Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #496
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
Can you guys give an opinion on the build quality & installation process of your Safari front tanks. I tried their website but no info comes up . Just trying to get an idea of whats involved in installing it. Also if there is any problems down the road . How easy is it to remove & go back to stock when not needed ? Thanks , Max

Like anything motorcycle related methinks the Safari installation is quite subjective, what is difficult for some might not be for others. Granted there are reports of some being harder to install than others due to varying tolerances or how the tanks came out of the mold, but for I know they are all exactly the same and it's different people that have varying skills or attitudes towards fitting the tank. Or a little of both. I didn't expect it to be a perfect fit, from all the whining on the UH forum about them I expected it to be much worse than it really was to install it. I like figuring things out though and am not afraid to cut, grind, or bang on things to get the job done, I am a Roadie after all and the show must go on.

Taken from an earlier post of mine:

The Safari tank had a few challenges to get working, partly because buying used from BajaDad it didn't quite come with all the parts needed but with a little phone support from him and a trip to the auto parts store I made it happen. I had to get my own parts to tap into the stock tank, fuel lines, and a T-fitting for the fuel lines. No big deal really once he pointed me in the right direction.
The main hang up was the metal insert that goes in the top of the oem tank not quite fitting, like was described in the safari install thread on UH forum.
I ounded the square edges on the insert with a Dremel, greased it up and took a big hammer to force it down in there. It was real tight but in. Next was locking it in place, which took me making a tool from a piece of aluminum stock with 2 bolts and 4 nuts so I could rotate the insert and lock it in.

The rest of the mounts didn't quite all line up and it's best to get the bolts just in and leave them loose until you get them all in first.
My tank isn't quite center, but it doesn't leak and doesn't get in the way of riding. Maybe it's because it was used, maybe that's just how they are. Don't care though, as I roll by gas stations without stopping with a big smile on my face.

Now, after I had the tank installed I did have to take it off for some work on the motor, basically going back to stock for a quick minute, including removing the metal insert that goes in the top of the OEM tank.
It wasn't hard to take the tank off, just get a couple of the fuel quick releases like the OEM tank has going to the FI, most BMW dealerships stock them. With fuel line quick releases (something not included with the tank) and a homemade tool to rotate the tank insert I don't see why it couldn't be less than a 10 minute job to install or remove the Safari once you have it going.

6 bolts holding the tank to the frame, then the nut on the insert, disconnect fuel lines and off it goes. I carry the socket and extension needed in my kit and can remove my Safari trail side if need be. Going back to just the stock isn't needed for me, I'll never only want 2 gallons capacity, but getting it off trailside or for maintenance is obviously something that needs to be able to be done and fuel disconnects makes that easier. Should be no problem for someone to go back and forth with the tank if wanted IMO.

One thing I do know is that even though I didn't buy the tank from them, justgastanks.com gave me support and was very helpful when I had questions or thought I might need parts. That alone is worth something when justifying the cost of the tank, knowing you'll have good, immediate support from the vendor….

Hope that helps!

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #497
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 200
You got a response from Dale in 10 days?? I was on the list for a 70 degree tank as I paid for one back in February. It took 6 weeks to get a reply from Dale. Only after I posted the request in the Husaberg forum at another site did I get an answer and I got the same reply that he was out of town.. What a bunch of crap!!!

Taking a closer look at the safari tank now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one).. gone.. damit
05 Honda 650L.. gone
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #498
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
I have made my mind up...i will contact Ktmparts.com, who i ordered my tank from and see if they expect to get any of the limited run that Dale got made..I know I was first on their list... if not i will order the Safari tank and go that route

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #499
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
So what about the 4L rear tank in the official Husaberg catalog?

Is that the same tank? In other words, if I ordered it would they say something along the lines of "sorry but..."?

It's part # 812.07.904.055.44 in the 2012 catalog. It appears to have an auxilliary fuel pump in the picture, but no description.

Just wanted to find out if this is possibly a viable option or if I missed the start of the story with these tanks (the one that starts with, the berg factory ones aren't good enough because...)
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 AM   #500
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I have made my mind up...i will contact Ktmparts.com, who i ordered my tank from and see if they expect to get any of the limited run that Dale got made..I know I was first on their list... if not i will order the Safari tank and go that route

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hrm, reading that, "ktmparts.com" makes me think the Husaberg is the same one. Bugga.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #501
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Happy new year!

Let me be the first, a little prematurly, in wishing everyone a Happy New Year. May 2013 be filled with lots of time to ride, trails of exceptional beauty, difficulty, and satisfaction. May your tank not run dry, and may the Husaberg always purr like a kitten. 2012 was a good year, may your 2013 be even better.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #502
70°Stefano
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Happy new year from germany.We building the best bikes and have the best beer on the world.
70°Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #503
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Let me be the first, a little prematurly, in wishing everyone a Happy New Year. May 2013 be filled with lots of time to ride, trails of exceptional beauty, difficulty, and satisfaction. May your tank not run dry, and may the Husaberg always purr like a kitten. 2012 was a good year, may your 2013 be even better.

and may your 2013 trails be ridden on genuine pre-2013 husabergs. for verily they will try to deceive you with blue and yellow plastics, but fear no evil if thou ridest with the pre-2013 berg. it is written thou shalt not have 69 degrees of engine tilt, nor 71 degrees, but precisely 70 degrees. by this shall you know the true path.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #504
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Hrm, reading that, "ktmparts.com" makes me think the Husaberg is the same one. Bugga.
Yes same tank.. I dont know if they have any in stock or not..but if they did, it would be the old configuration... many people have had no problem with the old tank.. a few have had leaks around a couple of the mounting holes.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #505
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,891
The leaks can be fixed though, I am still using my original tank and have the new replacement sitting on a shelf in the garage.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #506
waldecker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Safari rear tank anyone?

Hi,
Have been following the 70 degree subtank saga for a while( yes, I have one on back order as well....) and wonder that no one here has mentioned the Safari rear tank- I happen to have a FE 570 where the previous owner has installed both front and rear Safari tanks giving a total of 26 liters- enough for 350 -400 km @ sightseeing pace.
Although the bike is noticeably heavier with full tanks the handling is still ok for anything but goat track single trails.
What I haven't tried so far is adding any luggage- has anyone tried something like the coyote saddle bag on top of the Safari rear tank? Any concerns re subframe with all that extra weight?
Cheers waldecker
waldecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #507
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldecker View Post
Hi,
Have been following the 70 degree subtank saga for a while( yes, I have one on back order as well....) and wonder that no one here has mentioned the Safari rear tank- I happen to have a FE 570 where the previous owner has installed both front and rear Safari tanks giving a total of 26 liters- enough for 350 -400 km @ sightseeing pace.
Although the bike is noticeably heavier with full tanks the handling is still ok for anything but goat track single trails.
What I haven't tried so far is adding any luggage- has anyone tried something like the coyote saddle bag on top of the Safari rear tank? Any concerns re subframe with all that extra weight?
Cheers waldecker
Just a littel info that I'd like to give you about that subframe holding up. I experienced a few issues with things staying together back there. My riding buddy constantly told me my fender looked like it was waving at everyone because it would flap up and down so much. I would return and find the screws loosened, and finally, the license plate sucked into the reat tire on a hard launch over some RR tracks. Well, that was the day that I started engineering somthing to support the rear of my bike besides a bunch of plastic and wood screws. If you go to the Unofficial Husaberg site, you can find my post on the "Flippy Flappy Rear Fender." That post details my fix. It worked extremely well, and is almost invisible. The long and the short of it is with this fix, I would have no issue with hanging more weight off the rear of my bike. It is now solid. The entire fix might have cost me $15 too, which aint bad.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #508
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,193
re: subframe strength, it appears to be strong enough to tow another bike. a mate on a 2002 berg 501 had his electrics go (surprise surprise). i didn't like the idea of putting the towrope on the footpeg so looped it through the hole under the seat. had to tow him about 15km up and down a pile of hills steep enough to have the rear wheel breaking traction.

not that i'm recommending that as a towing point, just that it survived the trip...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #509
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Just a littel info that I'd like to give you about that subframe holding up. I experienced a few issues with things staying together back there. My riding buddy constantly told me my fender looked like it was waving at everyone because it would flap up and down so much. I would return and find the screws loosened, and finally, the license plate sucked into the reat tire on a hard launch over some RR tracks. Well, that was the day that I started engineering somthing to support the rear of my bike besides a bunch of plastic and wood screws. If you go to the Unofficial Husaberg site, you can find my post on the "Flippy Flappy Rear Fender." That post details my fix. It worked extremely well, and is almost invisible. The long and the short of it is with this fix, I would have no issue with hanging more weight off the rear of my bike. It is now solid. The entire fix might have cost me $15 too, which aint bad.
Here's a link: http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16317

Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #510
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldecker View Post
Hi,
Cheers waldecker

From doing stupid shit like this to carrying a load through thousands of miles of rough terrain I have totally forgotten I have a plastic subframe - it's proven to me to be very strong and a non-issue of Husa ownership.
But, I too had issues with the bolts coming loose and a floppy tail, a couple of dabs of silicon glue on those bolts going into plastic took care of that long time ago and don't see any reason to bolster the tail more.

I was interested in the rear tank - more capacity, less money, the packing setup in the start of this thread was conceived with that very thought, but in the end that pack wasn't going to work for me due to how much time it took to get it all done, fine for 1 night rides, but way too complicated of strapping for day in and day out camping. Also I didn't want to have so much weight on the back of the bike with gear over a rear Safari. With the front Safari and my light camping load my bike feels very balanced and not much different from stock, for the kind of riding I prefer to do when traveling.

There very well might be a good solution to using a rear Safari with camping gear, I just didn't go that route and am content with my setup.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote