Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #332
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Like the Swedish flag! :)
That tank is the one that Annie Steel raced with in the Qz Safari in 2011
I bought it from safari Berg then Sold it to Lost.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #333
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
I have been waiting for almost a year for a subframe tank.. I am about to pack it in and buy the safari tank.. I have heard it is a pain to fit.. but Lostrider didnt seem to have much of an issue.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #334
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
The Safari tank had a few challenges to get working, partly because buying used from Dad it didn't quite come with all the parts needed but with a little phone support from him and a trip to the auto parts store I made it happen. I had to get my own parts to tap into the stock tank, fuel lines, and a T-fitting for the fuel lines. No big deal really once he pointed me in the right direction.
The main hang up was the metal insert that goes in the top of the oem tank not quite fitting, like was described in the safari install thread on UH forum.
I had to get moving south to Baja and wasn't going to let that slow me down, rounded the square edges with a Dremel, greased it up and took a big hammer to force it down in there. It was real tight but in. Next was locking it in place, which took me making a tool from a piece of aluminum stock with 2 bolts and 4 nuts so I could rotate the insert and lock it in.
The mounts don't quite all line up and it's best to get the bolts just in and leave them loose until you get them all in first.
My tank isn't quite center, but it doesn't leak and doesn't get in the way of riding. Maybe it's because it was used, maybe that's just how they are. Don't care though, as I roll by gas stations without stopping with a big smile on my face.
Sounds intimidating, but anyone with a little mechanical ability can do the same if need be.
I can post up some photos if needed.
One thing is for sure, having 4.2 gallons of fuel rocks, and worth the effort.
The whole 70 degree tank thing, and Dales very very poor communication skills to his customers makes it a no brainier to go with the alternative.... I emailed him days ago about having him do some suspension work, haven't heard a peep back and will be taking my business elsewhere.

Thank you all for the kind words, glad you like the photos! There's many more to come once I have time to update my RR.

Here's a short funny video from Baja in the mean time.

Mobile ADV Fix Complete

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #335
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Here's a short funny video from Baja in the mean time.
I'm just bummed to see that we have to wait until "Spring 2013" to see the full movie
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #336
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Lostrider are you carrying a tent with that setup? I have a bunch of tents for backpacking and for the GSA but I would think pack size would be the most important thing when using a Giant Loop or Rollie system?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #337
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
Yup,

Tent, sleeping bag, pad, grill, stove, pot, shoes, towel, etc.
All the basic essentials for me to travel and camp.

I think I posted up what I was carrying earlier in this thread.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #338
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
My kind of thread

This is right up my alley! i didn't realize there was thread for what I have been doing for over Twelve years and am now doing on my FE570S Husaberg. Outstanding stuff!

Did I miss it, or is the oil capacity issue still not resolved? I'd like seeing a kit to turn the frame into a reservoir, I'd buy that.

Also, about that tool box bash plate, has anyone thought of welding up one of those in a fuel tank? I think after looking at that tool box, I might go for the bash plate fuel tank.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the thread.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #339
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
This is right up my alley! i didn't realize there was thread for what I have been doing for over Twelve years and am now doing on my FE570S Husaberg. Outstanding stuff!

Did I miss it, or is the oil capacity issue still not resolved? I'd like seeing a kit to turn the frame into a reservoir, I'd buy that.

Also, about that tool box bash plate, has anyone thought of welding up one of those in a fuel tank? I think after looking at that tool box, I might go for the bash plate fuel tank.

Welcome!

BajaDad was talking about making a skid plate/oil resiovor a while back but I think he has been busy with other things recently
(like Baja, lol) and has not updated us on it. NowWhat over on the main 70degree forum is also getting a new skid plate that is supposed to increase oil capacity. He hasn't posted his up yet either. Like you I originally wanted a fuel tank there but after reading Lost's success with Safari tank and upcoming release of the subframe tank v.2 (don't really know but maybe happy thoughts will actually get it produced!) I have decided to a oil tank in that area would be better. I will just have to fork over the dough for two fuel tanks.

On another note, anyone know of any ride reports of some one taking the 570 across the TAT? I know Lost has done a portion of it and several member have went long, long distances on their but I can't seem to find any reports of folks taking the Berg all the way thru the TAT. I am planning to do the whole trail at the end if next summer and I would like to read up what others have done. I figure bike type doesn't really matter that much in planning but I would like to read about stories of Hsuabergs on the TAT.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #340
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
And sorry for the misspells and wrong words. I have quite a hard time typing on this ipad!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #341
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post

I'm still looking for a good and reasonably priced oil filter cover adapter, then I will plumb the frame for oil by welding in a few small threaded bungs. Thomas Berglund, Dakar Racer has a nice one for sale in his Berg Rally kit but it's very pricey and with Euro to US shipping was just a little too much for me at the moment.

Maybe if I could get Twin-Air to sell me just the oil adaper in this kit... anyone have friends there?

http://www.twinair.com/usa/news/150-...cooling-system

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #342
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I'm still looking for a good and reasonably priced oil filter cover adapter, then I will plumb the frame for oil by welding in a few small threaded bungs. Thomas Berglund, Dakar Racer has a nice one for sale in his Berg Rally kit but it's very pricey and with Euro to US shipping was just a little too much for me at the moment.

Maybe if I could get Twin-Air to sell me just the oil adaper in this kit... anyone have friends there?

http://www.twinair.com/usa/news/150-...cooling-system

On some of the 690's they have a oil sensor (or that is what I think it is). I was planning on utilizing this as the supply take off. Just a thought...

pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #343
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
On some of the 690's they have a oil sensor (or that is what I think it is). I was planning on utilizing this as the supply take off. Just a thought...

Interesting, but then would have to sort out a return port.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #344
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

The Berglund Racing oil cap adapter. No fixed pricing yet, maybe after he runs this years Dakar. Estimated $300 to $350 USD plus Euro to USA shipping.

http://www.husabergrally.com (site runs better in Chrome)

Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #345
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I had a couple ideas...a) tap into the case b) tap into the oil fill port c) tap into the oil drain port.

What rainy city do you live in?
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote