ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #76
Ian43ktm
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: North Ipswich Qld Australia
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
Mine started ticking right about that same mileage. It does it all the time. At the 6k service last summer, the dealer service guy said it sounded like the other Tigers they had in. We'll see how things look/sound at the next service interval.
Check the bottom sprocket on the timing chain , behind the cover on the rhs. My friends street triple motor was noisy and I thought it was valve clearance. There is a bolt , 6 or 8mm allen key that was loose. Once tight the noise was gone. Similar to the primary nut problem for those that know the rfs KTM engines. The noise travels and sounds like top end.
Ian43ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #77
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
Mine started ticking right about that same mileage. It does it all the time. At the 6k service last summer, the dealer service guy said it sounded like the other Tigers they had in. We'll see how things look/sound at the next service interval.
This noise is something really annoying in my opinion. Although I've heard the same story, "they all do it", it may be the thing that will push me over the edge to sell it. Mine is approaching 6K miles now.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #78
frytown
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 68
I'd posted about my issue in the regular 800 forum but here's the link to the end result:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post18958464

For anyone who might have the engine rattle issue, this may be useful?

Since I got it dealt with I've had no issues and I'm at about 7500 mi.
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #79
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusKTM View Post
Great thread. Regarding the turn signal issues.Tourtech are a tad pricey.
Look into Baja Designs. They have ha proven track record and for my money and experience, that is the direction I'll go. $52 a pair.
www.bajadesigns.com

http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/...lacement-parts

They are in the Dual Sport kit area
Nice find. I was just getting ready to order the Touratrash ones. Thanks.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #80
RichardU
Let's Ride
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 892
I have used these on a number of bikes successfully (but not the Tiger): http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=604190

I do not recommend the LED turn signals. They look great in your garage, but on they road, people can not see them. They'll get it right eventually, but not yet that I have seen.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #81
andykeck
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian43ktm View Post
Check the bottom sprocket on the timing chain , behind the cover on the rhs. My friends street triple motor was noisy and I thought it was valve clearance. There is a bolt , 6 or 8mm allen key that was loose. Once tight the noise was gone. Similar to the primary nut problem for those that know the rfs KTM engines. The noise travels and sounds like top end.
Yeah, I mean to pull that cover off and take a look, but I need to order the gasket first so I can button it back up right away.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #82
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
Yeah, I mean to pull that cover off and take a look, but I need to order the gasket first so I can button it back up right away.
Oh well... I would really appreciate a follow up. If it fixes the "tappet like ticking sound" it'll be great.

And shouldn't this be covered under warranty?
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #83
andykeck
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Oh well... I would really appreciate a follow up. If it fixes the "tappet like ticking sound" it'll be great.

And shouldn't this be covered under warranty?
It should be, but my dealer is not very convenient to me, and they already said they didn't think it was a problem.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #84
andykeck
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
It should be, but my dealer is not very convenient to me, and they already said they didn't think it was a problem.
...and by "not convenient", I mean they're just far enough away that it's difficult to get to/from without a long bus ride the iffy proposition of getting a cab to come pick me up out there.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #85
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
New problem

Seems that my neutral gear switch is messing up. I can get in neutral shifting up and down but sometimes the switch will only pick up the neutral position shifting up from first. So if I am sitting at a red light I have to shift all the way to 1st gear and then shift up to neutral in order for switch to pick it up.
And no, if the light is not on you can't crank it without the clutch pulled in. Even if its in neutral.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #86
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,562
The gear position sensor has had 3 different part #s that I know of. When I had mine replaced it took 8 weeks, but I have good luck. Call your dealer & tell them yours is toast. It will eventually throw a check engine light.
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #87
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Seems that my neutral gear switch is messing up. I can get in neutral shifting up and down but sometimes the switch will only pick up the neutral position shifting up from first. So if I am sitting at a red light I have to shift all the way to 1st gear and then shift up to neutral in order for switch to pick it up.
And no, if the light is not on you can't crank it without the clutch pulled in. Even if its in neutral.
pretty sure there was a recall on that...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #88
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
Recall list

Isnt there a site that you can enter your VIN and check for recalls?
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #89
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Isnt there a site that you can enter your VIN and check for recalls?
There used to be, but last I checked it is no longer available.

The only thing related to the issue that I can think of was SB 439, which was not a recall but a service bulletin, and it dealt with the replacement of gearshift return springs on a limited VIN range of bikes.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #90
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
advtenn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East TN.
Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
2013 XC with around 1400m so far..

Only problem I have is front wheel hop from 40-50MPH. May try some new tires soon. Dealer says he can't feel it and has never heard of anyone else having this problem.

Also, dealer installed my heated grips incorrectly, lead came lose and blew a fuse. So they ordered a new set under warranty. Week and a half later, no sign of them...

Sounds like I need to sit down and do a bolt check like I have to do on my KLR from time to time...

I had the wheel hop on my first set of tires. (Battlewings) When I changed tires 5,000 miles later the wheel hop went away.

I noticed a small oil leak on the lower right side. I tightned the case bolts and it seems to have stopped.

I had stalling/would not idle, issues due to a dirty stepper motor after about 7,000 miles. I blew it off with compressed air and havent had any issues lately.
__________________
bikes guns and shine


"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014