Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #1441
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Thanks.... anyone else aware of a recall/TSB on this part? Anyone have a link or PDF? A quick search here and on the UK site didn't turn anything up :(.

Shop opened her and confirmed it's the pin... also tried for warranty assistance (although I'm out of it) and was denied on the near 30k mileage :(.
Triumph don't post up their Technical Bulletins any more. You used to be able to enter your vin and check for outstanding TB's. That's gone for 18 months or so.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #1442
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Triumph don't post up their Technical Bulletins any more. You used to be able to enter your vin and check for outstanding TB's. That's gone for 18 months or so.

Yeah, I remember when that disappeared... just checking if someone might have picked up a copy from their service tech or something.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #1443
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
My gear indicator on the display sometimes doesn't keep up with the shifts or displays the wrong gear for a mile or two. Does this intermittently and hasnt done it in a while. Just wondering if anyone else had/has this happen to them. Otherwise 23K trouble free miles on a 2012 XC. (Other than stepper swap)
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #1444
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehusa View Post
My gear indicator on the display sometimes doesn't keep up with the shifts or displays the wrong gear for a mile or two. Does this intermittently and hasnt done it in a while. Just wondering if anyone else had/has this happen to them. Otherwise 23K trouble free miles on a 2012 XC. (Other than stepper swap)
You can clean it up & see if it helps. The original part number was changed. I doubt 2013 had the old part.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #1445
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 965
Yet another starting issue

12.8V
Press start button, relay clicks but starter doesn't engage
Pop starts and runs normal, 500 RPM idle, power applies as normal with slow or hard roll on

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #1446
RedBean25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
12.8V
Pop starts and runs normal, 500 RPM idle, power applies as normal with slow or hard roll on
Idle should be more like 1200-1300.
RedBean25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #1447
NABRXX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Tiger wont start when hot....

As in, 20 miles or so hot...nothing extreme is my point. When I let the bike cool off it starts fine. I dropped it off at the westchester NY Triumph dealer to troubleshoot and repair. I called him 24 hrs after I dropped the bike off and demonstrated the problem. He says it is a starter motor issue and he is trying to replace it under warranty. I'll keep you guys posted on the results. he says he will be keeping the bike for at least a week. Any insights would be appreciated!!
NABRXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #1448
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
12.8V
= Starter relay/solenoid

Here's the one I used to fix the wife's Virago 750 with the same problem:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_16125-442-OE...1148219&rpp=32

You can use or cut the flange off, then solder a wire to the rivet for your ground, or the flange if you use it.

Or you can buy the right one.

Also, sometimes it gets stuck and you can give it a mechanic's "tap tap" with an appropriate metallic blunt instrument. Take it off the bike first, and it may be a pretty good whack. Likely to occur again though, so have one on the way.

I'm sure it's related to your other issue from the bike dying from the starter fuse getting wet and eroding the tabs off, because those types of relays need enough current to burn off the deposits generated when the arc closed/open. When you have a bad/loose/fried connection like yours, you probably didn't put enough juice through it, and have buildup that led to the relay welding/sticking.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #1449
NABRXX
Adventurer

Update: BIKE WONT START WHEN HOT AFTER A RIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABRXX View Post
As in, 20 miles or so hot...nothing extreme is my point. When I let the bike cool off it starts fine. I dropped it off at the westchester NY Triumph dealer to troubleshoot and repair. I called him 24 hrs after I dropped the bike off and demonstrated the problem. He says it is a starter motor issue and he is trying to replace it under warranty. I'll keep you guys posted on the results. he says he will be keeping the bike for at least a week. Any insights would be appreciated!!
Update: I spoke to the dealer and they said the starter motor was no good. They received approval from headquarters to replace it under warranty. Starter motor is on the way, bike has been in the shop for 9 days...I will continue the update and I hope that this is the only bullshit I have to deal with regarding this bike having problems. Any insights are appreciated...
Old 06-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #1450
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Update: I spoke to the dealer and they said the starter motor was no good. They received approval from headquarters to replace it under warranty. Starter motor is on the way, bike has been in the shop for 9 days...I will continue the update and I hope that this is the only bullshit I have to deal with regarding this bike having problems. Any insights are appreciated...
What insights are you looking for? Your bike had a problem, dealer found the problem and Triumph is fixing it. Sounds like a pretty good outcome to me.

Get your bike back, ride it and enjoy.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #1451
Oddball
Starting over

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Just went through this myself. 2 months out of warranty. Dealer agreed with my assessment and I had it back in 8 days. Good luck.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:40 AM   #1452
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
To put it into perspective, Triumph uses thousands of these starter motors every year so the are bound to be one or two that are faulty. Hopefully that'll be the last problem you have.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #1453
NABRXX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
To put it into perspective, Triumph uses thousands of these starter motors every year so the are bound to be one or two that are faulty. Hopefully that'll be the last problem you have.
Yeah, I hear you...I guess I've had good luck with 99% of my bikes in my life and this ticks me off. I hope it's the only issue as I really enjoy the bike. Thanks all for your insights...:)
Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #1454
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
12k Service

So i'm approaching my 12k mile service and was asking roughly how much it'd be, i was told close to $1k... is that what you guys are paying too??

What's done for that price?!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #1455
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
So i'm approaching my 12k mile service and was asking roughly how much it'd be, i was told close to $1k... is that what you guys are paying too??
No idea. I bought the 12K mile service kit and did the work myself.