ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #46
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylent
So my new tiger has shed 3 of 4 indicators in under a week. Seems like the heat has made them super soft and high speed wind or light pressure makes the rubber crack and tear. My front signals are being held on with gorilla tape right now, and right rear is duct taped to the side of the bike. Anyone else having problems with this? Bike has not been down. Its almost as if I have a turn signal gremlin chewing on them at night!

Other than that. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!


My left front was found broken on a ride just Friday. I was thinking maybe the factory or dealer torqued it too tight? The dealer is going to cover it. Mine is 2012 I've had for little over one week. I super glued mine till the dealer gets the new part in.
Could be a heat issue, maybe. It's been hot here in WNC, but I tend to think it's a bad batch of plastic/rubber that the indicator is made of.




Just saw this thread. The original post is in the tiger 800 mega thread.
I arrived home a week ago to find the right front signal indicator hanging. Looks like the same issue. I super glued it abck together and used a washer under the mounting bolt. Doesnt really matter to me as I will soon be getting the LED signal indicators. I will keep the originals as spares in the tail bag for when I take it off road.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
clax
Adventurer
 
clax's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Sooke, BC
Oddometer: 89
Here's My TIger!



anyone ever had that happen to them before??

C
__________________
http://tigerclay.blogspot.com/
clax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #48
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
anyone ever had that happen to them before??

C
you've had also sorts of problems in your travels haven't you?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #49
RedBean25
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RedBean25's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post


anyone ever had that happen to them before??

C
um....no. still under warranty?
RedBean25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #50
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post


anyone ever had that happen to them before??

C

Bummer......

This is a fatigue failure of the main frame, starting at the subframe/mainframe weld. My initial thoughts, are that this could be caused by one of two things: 1) Bad weld at the factory, or 2) Overloading of the bikes rear subframe.

I'm not saying this is the case, but have you dumped your bike with your loaded panniers?? This can cause cracks in welds. This is a primary reason I don't like hard panniers on my bike. This first thing to hit the ground is the pannier......which then transfers the majority of that impact load/force to the passenger foot peg....then into the subframe/welds. Additionally, I don't know how much weight you are carrying in your panniers, but having the pannier with a ton of weight in it, going over the washboard roads in Bolivia, will put big time vibration/fatigue loads on the subframe and cause weld failures. How do I know this..... I learned the same way you did....only it was on my DR650....completely destroyed the pannier rack and subframe attachment points (but nothing that a good welder couldn't handle),

If you were in the States, I'd try to push for a warranty claim (although if they see your load out, they may disagree that it's their fault). However, if I were you, I'd get it professionally reinforced/welded, and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Sorry for your problems.....best of luck
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #51
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Bummer......

This is a fatigue failure of the main frame, starting at the subframe/mainframe weld. My initial thoughts, are that this could be caused by one of two things: 1) Bad weld at the factory, or 2) Overloading of the bikes rear subframe.

.

Sorry for your problems.....best of luck
That crack does not look to be IN the weld but below it. The weld looks fine. That looks like either crash damage or overloading to my highly trained professional eye ;). Good luck with that! Let us know how you sort it out.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #52
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp
 
crazyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Crystal Beach, FL
Oddometer: 1,121
I've had my 800XC since Thanksgiving '11. Just about to get to the 12k point. Front end bounces a bit at 35-45 mph, though that might be due to having the oem tires on still. I'll have the spokes checked. I've had a few instances where the bike would stall. Usually on very warm days. I'll have that checked as well. Other than those two things, this bike has been very good to me.
__________________
'13 Triumph Trophy SE
Just keep ridin'
crazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #53
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
I've had my 800XC since Thanksgiving '11. Just about to get to the 12k point. Front end bounces a bit at 35-45 mph, though that might be due to having the oem tires on still. I'll have the spokes checked. I've had a few instances where the bike would stall. Usually on very warm days. I'll have that checked as well. Other than those two things, this bike has been very good to me.
there are a lot of people with the front end bounce. this isn't a coincidence. mine does it too.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #54
turboICE
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 63
Overloading would crack in or above the weld not below it. Weight would apply leverage back and down, not forward and up.

Don't let your insurance see it they will total it. A minor low side slide resulted in my XC being totaled when the passenger peg mount was bent 180* upward damaging the frame. There is no subframe on this bike it is all frame and any damage is only considered repaired by a replacement of the frame. A subframe could be removed and replaced independently of the frame. The decision to make the passenger peg mounts a part of the frame was a very poor one. They effectively acknowledged this when making the Explorer passenger peg mounts separate and sacrificial.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #55
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Overloading would crack in or above the weld not below it. Weight would apply leverage back and down, not forward and up.

.



When I said "overloading", I was referring to an impact load, transferred from the bottom of the pannier (hitting the ground), up to the passenger footpegs, and to the frame....as detailed in my post.


Addtionlly, I agree....the design is bad, in that the "passenger footpegs" should be removable, and there should be an entire rear "subframe" that is replaceable.
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #56
NoWarNoBulletBelts
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Detroit
Oddometer: 2
Haz

The crack starts near the toe of the weld in the HAZ (heat affected zone). The crack propagates out through the adjacent tube. The weld held, otherwise it would have cracked in the throat of the fillet weld. The panniers change the geometry of the moment arm on the sub frame. And substantially changes the direction of the force vector. Instead of the force being applied in a vertical direction. It now becomes a horizontal force when the pannier hits the ground first. One would think the welding engineers at triumph would have ran many Finite Element Analysis tests on this frame design and would have discovered a weak area and added a gusset to that area. If Triumph does not warranty the frame, have a professional welder penetrant inspect the crack to verify the size and length. A simple dye penetrant examination could show other cracks that the naked eye cant see. Good luck.
NoWarNoBulletBelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #57
stevedo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 38
1 year old xc with 7,500 miles I've had the following

1. Loose steering head bearings. Now have the new washer under the 38mm nut. Hope this will help keep it tight.
2. Broken front subframe. Removed "beak" and lower part of subframe fell on the floor having completely sheared off. Bike has not been crashed or dropped but has been ridden on a number of pistes in Morocco. Triumph refused warranty claim. Broken part is shown as No1 in this diagram http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560040
3. Rattle from top end after bike difficult to start after not being used for a couple of weeks. Would turn over but not fire. After a few attempts to start, engine started but made loud rattling noise at top end. Needed new cylinder head, cams etc all under warranty. Dealer said looked like oil starvation but not sure why. There were no symptoms leading up to this.
4. Got the bike back from the dealer after above work to find the following - empty coolant tank, clutch cable not attached/routed correctly and chain with about 10mm free play at its tightest point. Not faults of the bike but still issues.

Still love the bike
stevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #58
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedo View Post
1 year old xc with 7,500 miles I've had the following

1. Loose steering head bearings. Now have the new washer under the 38mm nut. Hope this will help keep it tight.
2. Broken front subframe. Removed "beak" and lower part of subframe fell on the floor having completely sheared off. Bike has not been crashed or dropped but has been ridden on a number of pistes in Morocco. Triumph refused warranty claim. Broken part is shown as No1 in this diagram http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560040
3. Rattle from top end after bike difficult to start after not being used for a couple of weeks. Would turn over but not fire. After a few attempts to start, engine started but made loud rattling noise at top end. Needed new cylinder head, cams etc all under warranty. Dealer said looked like oil starvation but not sure why. There were no symptoms leading up to this.
4. Got the bike back from the dealer after above work to find the following - empty coolant tank, clutch cable not attached/routed correctly and chain with about 10mm free play at its tightest point. Not faults of the bike but still issues.

Still love the bike
where do you live? I'd like to stay far away from that dealer!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #59
stevedo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
where do you live? I'd like to stay far away from that dealer!
I'm in the UK. I think you're safe
stevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #60
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha
 
dirtconnector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: shed out back, WNC
Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I arrived home a week ago to find the right front signal indicator hanging. Looks like the same issue. I super glued it abck together and used a washer under the mounting bolt. Doesnt really matter to me as I will soon be getting the LED signal indicators. I will keep the originals as spares in the tail bag for when I take it off road.
Here we go again. The rubber on these mounts is crap. The replacement light was found hanging when we stopped on a ride brake today. We ended up close to the dealer on the ride and they are going to replace it, but it's getting to be a PITA to keep going back to the dealer.

burmbuster, which light are you replacing with? Got a link?
__________________
I'm a low brow but I rock a little know how - Red Hot Chili Peppers
dirtconnector is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014