Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #91
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Thanks. It's one of those places that as soon as you get home from it, you're thinking when the next time you can get back down there.
What you say is so true. I was in the Canyon with a group of riders a month ago now, and crossed the same roads you are describing, including to ElForte. Lots of great adventure. Lots of great people! Lots of stunning scenery. This was my second time in to the canyon. You guys are NUTS on the big bikes you're riding, but ride what you own and enjoy the adventure!

Interesting comment you had about the mayor of Urique. We met the current mayor in March.

I'm enjoying your ride report.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #92
Johnnydarock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Gasolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinbuck View Post
On a related point--how much range is needed for this trip through the canyon? I'm planning my ride for next year.
I'm sure the gas we purchased at Mesa de Arturo was not "premium" but I still got OK milage...probably 45 mpg. I posted daily milage in the blog but basically no single day was longer than 150 miles...but most of that is in 1st or 2nd gear. There's no need to bring extra gas containers. You just have to follow one basic rule...always get gas even if you don't think you need it. We could have got gas in Bato but decided to wait til Urique and they didn't have any.

John
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #93
MoodyBlues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
It smelled like gas at one time...

Like John said, I also noticed no significant range decrease but damn did it knock bad if you lugged it down. Keep the revs up and in the right gear and you wont really notice.

I have to say the fuel did appear to be very clean despite the recycled containers. I ran a shot of Lucas fuel inj cleaner and fresh premium when we got back. No problemo.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #94
Johnnydarock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DAY 4 Cont

DAY 4 - Urique to EL Fuerte Cont

From Mesa de Arturo its 35 miles to Tubares. Mesa is up in thick pine forest and the temperature is not that bad in April. There are several new gold mines along this road so the its kept in pretty good shape, however, there are a few rough spots and lots of sections of this deep baby-powder like substance the locals call "pulvo." Its hell getting stuck behind a big mine truck on this stuff...and then you try to pass with absolutly no visability. Sure tightens your sphincter.

Then the road drops in elevation fast and you're back down in semi-desert like landscape.

Stopped more and drank more this day.

Just eatin a little "pulvo" following Monte and Dan all day!

Close up of the cactus that were everywhere.

The road slowly snakes down the mountain and you can see the Rio Fuerte and Tubares way off in the distance.

Here's looking the other way...back towards Mesa de Arturo.

The bridge over the Rio Fuerte at Tubares.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #95
MoodyBlues
Gnarly Adventurer

John, was this the terrain feature that you named???

Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #96
Johnnydarock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
John, was this the terrain feature that you named???

I think I remember naming this geological formation..."penis rock."
Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #97
MoodyBlues
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah, I was close. I thought it was "Stoney Boner".

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #98
mtncrawler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
DAY 4 - Urique to EL Fuerte Cont

The bridge over the Rio Fuerte at Tubares.
I recognize that bridge!

I was there about a week or two ahead of you. Didn't have the same luck in Ol' Rio Urique!

Awesome ride report - keep it coming!
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #99
MoodyBlues
Gnarly Adventurer

Tubares and Beef Stew...

As we were generally headed down hill and the road was improving we started pick up the pace towards our lunch stop in Tubares. One good thing about switch backs is great photo ops. Here is John bringing it in. By now we had our leap frogging method of checking on each other down pretty good.

We crossed the river and rolled into Tubares right about lunch time, and with everyone learning their lesson from the day prior about carrying and drinking enough water we were feeling pretty good and hungry for some local cuisine at the "resturant". Well, as luck would have it the resturant was a very small store with a few local vegtables, some salsa verde Tostitos chips, and some ice cold Cokes.Time to bust out the Jetboils and some boil in a bag me and Monte had been packing since Phoenix.

Here I'm telling John how to open your pannier and have the Jetboil going by the time you stop.

Here is lunch cooking on the bike. Damn, those Cokes were cold thou. Not sure what Monte was doing. Peeing in my pannier?

John didn't have any hot chow packed with him, so we introduced him into the wonders of a Jetboil and the options it makes available to you.

With the only descent shade trees being in the middle of town and next to the cathedral and the local cemetery we took it. John said it looked like they had been slowly working on the cathedral since the last time he had been there. We all seemed to take a personal time out and walk thru the cemetery and do our own thing. Very humbling experiance seeing the graves and markers. Many were not much more than rocks and limbs tied together for a simple cross. Very few had names or dates. One I remember was dated as passing on Dec 1938.

One can only wonder about this grave.

There were two large bells that had been hung in the south side of the cemetery. The larger one was very unusual. It was a bronze bell and had several cracks in it.

The smaller one was also very impressive. Something about an item made in 1792 that makes me and my ride feel very insignificant. If this thing could only talk...

For some reason this was one of my favorite meals we had. No cold beer or fresh tacos. Just good conversation, cokes, and a shade tree next to the church.

Bellies full, we packed up and headed off to El Fuerte for the night!!!

MoodyBlues screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 10:40 AM
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #100
Johnnydarock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tubares Lunch, Choix and El Fuerte

Yup...we were feeling pretty good compared to the day before. The scenery was great and the riding was challenging but nothing too harry. But I think it was just pushing ourselves hard that made that boil-in-a-bag lunch taste so good. It was gooood.

I was here two years ago and the guys plastering that wall on the church asked me if I wanted to buy some pot.

The road follows the river for a while.

Then heads up and over a few passes.

I'm riding along...still in the middle of nowhere...and I come around a corner and the boys are drinking a Tecate at some little store. I was going so fast I flew by and had to turn around to get one myself.

I told the boys about the Pemex station in Choix that has some good looking attendants....and they're still there.

It's 57 miles from Tubares to Choix...all good dirt. Then another 28 miles of pavement from Choix to El Fuerte. Stayed at the Hotel La Choya right off the zocalo.

Then proceded to use the pool as our personal bathtub.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #101
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I have a 990 that looks just like the one in that picture
Come to think about it that is my 990
It was good seeing you guys
That freezed dried lunch might help explains the beer consumption
In El Fuerte that night
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #102
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 571
Full disclosure...

A. GREAT ride report. I really love the three pronged writing.
B. I WANNA GO!

But, in doing a little research I found the following. (I know 99.99999% of riders will never have any problems, but better to have all the facts)

Travel Advisory: Safety and security

Chihuahua
You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Chihuahua. The situation in the state of Chihuahua, specifically Ciudad Juarez, is of special concern. Ciudad Juarez has one of the highest murder rates in Mexico. The Mexican government reports that more than 3,100 people were killed in Ciudad Juarez in 2010 and 1,933 were killed in 2011. Three persons associated with the Consulate General were murdered in March 2010. The state of Chihuahua is normally entered through Columbus, NM, and the El Paso, Fabens and Fort Hancock, TX, ports-of-entry. There have been incidents of narcotics-related violence in the vicinity of the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua.

Keep safe and keep posting pix
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #103
Johnnydarock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Better Joke

Quote:
Ah, I was close. I thought it was "Stoney Boner".
I just thought of a better name...."Torres del Penis"
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #104
MoodyBlues
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA View Post
Travel Advisory: Safety and security

Chihuahua
You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Chihuahua. The situation in the state of Chihuahua, specifically Ciudad Juarez, is of special concern. Ciudad Juarez has one of the highest murder rates in Mexico. The Mexican government reports that more than 3,100 people were killed in Ciudad Juarez in 2010 and 1,933 were killed in 2011. Three persons associated with the Consulate General were murdered in March 2010. The state of Chihuahua is normally entered through Columbus, NM, and the El Paso, Fabens and Fort Hancock, TX, ports-of-entry. There have been incidents of narcotics-related violence in the vicinity of the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua.

Keep safe and keep posting pix
Thanks, but...

A. This was essential travel because we... told our wives it was.

B. I think the narco related violence was 2 old farmers arguing over who use to grow the best smoke.

And remember...
all the drugs are headed north... because they are going to the US.
all the guns are headed south... because they are coming from the US.

We were just getting away from the guns and drugs.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #105
MoodyBlues
Gnarly Adventurer

Great food and service!

Got to love the random new Tecate beer stores all over Mexico. This one was like a mirage or an oasis for Monte and me. With John a few minutes back, we went in and got 2 beers and a Coke for John. I was going to show John a full moon as he went by but I didn't get set in time and he was running about 50 when he passed. I didn't think he saw us so I yelled at him as he passed. He got on the brakes and went down the road to turn around. About that time we hear his bike die. We look thru the trees and see his helmet still up and a truck pull up to him. Then we hear him restart and the truck door close. With some excessive gas and a cloud of dust John rolls back to us. Seems he got stuck in the knee deep powder beside the road and roosted a local who helped push him out. They drove by laughing and waving. Good times.

As John said, we rolled into El Fuerte that evening. The hotel cement pond felt awesome and did actually serve as great bath to remove some of the dirt, dust, and sweat from the day. The hotel was very nice with interior parking and a great resturant on site. John beat us to the resturant and had some very cold Modelo waiting on us when Monte and me rolled in.

Modelo and fresh shrimp ceviche tostados hit the spot!