Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #61
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Oh yes, you are just minding your own business by mentioning 'orange koolaiders'.
I owned one for SIX YEARS! And used it as a dedicated track bike. I said in one of my earliest posts that I was a koolaider, and I still would be if I could afford to have more then two bikes in my garage. I considered it a point of pride. Hell, my fiancee named my bike "Leelu" after Milla J's character in Fifth Element because I once described my SMC as: "crazy but perfect"

Plus who said I was ever minding my own business? I never made that claim. I was blatantly and intentionally sticking my nose into the OP's business asking him why the interest in something so purely academic.

And I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if the mere mention of "KTM" and "maintenance" in the same post, even one as benign as "KTM's require more maintenance then a WRR", gets your hackles up about your bike, then maybe, just maybe, the negative connotation of the descriptive is fitting.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I owned one for SIX YEARS! And used it as a dedicated track bike. I said in one of my earliest posts that I was a koolaider, and I still would be if I could afford to have more then two bikes in my garage. I considered it a point of pride. Hell, my fiancee named my bike "Leelu" after Milla J's character in Fifth Element because I once described my SMC as: "crazy but perfect"

Plus who said I was ever minding my own business? I never made that claim. I was blatantly and intentionally sticking my nose into the OP's business asking him why the interest in something so purely academic.

And I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if the mere mention of "KTM" and "maintenance" in the same post, even one as benign as "KTM's require more maintenance then a WRR", gets your hackles up about your bike, then maybe, just maybe, the negative connotation of the descriptive is fitting.

Funny, that's not what you said..but that's ok. I'm not upset in the least, and anyone is welcome to say anything they want about ktm's, and even get upset if someone disagrees with them. I don't know anyone that wouldn't want to own the two best dualsport bikes made at the same time and am completely happy with my bike buying decisions. A stranger on the interweb certainly doesn't have the ability to make me doubt my choices.
wsmc831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #63
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goat View Post
Ossa Explorer 280 - 185lbs wet
Street legal? Or, is that a Canadian thing? I know when I bought my Beta, NY DMV didn't even know what it was... I told them it was a motorcycle. Maybe Ossa falls in the same category. (That's a cool looking bike, too.)
JustRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #64
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,448
If we get into the realm of unobtanium two strokes like that Ossa then a plated EXC 200, 250 or 300 would be my choice anyway. You get real suspension, the ability to handle some highway duty and serious power while still shaving a solid 20 pounds off even the lightest bikes in that list even wearing a full dual sport kit. Trials power and suspension would leave me cold after a day or two of playing mountain goat.

When it comes to power even my 200 punches in the Japanese 650 dual sport class with the 300's being in the realm of 450 MX bikes. All of them have suspension that can handle high speed whoops and jumps. You wouldn't want to ride one RTW since they use fuel like an SUV. But I am not planning a RTW trip. Instead I use it for an in town hooligan bike and to have a good time on ugly trails where 300 pounds is hell.

So I would love to see somebody manage to make a two stroke enduro DOT compliant with outboard and snowmobile tech. I know it has become outdated by recent events at KTM and Husky, but what this article was talking about is exactly what I want. Enough so that I rolled my own. A dual sport that is truly light weight, relatively cheap to rebuild and seriously fast off-road pushes all of my buttons because weight matters to me.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/13...-resurrection/
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #65
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
If we get into the realm of unobtanium two strokes like that Ossa then a plated EXC 200, 250 or 300 would be my choice anyway. You get real suspension, the ability to handle some highway duty and serious power while still shaving a solid 20 pounds off even the lightest bikes in that list even wearing a full dual sport kit. Trials power and suspension would leave me cold after a day or two of playing mountain goat.

When it comes to power even my 200 punches in the Japanese 650 dual sport class with the 300's being in the realm of 450 MX bikes. All of them have suspension that can handle high speed whoops and jumps. You wouldn't want to ride one RTW since they use fuel like an SUV. But I am not planning a RTW trip. Instead I use it for an in town hooligan bike and to have a good time on ugly trails where 300 pounds is hell.

So I would love to see somebody manage to make a two stroke enduro DOT compliant with outboard and snowmobile tech. I know it has become outdated by recent events at KTM and Husky, but what this article was talking about is exactly what I want. Enough so that I rolled my own. A dual sport that is truly light weight, relatively cheap to rebuild and seriously fast off-road pushes all of my buttons because weight matters to me.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/13...-resurrection/
Ossa not available in the states? Sounds like you need a exc500 for your enjoyment.
Show what you rolled out.
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #66
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goat View Post
......Show what you rolled out.
The Ossa-USA site doesn't even show it with lighting. So definitely not DOT here. But I like the idea. 75kg is crazy weight. This one on my home scale is just over 200 pounds tank empty.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #67
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Funny, that's not what you said..but that's ok. I'm not upset in the least, and anyone is welcome to say anything they want about ktm's, and even get upset if someone disagrees with them. I don't know anyone that wouldn't want to own the two best dualsport bikes made at the same time and am completely happy with my bike buying decisions. A stranger on the interweb certainly doesn't have the ability to make me doubt my choices.
I embellished it a bit for the purpose of making my post less dry, but yes, that's what I said.

And nothing in my post was intended to make you doubt your choices, I'm glad you're happy with your choices, it would suck to spend money on a bike you don't like. My post was intended to point out that you jumped to conclusions concerning what I said about KTM's, and immediately became very defensive about KTM's at the mere mention of the word "maintenance".

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #68
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The Ossa-USA site doesn't even show it with lighting. So definitely not DOT here. But I like the idea. 75kg is crazy weight. This one on my home scale is just over 200 pounds tank empty.

Nice. I bet it's a lot of fun
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #69
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Yeah, the KTMs give you big power and light weight.
+1

bestest power to weight ratio available
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #70
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
The one thing keeping the XT225 from being a true ultralight is the steel swingarm. If that was aluminum it would be great.
It would still be an XT-225. We have one (wife's bike). The swingarm is the least of it.

It's funny the apples to oranges that are being compared here. You have what are basically plated race bikes on the same list with mild play bikes.

If you want light and street legal, look at some of the GasGas. I had a plated 2-stroke GasGas, bought new, street legal, from a dealer but with some OEM options installed. Our local dealer (not the one I purchased the GasGas from) liked the product so much that they've since added it to their lines.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #71
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,455
Honda Grom 125 is around 220lb curb. Knobbies and a skid wouldn't be too hard to come by for one, but it's no dirtbike.

FX motos are supposed to be available in the US at around 125-150lb curb for 125cc and 250cc models, but I've never heard of anybody stateside having one.

Some of the electric dualsports are likely pretty light too.

Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #72
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Is this an academic exercise or a "which bike to buy" thread?

Which bike to buy, there are MANY other consideration than which is the absolute lightest when many are within a few punds of each other.

If an academic exercise, who the fuck cares.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #73
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,110
Your bike just sold here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931704
Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #74
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Lightest street legal offroad capable bikes are the KTM's. I love them and had three in the garage until last year. OTOH, I will admit that they are "plated dirt bikes" and everything that makes them awesome offroad, doesn't help on road and comes at a price (both financially as well as maintenance and longevity).

My KLR is down around 340 lbs (wet, no fuel) and while still very porky, is a much better bike for "real" dualsporting consisting of moderate offroad interspersed with decently long stretches of pavement.

2 cents,
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #75
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Having owned a WRR for two years, I can attest that it does need maintenance just like any other bike, especially if you trash it in the dirt. Mine burned oil, despite giving it a nice proper break in from new to seat the rings. Even if it had a 3000 mile interval you had to top it up every 1000 or so anyways. And you'd be stupid not to give all the bolts a once over after every couple of rides. The advantage is a much more robust electrical system and smooth as butter on the highway.