User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Buster714 OP
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 631
Thumb SOLO8GS - Buster's F800GS Build Thread

Ive watched some friends start their own bike threads and it looks like fun so here we go Please keep in mind, Im not a mechanic and any advice or techniques posted here are my own cockeyed inventions/processes. I don't want to discourage anyone from bolting a skid plate on their bike, but if you'll likely drop the bike on yourself in the process, please utilize a professional mechanic. If you'd like more information on myself and Solo Moto Parts, read here.

All are welcome. I just ask that you please refrain from posting product-related items from other vendors or stores.

All of the parts and gear I'll be sharing here can be found at SoloMotoParts.com.

SO IT BEGINS... I dedicated my R6 exclusively to track use so I was going crazy not having a bike on the street. I did some research and decided to buy a 2010 F800GS. Here she is straight from the showroom floor...

I started my adjustments and additions from there...

Pulled off the plastics for paint. I loved the placement of the Orange before with reference to the Black so I just replaced the Orange with Dark Gray and called it a day. Added the SW Motech skid plate. I liked the notch in the side leaving room to pop off the drain plug for an oil change and I knew it would pair nicely with SW Motech's crash bars. The skid plate was powder coated Black and bolted on.

After paint...

Here's a quick comparison between the SW Motech Skid Plate for 800gs 08+ and the stock protection...

I knew that there were a lot of bolt-ons required to get this thing ready for me to dump it in the dirt and not be completely heartbroken. I decided to go with the SW Motech Crash Bars after reading page after page of rider feedback. It was very important for the bike to remain narrow for splitting lanes in traffic but be strong enough to slam into the ground over and over. I've subjected this thing to A LOT of abuse since and I can attest that they are a very robust and functional piece of equipment that protects the bike. Here's a breakdown of the very simple install...

Make sure to leave the bolts loose until everything is lined up and connected, then tighten.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Lookin' good so far!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Buster714 OP
VP of crash testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Lookin' good so far!
Thanks Case! I'm trying to go in chronological order so the TBR slip-on is next. And I may as well say it now, this is technically a 'customization' thread... I dunno how to 'build' nuthin.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
littletim67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Sweet, I love build (customization) threads, especially when they are about a bike I want. Looking forward to the rest.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Buster714 OP
VP of crash testing

Two Brothers VALE M2 Black Series Slip-on

Pricing and availability here... Two Brothers Racing V.A.L.E. M-2 Black Series Slip-On for F800GS 08+

Our neighbors at Two Bros made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I snatched up one of their V.A.L.E. M2 Black Series mufflers. I had never put a slip-on on a bike before, thinking it was an unnecessary addition for the price tag. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see what this pipe offered over the stock can:

significant weight savings
2+ horsepower gain
sleek, narrow profile
deep and throaty exhaust note (more like the twin it is)
improved appearance better matching the bike

The Two Bros dyno results show a gain of over two horsepower just by bolting this thing on! Two extra horsepower seemed to surpass anything else offered for the F800GS in the slip-on category, which cinched my decision...

I opted for the 'Black Series' in Carbon Fiber since it offered the aesthetics I was looking for...
Black Teflon coated cast magnesium end caps
Black Teflon coated billet aluminum inlets and outlets
Black Teflon coated canister reinforcement bands
Special Black anodized 7075 T-6 aluminum bolts that are the button-down on top of the refined Black Series.

Weight savings was significant over the huge stock can. I didn't have the opportunity to weigh the two, but it was quite drastic when picking each of them up...

The dimensions are much smaller and more pleasing to the eye IMO...

Installation couldn't have been easier...

Pop off the springs...

Unbolt the old muffler...

V.A.L.E stands for "Variable Axis Locking Exhaust" which is what Two Bros is calling the system that mounts the muffler canister to the exhaust tube without the use of springs or welding.

It pieced together and bolted on perfectly...

Before...

After...

So, what does it FEEL like? There is a noticeable decrease in back-pressure. This is most notable upon aggressive down-shifting since there's less increase in RPM than there was with the stock can. I can appreciate this since I like to drop gears into turns without having the force transferred to the rear wheel. It's not like putting in a slipper clutch, but there is a difference from stock (that most people won't notice). I happen to like it a lot! It isn't enough to affect deceleration downhill off-road, which would be a problem for me. I can put it in first gear and creep down a steep hill with plenty of engine breaking still there just like before. You'll notice that this particular slip-on exhaust just frees up the bike a little while zipping around town or winding it out through the canyons.

So, what does it SOUND like? It has a lot more grunt to it without being obnoxious. It feels great to blip the throttle on the bottom end, feel the torque and hear the fat new sound. I love it, and others have commented on it too. The guys at Rawhyde said it was the best sounding 8GS they've heard. I went outside and took a video clip a few minutes ago. Sound is best with the bike in motion, but at least this will give you an idea from the stock sound.
Sorry, the bike is filthy right now.

Pricing and availability here... Two Brothers Racing V.A.L.E. M-2 Black Series Slip-On for F800GS 08+

In the future, I'd like to add a Dynojet Power Commander and AutoTune to the bike to optimize the configuration, but it hasn't been necessary to date so other projects have taken precedent.

We have a lot of other brands of exhausts (Akrapovic, Remus, Leo Vince, etc) and air/fuel controllers (Dynojet, Bazzaz, etc) so please don't hesitate to browse the website or contact us for help with your machine.

More to come.

Buster714 screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 04:52 PM Reason: update
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Buster714 OP
VP of crash testing

Alright, I am officially the worst bike thread author here. I'm having too much fun riding. Time for some updates!!!

Protection is a major reason for upgrades to the stock trim on the F650GS, F800GS, and R1200GS. A must have for these bikes are HANDGUARDS!

My handguard of choice for the F800GS is the Barkbusters VPS Handguard. The same part number fits the F650GS, F800GS, and R1200GS models. The 800GS weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 460lbs. Add camping gear, extra fuel, water and supplies, and that's quite a bit of weight when you drop the bike. The ends of the handlebars are always going to hit the ground when the bike goes down. This is inevitable if you are new to big bike riding or if you are like me and have to fall down to know you're having a good time. I've had the bike fully loaded- and tipped and slammed into rocks and dirt more times than I can count. My brake and clutch levers remained straight and untouched and my grips are only worm from my hands instead of having the ends torn to shreds by the ground. Barkbusters take a lickin', that's for sure! If you need evidence take a look at some of our riding videos on the F800GS.

I took some pictures of my Barkbusters today and posted them below. I have about 12,000 miles on them and more spills than I can count.

Another perk of installing handguards is they shield your hands from cold blasts of air in the winter. Guards, leather gloves, and the heated grips have kept my hands toasty down into the high 30*'s, but that's nothing for some of you hardcore winter riders out there. It just doesn't get that cold here.

Click here for pricing and availability. We normally have these in stock and ready to ship. Thanks for reading!