User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
TrophyHunter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Plastics / Radiator guards

I've read through some of the threads so my apologies if I missed it. The '15 XCx comes with great protection down low, but I'd like some for the plastics and radiator area. Plenty of options out there if you don't have the OEM stuff but I didn't locate any that add on to the existing guard.

I looked at sliders, too, which would help in some situations, but my luck would place flat ground where the slider is and a rock where the plastics are.

I'm looking at having Nomadic Racks make something that bolts on using collars and the frame mount point. If I had any photo manipulation skills, I'd mock it up but just picture the OEM XCx set up with a SW-Motech unit mounted on.

Anyway, if someone has seen protection as described, please post up.

If you'd be interested in one if Nomadic wants to produce one, let me know.

thx
Old 06-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
mattlefler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Guards

PM Sent...

Thanks,

Matt
mattlefler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
The change in the plastics has removed the availability of the top mount many manufacturers used for bars on the pre '15 models. I'm sure there are designers and engineers working on the issue but it seems to be taking some time to resolve.

I would not use sliders on a bike that was going to be used off the paved road. Too much potential for them to dig in of get caught on something.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
TrophyHunter OP
Beastly Adventurer

PM to Matt and agree on the thought process of off road with sliders. Makes sense.

I dropped the XCx off to Justin at Nomadic today with a simple wire mock up and screen prints of potential ideas to feed from.

Thx for the input and interest.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
TrophyHunter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Unfortunately, here's the reply from Justin at Nomadic. I appreciate him taking the time to look at it for production. I'm not sure I want to pay whatever it is for a one off unit.

"I won't be able to help you out on this project this time. Heres why:

Designing a set of tank guards on your bike, for YOUR crash bars is one thing....but if there is variance in the tube manufacturing from bike to bike, the product I would make, may not fit. I have found that in crash bars like these, there can be a variance...even 1/16" could prevent installation on someone else's bike. I don't want to be stuck making a run of these which may not fit other bikes."

He suggested getting rid of the OEM units and getting the SW Motech's for upper protection but I don't want to lose the lower.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Do SW Motech have bars available for the '15 models yet? I can't find any reference to them from the local distributor.
Note that the bars for the 11-14 models will not fit the new model becaus of the new plastics and radiator.
On the subject of SW Motech I would do some research before buying their bars. On the 11-14 models there were several instances of the top bracket folding back and actually causing damage to the top of the engine during crashes.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
TrophyHunter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good info - thx. I couldn't find a '14 XCx referenced anywhere - but my Googlefoo may be off - so I was looking at the SW Motech pic in the link above as being on a '15. New to the Triumph brand after passing on a new 1050 Tiger 10 years ago due to a local dealer so welcome the input/corrections.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:52 AM   #8
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Good info - thx. I couldn't find a '14 XCx referenced anywhere
The XCx is a '15 model not a '14.
The SW Motech link you posted in post one is indeed a '15 bike but I have doubts about those bars. The top bracket is a long thin piece of flat metal secured at one end only by a bolt to the frame. There is potential for that metal to bend either into the engine or away from it (depending on what side the force is on). This is what happened with the previous SW Motech design although the flat metal was secured at the frond on the cylinder head.

K1W1 screwed with this post 06-09-2015 at 02:59 AM
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
My dealer said someone managed to get a set of SW Motech bars onto a '15 Tiger 800, but it took some careful work with a heat gun on the plastics to make that upper mounting point available.

Caveat emptor...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
TrophyHunter OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm going to have Nomadic make a custom set for my bike. I'll post up when it happens. Justin said the variance could - or could not - exist in the OEM lowers so he doesn't want to make a run and have them come back for fitment issues.

Hopefully pics in a few weeks.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
TrophyHunter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, just got back from Nomadic Racks with the new guards. I didn't want anything welded to the stock lower protection in case I wanted to work on the upper part of the bike. I'd been around Justin's shop before and he showed me some split collars he used on other projects so I ordered some.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#2380k24/=xv7305 <-- like these but I paid $7 per....will post link if I can find it.

Anyway, we discussed stress points and I provided him with pics from a variety of suppliers to get ideas from. Justin asked about maintaining the bikes look and splicing the upper front to go with the angle of the plastics. We agreed on attaching to the lower and using the stress points on the stock lower to eliminate flex if needed. He also followed the lines of the bike with cross bars for the most part.

So here they are. Yes, the angle in the front will most likely dig in if laid down but so will a lot of other parts on the bike. I like 'em.

Justin left enough room for a little flex.

Couple of mm's 'tween the stock lower and the newly attached guard.

The vertical posts are aligned with the stock horizontal stress points.

Common tie in point for many guards/sliders. Justin used different length standoffs behind the tab as each side is different. No - the bolt head does not hit my knee. I installed the Triumph frame protectors a few days ago.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
mattlefler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Looks great!!

Keep pressing him for production on those. Im still interested in a set.

Matt
mattlefler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
TemeculaTim
Timeteo Viejo

Oddometer: 178
Thumb

Those look great. Were you at the SDAR Pine Valley ride a few weeks ago? I was on the Green Tiger.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
TrophyHunter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Matt - He felt bad for not doing a second set but said these were a handful and even though you agreed to fit as needed, he's done. He really doesn't do many "one offs" but I've known him 7 years. Justin did agree I could provide whatever pics needed for anyone to copy the process so let me know if you want any besides what's here if you find a fabricator.

Tim - yup! Can't remember if we talked as there were what, 40 people on that ride? I didn't ride with the group after the orig meet up as I was waiting for the guards. The bike's only new once and I like to get protection on my machines prior to the inevitable drop. Look forward to more SDAR stuff.
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #15
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Alt Rider Just Announced Them for the 15s

$366

Looks like you have to lose the stock engine guards.