User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
Rixxy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
over flowing coolant.

So, just rode from Otres in Cambodia to BKK (800km) in VERY hot weather 38 + degrees. I cruised up the highway as i was on my way to get a new tyre fitted before heading south. Cruising along at about 120 - 130 KMph full luggage with passenger.

What i noticed is that my coolant bottle is overflowing, it slowly came up and up and eventually reached the top, its not pissing out but it is over flowing slowly. I cannot tell the colour of it as its dark outside here.

I have done about 3500km from the last time she was in KTM BKK as she had the water pump seal changed. What could it be, am i right in thinking head gasket??

I should also say towards the end it felt like i was dropping a little power and when i turned her off at the lights to stop her over heating sometimes she coughed and spluttered as i started her.

I will get a better look at her tomorrow and i will and take her into KTM but they are nice guys but not a knowledgable as some of you lot and don't deal with lots of 990!!

Thanks in advance

Rixxy
Rixxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixxy View Post
So, just rode from Otres in Cambodia to BKK (800km) in VERY hot weather 38 + degrees. I cruised up the highway as i was on my way to get a new tyre fitted before heading south. Cruising along at about 120 - 130 KMph full luggage with passenger.

What i noticed is that my coolant bottle is overflowing, it slowly came up and up and eventually reached the top, its not pissing out but it is over flowing slowly. I cannot tell the colour of it as its dark outside here.

I have done about 3500km from the last time she was in KTM BKK as she had the water pump seal changed. What could it be, am i right in thinking head gasket??

I should also say towards the end it felt like i was dropping a little power and when i turned her off at the lights to stop her over heating sometimes she coughed and spluttered as i started her.

I will get a better look at her tomorrow and i will and take her into KTM but they are nice guys but not a knowledgable as some of you lot and don't deal with lots of 990!!

Thanks in advance

Rixxy
Read the procedure on taking the air out of the system well, it's a pita but that's the problem, air in the system
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
ElChico
East Yorks

Oddometer: 83
Air in the cooling system

Mine did that in France once.. had to get the front wheel high up on a ramp, then open the radiator cap, the air came out, topped up, sorted! Easy fix, but don't forget to be careful if opening the cap when it's hot... scalding!
Cheers
Col
ElChico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChico View Post
Mine did that in France once.. had to get the front wheel high up on a ramp, then open the radiator cap, the air came out, topped up, sorted! Easy fix, but don't forget to be careful if opening the cap when it's hot... scalding!
Cheers
Col

To properly bleed it you need to open the other side of the radiator as well (there's a little screw to purge air).
Like i said, read the bleeding procedure, it's a pita, but you really really need to know this well.
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Tijuana_Taxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Rixxy
Might be something as easy as the radiator cap needs to be replaced, in the middle of nowhere last year my 07 started doing that and all I had to do was replace the cap.
Tijuana_Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
g.arbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Rebleed system. Replace radiator cap.
g.arbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Orange Toaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Bluhduh Could be head gasket

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Rixxy
Could be the head gasket.
I recently replaced mine due to similar symptoms. Here's how I tested it to be sure (it's a fairly big procedure so I did not want to do it if not necessary).

I strapped an empty 0.5 litre soft drink bottle to my right crash bar just under the coolant overflow line. Then routed the line into the bottle. Ensured the radiator was filled to the brim. Went for a good ride.
Observations: bottle was now half full (approx 0.25 litre of coolant) and the overflow pipe is below the surface. But more importantly when the engine was idling I could observe small bubbles of air (exhaust gas) coming out of the overflow pipe. Try this (and pray for no bubbles!)

Cheers
OT
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Rixxy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks mate, This is a great head gasket test!!!!

Im going to bleed her out and see, its the really tall 990 dakar the 08 one and i have had air in the system before so just hoping its that!!

thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I just had a similiar issue, after parking when hot I was getting significant overflow. To bleed the system all I did was take the cap off, run for 1-1.5 minutes, top off the fluid and close it back up. Run for another 2-3 minutes and shut her down. Top off the overflow bottle to appropriate level if needed and voila done. Fixed mine, have had it out three or four times since and hasn't overflowed once.

forgot to mention it has been hotter then hell here already as well 95+ the last day I had it out......

Motard_Menace screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 08:52 PM
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Mine was hoses, you will probably run across my thread.

Like everyone, I suggest bleed, and thermostat first.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Rixxy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hey guys,

For those interested it seems to have been a leaking rad cap. Replaced rad cap ran engine for 5 mins until the fan ran a couple of times then let it cool down and the coolant level slowly dropped back as the air came out.

I do seem to get all the niggles!!

I have already changed my hoses, they went about 10,000 km ago - i now have samco's fitted!!

Rixxy!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
Rixxy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Still having problem

Hey guys,

SO done 2 more 500 km ish days and had the same symptoms, oddly not until i have done about 200 ish KM's do i notice any real change to the level. I have bleed the system as best i can as i'm unable to get the bike to a good wheelie position atm.

Things i have noticed and what i have done -

I now seem to have a clay looking black stuff on the inside of the radiator cap, now i know this is not from wear and tear as the cap is only 500km old since i cleaned it and day old full stop. The coolant in the bottom on the bottle is a bit grey/murkey.

I have taken the Clutch cover off and the oil is normal so there is no sign of water into oil contamination atm i don't think.

I have therefore done the test listed above for the head gasket and have attached a small water bottle to the over flow tank to see if there was any air bubbles coming out, i should add I'm not loosing much coolant, infact most of the time what i take out the expansion bottle tops up the radiator perfectly with me only having to add 10ml of water max.

Again any constructive views or help would be good.

Thanks
Rixxy
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Rixxy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

head gasket

Hey,

SO after a 300 more km after trying to get the head of the bike up to get the bubbles out the coolant i was still having it fill and over flow, so i hooked up the bottle as suggested in the previous thread only i filled it half with water. After about another 200km i started to see bubbles in the water over 6,000 rpm and it slowly got worse the coolant got in the bottle.

I slowed down and kept the revs well under 4000 rpm and no or very few bubbles or coolant movement.

She now in KTM bangkok getting fixed had gasket confirmed as being the problem. Just an update!!

For the record and to help anyone else who my try the same thing, the water was a green/grey once mixed and i got floating bits in it, they eventually settled at the bottom of the bottle as a black sludge. I'm guessing oil contamination.

There was no white mayonnaise in the oil yet though. I was also starting to loose a little power towards the end, I'm guessing mine didn't blow out yet as i was getting no smoke.

Thanks for the advice the bottle tricked proved to be invaluable!!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Now this is a good thread to keep on file. Glad you got it sorted!

ten_fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
sabink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Any suggestions how to find out which cylinder gasket is bad, front or rear?
sabink is offline   Reply With Quote