Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #76
1stgear
1 down 5 up

Oddometer: 42
There's no such thing as a "real" dual sport bike, they're all compromises, some oriented towards street, some to dirt. Had an XT225, the crank bearing went out after about 7,500 miles because I rode it too hard. Nice bike, 'till it blew up... it was about 250 pounds, I weighed it. Heavy and slow but easy to ride.

The KTM500 feels like a 250cc machine, amazing bike, can see why it got bike of the year, two years in a row.

The designs of most Japanese dual sports are 20 years old. Kinda hard to get excited about that. But yes, they can ride down the pavement real good.
1stgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #77
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
yeah, lot's of apples and oranges here. My WRR is a true dual sport and is porky...even with upgraded shock and WR450 forks it becomes a handful in the dirt at B level racing speeds (but handles more sedate trail speeds great). I weighed mine at 310 lbs with 1.5 gals of fuel. Oink. (I'm running a Corbin seat so that's good for an extra 5 lbs I'd guess). Then again, that weight is part of why it works so well on the highway. I think the engineers on this project knew what they were doing. A lot of the weight comes from a strong subframe, thicker brake rotors, etc., all of which are biased toward true dual-sporting.
With the suspension mods, it is the best true dual sport bike I've ever ridden....does both highway and dirt, as a combination bike, better than the factory plated 2013 KTM 500 excf (or whatever the heck it's called) that my bro in law owns.

My TE 310 is more of a plated dirt bike, so naturally does better in the dirt, but on the highway, even when geared up, it just gets the job done, nothing more. It weighes in at 270 with 1.5 gals of gas.

Both the above bikes have Dunlop D606's with ultra heavy tubes so they'd be a bit heavier than stock wheel setups also.

My goal is to someday get a plated KDX220/200 as they weigh only about 240 lbs with fuel and are very, very comfortable.. and can also be very fast off-road when properly modded. Highway-wise they'd be a joke, but I live only 15 minutes from my riding area.

kawagumby screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 10:40 AM
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #78
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
The WR450 doesn't come street legal (in the US) so technically doesn't qualify. I have a plate on my 300, does it qualify?
He's talking about the WR250R, (WRR) which he upgraded with WR450F forks (WRF). If it doesn't qualify it's because it's not stock, not because it's not factory street legal.

And no. Unless it's a factory street legal 300 (I think GasGas might make one?) then yours does not qualify.

Which is another weird thing about the question, plenty of people plate non-street legal bikes (I have a plated DRZ-E that I love), and those should probably be taken into consideration too.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #79
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Which is another weird thing about the question, plenty of people plate non-street legal bikes (I have a plated DRZ-E that I love), and those should probably be taken into consideration too.
Heck yes...it's fun to talk about all these bikes...pro's and con's...mebbe someone will use the info later in making a riding choice.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #80
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Do you guys get the new KTM Freeride 250R? It's street legal here and about 15 lbs less than the 350 4 stroke Freeride.
KTM's got some pretty optimistic numbers (Cycle world vs KTM would say - 690 336lbs vs 305 "ready to race"; 450EXC 276 lbs vs 249 etc)
Still I'm betting the 250R Freeride with all the lights and gear and 7 liters of fuel is under 230 which would be one of the lightest stock bikes...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #81
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
How about one of these?
http://www.fxbikes.com/
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #82
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
How about one of these?
http://www.fxbikes.com/
SWEET!! Thanks for posting that... had no idea stuff like that was out there! 125 lbs and a lot faster than me on a mountain bike!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #83
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I've been following FX with interest for about a year... and they made very little progress... So don't start saving your money. That bike is likely years away (if ever...)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #84
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,154
While it looks like a cool little hooligan/play bike, it wouldn't last a day on some of my dual sport rides. Given the way I break real motorcycle parts hammering my bikes on rocky trails I suspect that little bike would be shedding its bicycle parts faster then my golden retriever sheds fur.

It would be fun to toss around. That much I get and wouldn't mind having one for just that purpose. But even if they ever manage to get one homologated through DOT it would have pretty much zero use for me as a dual sport. Even my MXC 200 is borderline as a realistic dual sport.

So, to me, those go in the Honda Grom category of funky cool play bike rather than dual sport. Which, admittedly, is about where my MXC fits in even though it has a license plate.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #85
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Lightest street legal offroad capable bikes are the KTM's. I love them and had three in the garage until last year. OTOH, I will admit that they are "plated dirt bikes" and everything that makes them awesome offroad, doesn't help on road and comes at a price (both financially as well as maintenance and longevity).

My KLR is down around 340 lbs (wet, no fuel) and while still very porky, is a much better bike for "real" dualsporting consisting of moderate offroad interspersed with decently long stretches of pavement.

2 cents,
Dave
exactly why I have an EXC and a DR650. neither one is great at what the other does well. A TE610 comes pretty close.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #86
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,167
if you've ever really rode dirtbikes in the dirt, i think it's hard to argue the point that lighter is always better..... it's just easier to ride something lighter than something heavier, pretty much anywhere....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #87
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

I know this isn't a stock bike but I remember somewhere on this site there was a guy who had both a XR650R and a XR200 and both of them he put on major diets.

I think he had the XR650R down to 280 with a full tank ready to ride.

The XR200 - if I remember right he had a BBR frame, 230cc kit and had it down to something like 180 lbs. Anyone else remember seeing that?