Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #31
Transient
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Why the Zumo is so expensive is beyond me. Cut the price in half and they'd still make a hefty profit, plus a ton more people would buy them. Le sigh.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #32
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
Why the Zumo is so expensive is beyond me. Cut the price in half and they'd still make a hefty profit, plus a ton more people would buy them. Le sigh.
Niche product in a niche market with little to no real competition = high price.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Hey worwig, what mount do you use for your Android? Thanks.
I use the RAM finger grip universal mount. I added a regulator to the back side to keep the phone charged.

I even modified it to let me use the camera while under way. Works fairly well, but camera shake is a problem.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #34
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I use the RAM finger grip universal mount. I added a regulator to the back side to keep the phone charged.

I even modified it to let me use the camera while under way. Works fairly well, but camera shake is a problem.
Thank you.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #35
Transient
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Niche product in a niche market with little to no real competition = high price.
Sure, but the market would be far larger with a reasonable price tag. $400 for the tiny 220 is absurd. $650 for a decent screen size makes rigging up a smartphone far more appealing. I'm sure they sell just fine to folks with a ton of money to burn, but geez.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
I tried using my iphone as a GPS. There are lots of places in the PNW to go where you have no cell coverage. No cell coverage means no map on the iphone. Screw that. I'll stick with my GPS. If you stay on major roads and highways then you are fine with the iphone as a GPS.
Why do people keep saying this?

Will a Garmin work if there's no map in it? NO. Of course not.
Will an iPhone work if there's no map in it? NO. Of course not.

It is *so easy* to solve this "problem"
1) Do not call the Google map a GPS - because it isn't
2) Buy a GPS app - like Motion X Drive. It's $3 to download and comes with a month of turn by turn directions.
3) Spend an additional $20 (currently on sale for $10) for a year's worth of use
4) This is the hard part for some people to understand, but it works the same was as a fucking Garmin. Download maps.

Seriously people, the "secret" to using an iPhone (and any other GPS) is to download maps.

No maps = no GPS
You do not need cell service to use a GPS. Period.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
nanisx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
When i was riding in south america i used an app called galileo for the iphone. It basically downloads maps to the phone so you dont need a data conection. The phone does take a while to find you on the map. Since there is no service but it works.
nanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Storm

I don't get it either, on page 2 I even mentioned Motion X as well as MotionX-gps which gives you topo maps.

But some I think rather bitch and carry on with what they know than actualy open the tool box and use the tools they have in there pocket.

As for weather and power:

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Mot...pd_sim_sbs_e_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post

2) Buy a GPS app - like Motion X Drive. It's $3 to download and comes with a month of turn by turn directions.
3) Spend an additional $20 (currently on sale for $10) for a year's worth of use
4) This is the hard part for some people to understand, but it works the same was as a fucking Garmin. Download maps.

Seriously people, the "secret" to using an iPhone (and any other GPS) is to download maps.

No maps = no GPS

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #39
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
Storm

But some I think rather bitch and carry on with what they know than actualy open the tool box and use the tools they have in there pocket.

Your bike sucks because it won't run when the tank is empty.
This vegetarian restaurant is shitty because they don't serve steak.
Don't buy a crescent wrench, because they suck as a hammer.

OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
There seems to be better options available with android phones , but don't want to turn this thread into iPhone vs android. This app coming out for android could be a winner though with the capability to preload google maps and satellite images. Designed by RTW guys it seems.

http://www.gpsmapp.com/index.php/en/user-manual

I'm close to ditching my Garmin.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #41
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
The download seems only linked from the spanish version of the website? Anyways, here it is: http://www.gpsmapp.com/index.php/es/...085/34-gpsmapp
Somebody with an android phone should install it and test it, so that I know whether it's worth it when my new phone arrives next week....
Gruesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #42
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
There seems to be better options available with android phones , but don't want to turn this thread into iPhone vs android. This app coming out for android could be a winner though with the capability to preload google maps and satellite images. Designed by RTW guys it seems.

Generally, you want to get vector maps. This program downloads raster maps, and it would take many GB of storage to get all of the maps you would want, and at a few different zoom levels.
I use CoPilot and OSMand for Android. Not sure there are a iPhone equals. But most of the apps that download maps for iPhone are going to download raster maps because they are so much smaller. I believe Navigon is one such for iPhone. Basically, if it pre downloads the entire country to rom, it is most likely raster.

I only use my Garmin now on long trips, mainly just because it is waterproof and the screen a bit easier to see in daylight.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #43
JCARRION
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:

Hi All .
I am Javier Carrion . I am the developer of that GpsMapp application . It is still a bit unfinished... we plan to get it ready in a month or so .

Being a (ex) Adventure biker (Madrid-Capetown in a Xl600 ) , TransAustralia (DR650) , Madrid-Lusaka (ATwin650) , I found that there was a missing gap in the navigation applications market. The need for a offline cacheable google maps .. but with the caching software being *inside* the application , so to update the map there is no longer need for a PC , a cable , etc.etc. .Just the fact of browsing the map , makes it stored on the memory for ever.

anyway , As with every app , what becomes simple , tends to grow in complexity. Then we had the idea of the waypoint sharing feature (so travellers can share a huge database of overland -related-waypoints in www.go-overland.co.uk ) , then we added the tracks sharing , and the "spot" like position publishing - all also in www.go-overland.co.uk).

Of special interest for bikers is the fuel computer ... at least for older bikes that have no fuel indicator . Also , the on-screen buttons have been made big enough to be used with riding gloves.

We are still testing the app , so as *a limited offer* -he he - we are flogging it for free. So the first users can help us to streamline the app , telling us what they like /dislike , etc.. .

If you find /can think of a feature that would be of utility in the app , and is missing... we would be most pleased to hear it , so we can implement it .

By the way ,. It is for both Android *and* iPhones/iPads/iPods.

To download the free android app .. just get it from the web . Alternatively , If you are a iPhone user.. then the process is just a little bit more complicated. Id need the UDID of the handset to cook a special version that would only work on that device

Thanks all for your time.
Javier.
JCARRION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #44
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
You can use Liquipel to waterproof your iPhone...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #45
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post

No maps = no GPS
It's amazing how after all this time there are still idiots out here that think a smart phone has to have cell service to work as a GPS, and those same idiots post up all the time trying to make that invalid point.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote