miles. As long as ethanol-free gas is available I won't be using the ethanol crap.

http://pure-gas.org/

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,445
I usually try to run ethanol free gas in my scooter and when I can't find it I use Star-Tron.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//con...3/123/lang,en/

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Alcohol fuels use more volume to run, so you will see an improvement in mileage.

I'm on a pit crew for a vehicle running methanol through a fuel injected V-8, and we use about 3 gallons per run. When we ran gasoline, we used about 2 gallons. Granted, this is an 800 horspower motor, but you get the idea.

You would think the lean condiditon caused by the alcohol fuel would cause it to run hotter, but the alcohol actually cools the motor when it isn't actually burning. Red hot exhaust headers, ice cold intake manifold.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
Found a place about 3 miles from my house that's carrying ethanol free 87 octane. Scoot was on fumes, so I filled her up and I also brought along a 3 gallon can. Paid 4.23 per gallon, but I am thinking is worth it. I will be anxious to see if the scoot runs any better or maybe gets a tick or 2 better mileage. I dunno.......anybody wanna chime in with their thoughts on this?
Your scoot will run better. Your lawn mower will run better; and your car will not only run better but get enough better mileage to make it a wash, money-wise.

A lot of the benefit you'll never see, except if you'd had to use gasohol for a period. Ethanol causes corrosion on everything metal - tank, jets or FI injectors, fuel pump. It makes starting harder and when it is moisture laden, as in when it's stored for a period in damp weather, a small engine shows problems much more than a bigger one.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
The whole ethanol thing is nothing but a bunch of political BS.
The ethanol used in gasoline requires more energy to produce than it allegedly saves when mixed in gasoline, not to mention that it is more environmentally unfriendly to produce.
It also raises food prices because it takes food crops off the market.
If it wasn't being subsidized by taxpayers, (that's us), it would cost as much, or more, than gasoline.
This doesn't even include all of the damage to vehicles which were never designed to run this junk.

And now they are pushing to make it 15%. Insanity!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick View Post
The ethanol used in gasoline requires more energy to produce than it allegedly saves when mixed in gasoline, not to mention that it is more environmentally unfriendly to produce.
If it wasn't being subsidized by taxpayers, (that's us), it would cost as much, or more, than gasoline.
This doesn't even include all of the damage to vehicles which were never designed to run this junk.

X2. Bluntly, but accurately, put.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
We probably don't get Ethanol free gas in .de.
<=5 Vol-% Ethanol and <=15% ETBE (made from Ethanol, thus not MTBE) don't need to be declared anyway.
The less Ethanol, the more ETBE is in our fuel. Both have high octane ratings.

Using at least 10% Ethanol is the law (2009/28/EG), end of argumentations.
E10 is the standard fuel for common people. Police and other VIPs are instructed to use E5.

I add 1/3 E85 to our standard E10, because it is much cheaper (1.059/litre) than E10 (1.659/litre) or E5 (1.699/litre). The more Ethanol, the more energy for your money.
But my carbureted scoot doesn't like to start with "E35" when air and engine is cold. During freezing temperatures I must use E10.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

We probably don't get Ethanol free gas in .de.
<=5 Vol-% Ethanol and <=15% ETBE (made from Ethanol, thus not MTBE) don't need to be declared anyway.
The less Ethanol, the more ETBE is in our fuel. Both have high octane ratings.

Using at least 10% Ethanol is the law (2009/28/EG).
E10 is the standard fuel for common people. Police and other VIPs are instructed to use E5.

I add 1/3 E85 to our standard E10, because it is much cheaper (1.059/litre) than E10 (1.659/litre) or E5 (1.699/litre). The more Ethanol, the more energy for your money.
But my carbureted scoot doesn't like to start with "E35" when air and engine is cold. During freezing temperatures I must use E10.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post

The more VOLUME for your money.

The energy released when burning ethanol is much lower than when burning petrol. In the States, testers have reported that using E85 drops their fuel mileage by nearly a third, wiping out savings on purchasing the (subsidized) product.

And that's only one problem. Ethanol soaks up water vapor from the air, and holds it in the fuel mix, through the combustion cycle. That exposes the innards of the carburetor or fuel-injection system, the lines, the tank, to corrosion.

And as you've found, it makes starting harder.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
The more VOLUME for your money.
More volume too.
E85 has about 22.7 MJ / litre, our ethanol-free premium fuel 30 MJ / litre.
With 1 litre E85 at 1.059, the "fair" price for ethanol-free gas is 1.40. But no chance! We pay 1.70 and more.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

http://www.hho4free.com/gasoline_vs_ethanol.htm

"One US gallon of gasoline contains 114,000 BTU of energy; depending on the time of year, and depending on what is in the gasoline. It is getting harder to find gasoline's that does not contain 5 to 10% of Ethanol. Ethanol is ethyl alcohol; the kind of alcohol in beverages; beer, whiskey, bourbon, vodka, cocktails, etc.. It takes one and a half US gallons of ethanol to equal the energy in one US gallon of gasoline; the reason... because ethanol only has 76,100 BTU's of energy per gallon. Less energy means less miles per gallon.
"

Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Alcohol fuels use more volume to run, so you will see an improvement in mileage.

I'm on a pit crew for a vehicle running methanol through a fuel injected V-8, and we use about 3 gallons per run. When we ran gasoline, we used about 2 gallons. Granted, this is an 800 horspower motor, but you get the idea.

You would think the lean condiditon caused by the alcohol fuel would cause it to run hotter, but the alcohol actually cools the motor when it isn't actually burning. Red hot exhaust headers, ice cold intake manifold.

Look at the cooling fins on the methanol burning "speedway" engines made by Jawa and J.A.P.

No, that's not a liquid cooled engine with "fake" cooling fins.
That's all the fins you need when running pure alchohol fuel.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick View Post

The corn they use for ethanol would only be used for cattle feed or high fructose corn syrup.
Neither of which are very efficient uses of corn either. If they use it to make ethanol instead, it's no skin off our backs. (as long as we can still get ethanol free fuel somewhere)
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote