Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #46
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCARRION View Post
Hi All .
I am Javier Carrion . I am the developer of that GpsMapp application . It is still a bit unfinished... we plan to get it ready in a month or so .

Being a (ex) Adventure biker (Madrid-Capetown in a Xl600 ) , TransAustralia (DR650) , Madrid-Lusaka (ATwin650) , I found that there was a missing gap in the navigation applications market. The need for a offline cacheable google maps .. but with the caching software being *inside* the application , so to update the map there is no longer need for a PC , a cable , etc.etc. .Just the fact of browsing the map , makes it stored on the memory for ever.

anyway , As with every app , what becomes simple , tends to grow in complexity. Then we had the idea of the waypoint sharing feature (so travellers can share a huge database of overland -related-waypoints in www.go-overland.co.uk ) , then we added the tracks sharing , and the "spot" like position publishing - all also in www.go-overland.co.uk).

Of special interest for bikers is the fuel computer ... at least for older bikes that have no fuel indicator . Also , the on-screen buttons have been made big enough to be used with riding gloves.

We are still testing the app , so as *a limited offer* -he he - we are flogging it for free. So the first users can help us to streamline the app , telling us what they like /dislike , etc.. .

If you find /can think of a feature that would be of utility in the app , and is missing... we would be most pleased to hear it , so we can implement it .

By the way ,. It is for both Android *and* iPhones/iPads/iPods.

To download the free android app .. just get it from the web . Alternatively , If you are a iPhone user.. then the process is just a little bit more complicated. Id need the UDID of the handset to cook a special version that would only work on that device

Thanks all for your time.
Javier.
Hi Javier. Can't wait to have a look at the app. Particularly interest in the ability to store google earth tiles. Could you give an indication how big files get with the full zoom range, and how the storing of zoomed in data would work generally?

I particularly like the idea for areas as outback Namibia or Mongolia where there is limited to no digitized roads data and the only thing you can go off is erosion marks. Google earth can already show all the detail I need for areas that I've zoomed in Namibia, but being able to store the fully zoomed tiles would probably lead to massive files sizes.

It may be usefull maybe to work from a NAS storage device as well. Seagate already has a mobile version of this available and I'm imagining that this market will only grow given Apple's ridiculous paranoia with catering for external memory.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #47
2mpulsv
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 10
I use my Iphone

I am not usually riding in rain, so protection from the elements has not been an issue. I have the Garmin Drive app (about $40) downloaded and use that app for driving on roads to get turn by turn directions. I have the MotionX GPS ($3) and use it for off road riding. It works well for having satellite views of the trails and terrain. With the motionX app, you just have to make sure you select the area you will be riding in and download the satellite maps before you go riding or off the cell network.
2mpulsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #48
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
for Android users here is another option, put together by an inmate

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #49
MsSuzieQ
Adventure sister

Oddometer: 78
Option?

Go to google maps.. map out your entire trip.... click the option to send to your cell... download the FREE google map app... GPS works without cell service so no issues there.. throw the silly thing in your tank bag, hooked up to your power source (gps is a huge battery killer) and blue tooth the directions to you cardo headset... problem solved...

2000 V-Star 650 (Sold 5/30/12)
1999 Road King (hated it, gave to the boyfriend)
2006 Road Star Silverado (yeah, that's more like it)
MsSuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #50
Mosher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I ride with a cheap iPhone handlebar mount, sandwich bags and rubber bands for wet weather (normal a non issues with windshield protection) and a dual xgps150a wireless bluetooth GPS receiver. No service needed with the Dual
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #51
tommyid1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
i use my iPhone in the waterproof case that allows me to charge access all buttons and listen to music through if i wanted. i have a charging kit on my tiger and its in a ram mount on top of my gauge cluster. I'm currently using tom-tom for iPhone. all us and canada and mexico maps stored on the phone. no need for cell signal.
tommyid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #52
cherrywaves
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
iPhone will work however, in Afghanistan, I used a garmin while on patrols and if that unit gives me accurate coordinates enough to drop 105 rounds on a certain grid repeatedly, it's good enough by me for biking. That being said, I'm a apple guru and love my iPhone 4S so nothing away from the iPhone just the garmin line is damn near impossible to beat. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my thoughts
cherrywaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #53
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrywaves View Post
iPhone will work however, in Afghanistan, I used a garmin while on patrols and if that unit gives me accurate coordinates enough to drop 105 rounds on a certain grid repeatedly, it's good enough by me for biking. That being said, I'm a apple guru and love my iPhone 4S so nothing away from the iPhone just the garmin line is damn near impossible to beat. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cannot compete with dropping 105 ordinance on Afghanistan, but when my Garmin 550 crapped out because of rain in the mount pins, again - I pulled out my iPhone 4 with Navigon software and preloaded map data base, voice instructions over Bluetooth to my helmet headset and was able to continue until I found a replacement GPS 2 days later. When it rained I put the phone in tankbag map case to protect it. Voice commands still worked. Looking at the maps on any screen has made me crash too many times to believe.

I like having the iPhone for backup. Now the Zumo 660 is in service.

I hope to use the iphone to direct fire at French drivers who tailgate me.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #54
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
I/gps

Rode to Toronto from Anchorage. 4,700 miles, 6.5 days, to an address never seen. Just used the paper map and highlighter. Do not need to be entertained so no radio or blue sirius tooth GPS. No cell phone either. Did just fine. I love maps.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #55
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,350
I was debating on if I should get a GPS device but for some reason I like using paper maps on my tankbag pouch.
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #56
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
I was debating on if I should get a GPS device but for some reason I like using paper maps on my tankbag pouch.
To each his own, I guess... There's something about being able to be routed from virtually anywhere to anywhere without having to think about it, or be given an ETA for a waypoint that cannot be replaced by paper maps. GPSes are sometimes difficult to use, but for the basics, they're an invaluable resource. I won't ride my bike without one.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #57
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
make sure it has real GPS and not the Agps, which just uses towers to triangulate position...
AGPS stands for Assisted GPS. It's the same as regular GPS but uses cell towers and wireless network information to help lock on to the appropriate satellites. It speeds up positioning. It's a good feature, not to be avoided. I think you are confusing it with network positioning, that only gets you within 300 to 1,000 yards of your current position I believe. It's what Google maps does until it gets a lock on the sats.

Google maps for Android does have a caching feature, but Google have just announced that it will "soon" have full offline map capability. Watch this space.

Be aware too that the next version of iOS is likely to dump Google maps and offer its own mapping navigation service, although Google have vowed to keep all their features available. Since Apple does what it pleases without remorse only time will tell what they will allow Google to do.

You should also remember that Google Maps (at least on android) doesn't offer turn by turn navigation everywhere. Down here in Mexico you can get a list of directions, but you don;t get the voice and fancy interface that you see in the US. I'm not sure about Canada.

As for iPhone suitability, the screen is pretty small by most current smartphone standards, and it is fragile were it to fall off your bike. Consider an Otter Box. Turns it into a brick, but would probably withstand a small thermonuclear explosion.

Consider Ebay or one of those daily deal sites. I have a cheap Garmin C550. Not weatherproof, but only $60 or so. Add a ziplock bag and you're in business (I run it from its rechargeable battery)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #58
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,593
Wicked

I have traveled a fair bit on motorcycles and used paper maps, an iPhone, android, iPad and just did the last 2,000 miles with a Garmin Montana.

Here are some thoughts for you.

Paper maps don't tell you where you are. They work fine in cities when you can see street signs but are not as useful in the woods. (not useless, but can steer you wrong if you think you are somewhere you are not)

Smart phones are awesome!.......but fragile and critical to your safety. The iPhone tends to over heat and shut down in too much sunlight. Neither the iPhones retina display or the Androids best are even close to the sunlight readability of the Garmin units.

I love that my smartphone can do nearly everything any electronic device can.....but.....Because your phone is a potential lifeline to get help I've started to separate the tasks away from it. As much as I have tried to protect my phones I still got one wet on a trip. It was buried deep in a tank bag at the time and should of been safe. I found myself without GPS, MP3, and lost all communications for more than a week till I could replace the phone.

At home I use my smart phone for all those fun things. Out on a long trip it lives safey in a waterproof pocket so it's there as a PHONE if I need it. GPS functions are now carried out by a rugged, waterproof, dedicated gps. MP3 functions are carried out by an iPod,, etc. and backup emergency is a SPOT locator......which I made the mistake of getting the one that links to your smartphone You can send a 911 for emergency help with it, but all "check in okay" functions have to link through the phone, making a working phone a critical item again.

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #59
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
I believe in using the right tool for the job. Yeah, you can pound in a nail with a wrench, but a hammer is so much better suited to the task.

A waterproof GPS is the tool for electronic navigation on a bike. No worries about getting caught in the rain, whether there is cell phone coverage, if the interface works with gloves or getting separated from your phone in an accident. The right model is a treat to use. My iPhone is along for the ride for communication and entertainment, but it would be a compromise for navigation.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #60
GodSpeedRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Lifeproof iPhone case lets you do anything!

I have both. I use the GPS for long trips. The iPhone for everything else. If you are worried about durability and waterproofness with the iPhone get the lifeproof case. http://www.lifeproof.com/ Everyone who is worried about their iPhone hasn't heard of this. I can use my iPhone in the swimming pool and have even taken sexy pics of me and the lady in the shower. Otterbox has shit on this case. Expensive, but I would rather buy once, cry once.
GodSpeedRally is offline   Reply With Quote