Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #46
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
ennybody that does a 'baja' ride and doesn't change the oil isn't gunna have much of a motor left.....

monkeys that brag about not changing their oil are pretty dumb.....

maybe if you get one of the jap enduros, you don't have to ever change the air filter, either....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #47
OurDee
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
I'm curious to know: What is the lightest street-legal stock dual sport available in the US? Say model years 2005-2012 to include used ones?

Thanks to everyone on this thread, here is what I found:
Yamaha TW200 --> 279 lbs. (wet) Source link
Above numbers are OEM claims. See this thread "What do the really weigh"

I have a 2010 TW200 with a CycleRacks rear rack on it. It weighs 284.8 with a full tank of gas. OEM wet weight is about right.
OurDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #48
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
I have read of a single 500 motor that someone changed a shim in. Most friends I race with never touch a valve for 2 years, they just don't need it. My previous 530 had 170+ hours without a valve needing to be changed.

Not familiar with the wrr and how much oil it holds, but 450 singles can't hold enough oil to NOT have more frequent oil changes.

I suppose it's all perspective. If someone doesn't want to change oil for a year vs a couple times a year, get something they are told doesn't need an oil change for a year. Anything with around 1.5 quarts of oil is going to have similar schedules, even my 690 uses less than 2 quarts.

...still, calling ktm's high maintenance seems ridiculous to me, but I've only had 5 of them. I don't drink any cool-aid, I just buy a bike for a purpose, and it seems that every time ktm builds a bike better suited to my purposes than other makers, and I've owned Japanese dirtbikes before. I do wish they were cheaper, riding a 15k dollar dirtbike does seem a bit foolish.
First off, an oil change every 10-15 hours (to me) means about every two days of riding, maybe three. That's a good weekend for me. So yeah, if you want to get right down to it, a KTM500EXC, while being a beast of a bike without compare, is high maintenance, according to the manufacturers specs. I'm sorry, but an oil change every week counts as a lot in my book. There, I said it. The trade off is it's a bad-ass ride.

Secondly, that paragraph above, is the very first time I have specifically referred to the KTM as high maintenance.

Don't believe me?

Re-read my posts.

I generally mean exactly what I say, and exactly what I said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
The KTM is a high-maintenance bitch compared to the WRR.
Quote:
Compared to a WRR, that is high (frequency) maintenance.
Quote:
Before the kool-aide drinkers try to lynch me, that statement was made in comparison to the WRR, and was made purely for the purpose of illustrating my point. I am a (semi)reformed kool-aider, having owned and loved an SMC for many years.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #49
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,263
My xt200 is about 220 pounds.
Its no ktm, but the suspension is quite good...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #50
rmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
What do they really weigh? - 12 pages of this.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316846
rmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #51
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
First off, an oil change every 10-15 hours (to me) means about every two days of riding, maybe three. That's a good weekend for me. So yeah, if you want to get right down to it, a KTM500EXC, while being a beast of a bike without compare, is high maintenance, according to the manufacturers specs. I'm sorry, but an oil change every week counts as a lot in my book. There, I said it. The trade off is it's a bad-ass ride.

Secondly, that paragraph above, is the very first time I have specifically referred to the KTM as high maintenance.

Don't believe me?

Re-read my posts.

I generally mean exactly what I say, and exactly what I said was:

Ok, I'll just say I really don't care if it's the first time you've referred to a ktm as high maintenance or not. I'll change my oil after every race weekend, possibly the next weekend if we're just training, and I guess it boils down to I don't mind changing it as much as it needs to be changed. I don't know of any decent offroad bike that isn't going to want it's oil changed that frequently, and I can't imagine buying a bike based on how often I need to spend 15 minutes doing maintenance. To each their own.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #52
Huskyfatman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffr2370 View Post
Husaberg FE570 256lb dry. 276lb with a full tank and ready to ride. Oh yeah, 60+ hp
60+ HP? Maybe at the crank, JD's dyno charts plus everything I've read puts a stock 570 a bit over 52. I'm not knocking the bike, my buddy owns one and likes it a lot, they are super cool!

The Zero electric bikes were pretty light, but seem to be gaining weight as they evolve.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #53
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Ok, I'll just say I really don't care if it's the first time you've referred to a ktm as high maintenance or not. I'll change my oil after every race weekend, possibly the next weekend if we're just training, and I guess it boils down to I don't mind changing it as much as it needs to be changed. I don't know of any decent offroad bike that isn't going to want it's oil changed that frequently, and I can't imagine buying a bike based on how often I need to spend 15 minutes doing maintenance. To each their own.
You're putting words in my mouth again. I never said I wouldn't buy a KTM because of high maintenance. I never said I would buy a WRR because it was low maintenance. I had an SMC as a dedicated track bike, I did oil, filters, tires, etc every other week. I did brakes, suspension, and other maintenance every few months.

All I said was comparing the KTM to the WRR, the KTM is high maintenance.

And I said it to illustrate a point, just like you wouldn't buy a bike based on when you have to do 15 minutes worth of work (BTW, even after five years of ownership the SMC oil change did NOT take 15 minutes), you wouldn't buy a XT over a KTM just because the dry weight is a few lbs less. That's why I wanted to know what the purpose of his enquiry was.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #54
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,421
Some simple input to an interesting thread concept.
Coming off a WR250R, I just bought a new 14' 350EXC. The weight loss is staggering. It seriously feels like a toy compared to the WR and has about double the power.
I actually enjoy maintaining my motos and don't mind the more frequent oil changes. I'm not sure you can even include the KTM lineup in the discussion as they are literally plated race bikes, I don't consider them a true dual sport...

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #55
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Ossa Explorer 280 - 185lbs wet
I want to get my wife one so I can ride it.
My son and I enjoy having a beer and maintaining the bikes. Its not a chore, its a privilege.
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #56
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,800
The way I see maintenance has nothing to do with whether they are or are not plated race bikes.

For instance I usually rode my XT350 pinned all the time just like a race bike. Therefore it got maintained like one. I quite literally changed the oil, cleaned the air filter and checked valve clearances after every thrashing because the wet sump motor didn't hold much oil and the top end is pretty fragile on those.

My 640 gets some of both. It will often go for months with just commuting and then it gets maintained pretty casually. But I also use it very hard offroad sometimes. It is a very fun bike to ride WFO so it gets ridden that way. When it does I give it race level maintenance afterwards including clean filters, fresh oil, etc.

So, to me, what the owners manual says means very little. If I use them in harsh conditions or run the pee out of a either milquetoast Japanese dual sport or a fire breathing orange dual sport it gets attention afterwards. If I ride them casually then they get maintained casually. It is all about how and where I use them.

Believe it or not when ridden like dual sports the oranges ones don't self destruct the instant you exceed the maintenance schedule and the Japanese ones really will self destruct when ridden like race bikes if they aren't maintained. The big difference is the oranges can be ridden like race bikes so they usually are.

To me, what makes the orange ones not the best dual sports isn't the maintenance schedule. Instead what they lack is a load carrying sub-frame, a cush hub and a forgiving motor. The orange motors vibrate more, throttle response is instantaneous and they will throw your dumb ass down if not shown some respect. So they are less friendly.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 09:36 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #57
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Good lord I just need to keep my fucking mouth shut about this shit.

All I wanted to know is why the specific interest in weight when comparing such dissimilar bikes.

I didn't want to know the worlds opinion on maintenance.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #58
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,800
You have been here since 2008. So you know perfectly well that ANY discussion about weight is going to involve KTM. Since KTM's are both the lightest and the most divisive about maintenance and reliability, where exactly did you think this was going to go? I knew we would be right here just from the title of the thread.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #59
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
You have been here since 2008. So you know perfectly well that ANY discussion about weight is going to involve KTM. Since KTM's are both the lightest and the most divisive about maintenance and reliability, where exactly did you think this was going to go? I knew we would be right here just from the title of the thread.
The thing is I figured the way I posted it wouldn't cause the orange koolaiders to come out of the woodwork. It's not like someone said "KTM is the best" and I spouted off "fuck KTM, too much maintenance, they're a time bomb"

All I wanted to know was why he wanted the information. I used KTM recommended maintenance as a comparative, because it is a consideration when buying a bike. And lets face it, from an XT to a WRR to a 500EXC, that's a hell of a spread of bike he's comparing.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #60
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
The thing is I figured the way I posted it wouldn't cause the orange koolaiders to come out of the woodwork. It's not like someone said "KTM is the best" and I spouted off "fuck KTM, too much maintenance, they're a time bomb"

All I wanted to know was why he wanted the information. I used KTM recommended maintenance as a comparative, because it is a consideration when buying a bike. And lets face it, from an XT to a WRR to a 500EXC, that's a hell of a spread of bike he's comparing.
Oh yes, you are just minding your own business by mentioning 'orange koolaiders'.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote