Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #976
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Yes - fuse moved and spares in my fuse kit.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #977
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Thanks for the replies fellas! I will be finding some of that lube and taking a look at it all probably next weekend!

If it is dirty, do i just wipe it with a damp cloth and then relube? I never relube anything without cleaning it first, just a habit of mine. It's like putting on clean clothes without showering... drives me nuts!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #978
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The conclusion I've seen on this subject was that it is the lower run of the chain slapping on the plastic swingarm protector.
Someone reckoned it mostly went away when he stuffed something between the plastic protector and the swingarm which, if true, suggests that the noise is actually the plastic protector hitting the swingarm having got hit itself by the chain.
Oh that's a pretty good call....

what are y'all views on chain tensioner...? Good or bad? Just stupid altogether?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #979
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
what are y'all views on chain tensioner...? Good or bad? Just stupid altogether?
My opinion is that it's not needed. The slap does not bother anything, other than the rider's ears.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #980
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
I've done some dirt road with washout and lots of bumps and the kickstand kept banging up and down on the bike. Anyone else this issue?
Slap and noise is part of off road riding with the Tiger. My issue was I lost the side stand spring twice. Since it killed the bike, I was close enough and was able to go back and find it. I got two new springs and replaced the original one and crimped the ends closed. So far I haven't lost it again, but I do carry the second one as a spare just in case.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #981
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
My opinion is that it's not needed. The slap does not bother anything, other than the rider's ears.
I agree. Doesn't bother me because it doesn't actually happen very often anyway.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #982
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562

Lube # 2
Old 01-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #983
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the input on the chain issue guys. Honestly, if it doesn't damage anything then i don't mind it either! I was just afraid of it banging too much and cracking the plastic thing or beating up the chain too much! But i trust you guys if you say it's nothing to worry about!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #984
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Front fender breaking, again!

The front fender on my '12 XC is cracking at the mounting hole where the reflector bolts on. The dealer covered the first one under warranty, assuming over tightening caused it. Now it's cracking again and my warranty is up. I think part of the problem might be the Tour-tech lift kit possibly allows more flex or vibration. I'm trying to come up with a way to reinforce the fender without adding a bunch of weight or creating some kind of monster that could end up in the front wheel! The dealer says mine is the only one he's seen but I can't believe my bike is the only fender eater out there! Any ideas?
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #985
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Slap and noise is part of off road riding with the Tiger. My issue was I lost the side stand spring twice. Since it killed the bike, I was close enough and was able to go back and find it. I got two new springs and replaced the original one and crimped the ends closed. So far I haven't lost it again, but I do carry the second one as a spare just in case.
There was an upgrade to those springs/recall at some point because of some failures. Noise isn't a big deal once you know what it is. Tensioners generally do more harm than good and get in the way.

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #986
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5INC View Post
The front fender on my '12 XC is cracking at the mounting hole where the reflector bolts on. The dealer covered the first one under warranty, assuming over tightening caused it. Now it's cracking again and my warranty is up. I think part of the problem might be the Tour-tech lift kit possibly allows more flex or vibration. I'm trying to come up with a way to reinforce the fender without adding a bunch of weight or creating some kind of monster that could end up in the front wheel! The dealer says mine is the only one he's seen but I can't believe my bike is the only fender eater out there! Any ideas?
I will have to check mine to see if there's any cracking; I have not noticed any so far.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #987
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Remove the bolt-on reflectors and use some high-quality retro-reflective tape there instead.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #988
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Remove the bolt-on reflectors and use some high-quality retro-reflective tape there instead.
Or just remove the reflector. Does anyone really care? We don't have them in Europe.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #989
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I did that after the first one broke.
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #990
T
®

Oddometer: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I will have to check mine to see if there's any cracking; I have not noticed any so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5INC View Post
I did that after the first one broke.

Front fender is an undernourished POS.
Roll into a bit of sticky mud. If any accumulates between the tire and fender it will crack in about four different places.

My f.fender is slathered with JB Weld.....and BB wants $200 for a stock replacement.