Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #91
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Finn, I would be interested in your lab oil results.

Did you hit some really gnarly speed bumps and catch 6" of air with a big BBQ load on the bike? Hardcore man!

I just went with another Berg for a little limber-up ride in the Capitol Clearcut errr.. Forest (WA) area yesterday. Wallowed in mud puddles, slid around on slimy clay, and generally meandered over big rocks, logs and roots -- a typical riding day in the Pacific Northwet.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #92
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
No big air, just needed to negotiate the packed holiday weekend roads with squadrons of Harley Clones turning gas into noise, I live near a very popular biker destination....

Beautiful riding you have there!
While my area sure does have it's beauty and good riding, I sure do miss riding in moist dark dirt with plenty of traction with lots of green all around. Rocks with some sand and then more rocks gets old with my A.D.D.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #93
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Took mine out for some groceries yesterday as well.. I made a wrong turn, however. Me desperately trying to keep the bike from a complete dunking.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #94
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Nice!

Good thing my hardcore grocery run didn't have trails like that, with the Giant Loop bags I have everything would have gotten soaked, possibly ruining the BBQ!

LostRider.com
Old 05-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #95
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,950
my inner geek says ditto on the oil sample, it'll be good to know the results. my geekiness makes me research then list known issues of bikes before i buy them, thread is here if anyone wants to have a look and see if i missed anything.

digesting all the info here on luggage, i needed stuff quickly for a three day ride after collecting the new berg. just got a 10 liter kriega tail bag and some cheap generic tank bag off fleabay.

these are a friggin awesome bike. the three day ride was a mix of tar, mountain tracks and fire roads. then its first gnarly single track ride last weekend. it just lapped up everything and has to be at or near the top of any list if you are after one bike to do everything. now if they would just put on an alloy subframe, add four liters to the tank and take the oil capacity to two liters....

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #96
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
if you are after one bike to do everything. now if they would just put on an alloy subframe, add four liters to the tank and take the oil capacity to two liters....

Won't happen on these models since they are phasing out the 70degree engine in 2013 (2012 is the last model year). Get 'em while you can.

There's solutions to the fuel situation (70degree subframe tank or Safari) and oil capacity (add on oil cooler or "tap-your-frame"). AL alloy frame, that will be some other conventional engined model down the road probably.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #97
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Won't happen on these models since they are phasing out the 70degree engine in 2013 (2012 is the last model year). Get 'em while you can. There's solutions to the fuel situation (70degree subframe tank or Safari) and oil capacity (add on oil cooler or "tap-your-frame"). AL alloy frame, that will be some other conventional engined model down the road probably.
yep, checked out the fuel options but blew the budget on the bike so just carrying extra in the tank bag for the time being. i read up on the tap your frame option for extra oil but haven't found any oil cooler that suited. is there a particular berg one you had in mind?
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #98
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
yep, checked out the fuel options but blew the budget on the bike so just carrying extra in the tank bag for the time being. i read up on the tap your frame option for extra oil but haven't found any oil cooler that suited. is there a particular berg one you had in mind?
I don't plan to do the oil mod any time soon since I don't race or push my 390 that hard and the PNW is pretty cool most of the time.

Only one I've seen is the Twin Air and it's for a KTM but I think could be used on a Berg with longer hoses because the oil filter covers are the same.

http://www.twinair.com/usa/news/150-...cooling-system

and there always the super-mod route I think most of us have seen by now.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #99
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Won't happen on these models since they are phasing out the 70degree engine in 2013 (2012 is the last model year). Get 'em while you can.
No more 70 degree engines? Wow! News to me! Any explanations on that or inside info? I wonder if the change was a KTM decision or from the Husaberg engineers?

Any links on info that talks about what is planned for a replacement engine?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #100
hillwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Word on other forums is that they are now going to be identical engines to the die-cast KTM line-up. Also, word is that Husaberg will now be KTM's entry-level brand vs. a premium brand. If true, this is quite a bad move.
hillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #101
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Look here for the latest scuttlebutt, this is the 70 Traveler Thread, lets not dilute this thread with general Husa news please.

http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15738

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...39366&page=151

LostRider.com
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #102
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

All dressed up for the party!

Having done far too much talking about going somewhere on the FE instead of actually doing so, it's time for me to get LOST, even if it's just for a short while.
I'm heading out tomorrow for a ride in Sequoia NP, hoping to get up in elevation and out of the triple digit heat found all around the SoCal deserts currently.

So here's my latest packing version for traveling solo self-supported, not having to worry about cold weather makes things much easier and my pack much smaller. It's going to be warm and dry.

Tent (no rain fly), bag, pad, cooking pot (no stove, that's what the axe is for), shorts, hat, headlamp, well stocked medical kit, fleece jacket, water filter, air pump, and some freeze dried food. And Scotch. That's not a comprehensive list but most things.

I moved my spare tubes inside the side panels by the radiator, covered with Gaffers tape to try and protect them. That and moving my tool bag to the tank bag freed up a little space in the Mojave for camping stuff and so far I'm pleased with this pack. Time will tell, but it's easy to strap it all down.
I also added a little more pre-load to the rear shock to try and help with the little bit of added weight, probably under 20 pounds with the 2 MSR bottles full total.

Time to get LOST!

LostRider.com
Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #103
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Looking forward to the pix!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #104
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
If you're riding highway up to Sequoia ... I'd go with a Trials tire out back. Makes for a great handling bike On and Off road. Only draw back (for me) is they make the bike TALLER.

They wear pretty well too. I've run the Michelin and the Pirelli. Both are good, Pirelli is cheaper. Better drive out dirt corners .... and talk about Tread Lightly ... if you believe in that, then Trials tires is way to go. Better traction off road in loose scree, over rocks ....and holds a line much better. I'll never go back to rear knobbies. On road MUCH better turning and the rear tire won't step out like a knobby can.

Have fun, should cool down up over 4000 ft. Lots of trails up there if you can find 'em.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #105
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Does this qualify as an adventure?

Went out with some buddies over the weekend - two day trip, 200+ miles of dual sporting each day. No mechanicals, no flats and no injuries. Some great trails & some great views. Some single track and a bunch of fire roads with some asphalt thrown in for good measure.

Here's one. Top of Hull Mountain at the lookout:

I was the only Husaberg amongst a sea of KTMs and other lesser brands