Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #106
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
Dude,

Super sorry to have misread your post. I was clearly smoking dust. Somehow I read it and thought you'd pulled the valve cover. Wow. Gotta get my reading comprehension skills back in line if I'm gonna keep posting.

Sorry to hear you've still got the noise.
Don't sweat it. If I had a dimes for every time I misread a thread or posted out of order, well, I'd have a shitload of dimes.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #107
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Coolant leak again...

Item 11 and 20 are my suspects. But neither looks like they are leaking. There are coolant drops hanging off the engine guard below this assembly, and a drop on the very end of the hose. But the hose doesn't look like it's leaking. It actually looks like the tiny hose that splits off of part 20 that goes up to the top of the motor - anyone know what that's for or what it connects to? It looks like it's wet there and the coolant runs down the metal connector and drips off.

Maybe I'll just have to drain the system and pull everything off, see if I can tell where there's a leaky connection. Or drop it to the dealer for warranty.....nawwwww.

EDIT: in looking closer at the diagram and parts name, it appears item 21 is what connects to 20, even though it looks like it's on the other side of the engine. This an $8 hose, may just pick one up and replace it. I think that's where it's leaking. There isn't a good way to clamp it either.

browneye screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 03:06 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #108
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,562
Part #11 is what connects to #20. Part #11 is the metal tubing at the bottom of the motor on the left side and is where I've got some discoloration. The white chalky color, you described.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #109
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Mine had leak ( I mean - leak leak, not just residue) from around part 11 from actual rubber hose from moment it was uncrated and filled up. But dealer took care of it by replacing it even before bike got to my hands. He said he sincerely never seen this before and blames OEM supplier for hoses. He said it looked like pinhole in rubber pipe.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #110
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

I ordered item 21 and a new spring clamp from Bike Bandit. For ten bucks it's worth a try.
Will install it and see if that fixes mine. Next would be the big hose, #11.

Got a hiflo-filtro oil filter for $7.95 from them while I was at it.

EDIT: BTW, was looking at the diagram again and notice a bleed screw for item 25. I imaging it's for purging air from the system on fill up. Anyone have a how-to from a service manual? Or is it just to fill and bleed on coolant replacement?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #111
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I ordered item 21 and a new spring clamp from Bike Bandit. For ten bucks it's worth a try.
Will install it and see if that fixes mine. Next would be the big hose, #11.

Got a hiflo-filtro oil filter for $7.95 from them while I was at it.

EDIT: BTW, was looking at the diagram again and notice a bleed screw for item 25. I imaging it's for purging air from the system on fill up. Anyone have a how-to from a service manual? Or is it just to fill and bleed on coolant replacement?

UPDATE (sorry for quoting myself )

I got my hose and clamp from bike bandit, installed it on the bike new years day. It appears it had been leaking at the top as well as the bottom of this hose. The new one fit much tighter and seems to have cured the leaking issue.

Without a service manual, which I have since ordered, I had no idea how to bleed the cooling system, nor did I know if it needed it. Apparently some early models had a bleed screw in the middle of the top/return hose but mine does not. Only a very little bit of coolant leaked out when I pulled the hose off the bottom to fit the new one. Topped off the tank just a bit, started it, and it seems to have burped all air and retracted some coolant from the bottle, no other issues. Test ride revealed nothing out of the ordinary, seems to be all good.

BTW, copies of the factory service manuals are a deal at manual wizard - $45 shipped.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #112
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
BTW, copies of the factory service manuals are a deal at manual wizard - $45 shipped.
I can't believe that's an official copy then. Be careful with that.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #113
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I can't believe that's an official copy then. Be careful with that.

It's not. It's a copy copy.

The guys on the tiger 800 forum have been buying them and they are a complete and accurate copy of the factory manual. I noticed you took exception to that over there. I'm happy to pay the guy $45 to copy a $200 manual since IMHO it should come with the bike like other manufacturers do, and because I'm just a cheap bastard anyway.

Seriously, they could burn CD's or DVD's and sell them for $35 or $40 like KTM does. But no....
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #114
cug
--

Quote:
It's not. It's a copy copy.
You mean it's a pirated copy. I didn't like the OEM price either, but I rather pay that than paying a "thief" for a pirated copy even 1 cent.

I think I paid $90 or so for the original. The $200 are way overstated.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #115
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
You mean it's a pirated copy. I didn't like the OEM price either, but I rather pay that than paying a "thief" for a pirated copy even 1 cent.

I think I paid $90 or so for the original. The $200 are way overstated.

I hear ya. BTW, are you going to come down and ride the Carrizo-Pozo ride with us later this month? Gonna have a group of Tigers riding together on the run.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #116
cug
--

Can't. Last Thursday I crashed my Tiger, hitting a deer and highsiding the bike. Broke my wrist, too, ripped the jacket and gloves open, broke the helmet, scraped boots and leather pants.

Bike is not totaled, but I don't know how long repairs will take, and I certainly don't know how long it'll take me to heal properly. My whole right hand is pretty busted at the moment.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #117
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Can't. Last Thursday I crashed my Tiger, hitting a deer and highsiding the bike. Broke my wrist, too, ripped the jacket and gloves open, broke the helmet, scraped boots and leather pants.

Bike is not totaled, but I don't know how long repairs will take, and I certainly don't know how long it'll take me to heal properly. My whole right hand is pretty busted at the moment.

Oh my. Sorry to hear that. Have you posted this elsewhere or is this your moment of truth?

Seriously, hope you heal up fast, that is absolutely the worst news for a rider.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #118
cug
--

Quote:
Oh my. Sorry to hear that. Have you posted this elsewhere or is this your moment of truth?
I've only mentioned it when it came up. Here's the whole story:

http://www.event-s.net/2012/12/oh-deer.html
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #119
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
I've only mentioned it when it came up. Here's the whole story:

http://www.event-s.net/2012/12/oh-deer.html
Sorry to hear about your crash. There was a black tank on ebay. It's gone now, did you buy it? Only know because I've been waiting for a white tank to appear for sale somewhere.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #120
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Sorry to hear about your crash. There was a black tank on ebay. It's gone now, did you buy it? Only know because I've been waiting for a white tank to appear for sale somewhere.
No, I didn't buy it. As I broke my wrist, the shop will have three to four weeks from now to fix the bike and the insurance will pay for it. So I'm fairly happy with that part.

Not so happy that Geico doesn't seem to cover protective gear other than the helmet, which is weird as it was a no-fault accident for me.