User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:16 PM   #1
Seebo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bike advice

Well fellow riders I have found myself at an impasse. I want an adventure touring bike and I currently own a 2006 Harley Street Bob. Now my Harley has touring accessories (bags, windscreen, etc) but it is very uncomfortable to ride after a thousand miles or so. I have ridden a friends super tenere and love how it rides but my budget puts me in the vstrom 650 range which is perfectly fine as they have great reviews and quite a fanbase. My problem with the vstrom is its lower displacement. Have any of you downgraded to a lower displacement bike? Did you regret it? I am concerned that going from a 1450cc lightly modified engine to a 650cc will drive me nuts. I know it's comparing apples and oranges but I need some imput.
Seebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:21 PM   #2
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
i think it all comes down to "what/where do you want to ride?"

650cc's in a lighter bike is still pretty responsive...especially if you are looking to go riding some off-pavement stuff. However, it probably wont be the torque monster your harley is.

If you are wanting something to tour on with panniers loaded or a passenger, you'll probably want a bigger engine. May want to look around for a slightly older GS that fits in the budget.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote